PDA

View Full Version : Gear you haul around

dropkick
2006-10-31, 01:18
Mutinousdoug's thread about using a stove at low temps, and emergency gear got me thinking about the gear I carry in my vehicles.

In every vehicle I've ever had I carried basic tools, plus a shovel, bucket, saw, blanket, garbage bags, flashlight, change of clothes, coat, and some form of fire starter.

In the summer I also carry water.
In the winter I add insulated overalls, sleeping bag, food, sand bags, and tire chains.

This are just my basics that I always carry.

Actually, right now in the vehicle I use most often, I'm also carrying a tow chain, come along, pickmatic, cooler, 30 ft. of 1 in. nylon rope, 2 man tent, double bit axe, jumper cables, tire pump, 2 changes of clothing, plus other assorted junk. -It all fits in a plastic box inside my topper.

Besides emergencies I've always liked having the ability to go into the woods with little or no preparation needed.

What do you carry?

SGT Rock
2006-10-31, 03:57
Well I had a 10 essentials pack in a butt pack, plus I had jumper cables, tow strap, first aid kit, 2,000,000 candle light spot light, flashlight, and fold up nylon car top carrier, extra POL products for everything but the gas tank, a small set of tools, and probably a few other things that exscape me right now.

For a list of what is in my car now here. M240B machinegun, grenades, case of food, water, medic aid bag, 2,000 rounds, etc, etc, etc,

bird dog
2006-10-31, 09:39
I carry a small, universal tool kit, jumper cables and a few blankets along with items for work (A raid vest, M4, ammo, assorted clothing, gas mask, helmet, extra pair of Danner boots, briefcase with assorted paperwork, few bottles of water, some shelf stable food, etc).

I do not carry shovels, buckets, axes and/or saws because the chances of me getting snowed in while in my vehicle in Central North Carolina are about the same as Pappy and Jack going their seperate ways....or Turk getting a package via Canadian post in a couple of days.....or Rock carrying a 60# load for fun....or, well you get the point.

BD

bird dog
2006-10-31, 09:41
I should add that if I worked elsewhere, I would not have the extra stuff in my car. Probably just the tool kit, blanket, and jumper cables. BD

Streamweaver
2006-10-31, 11:40
Afishing pole,tackle,roll of TP and beer! What else do you need!? Ok I do have a sleeping bag and a tarp.

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-31, 13:43
In addition to what I posted on the "low temp" thread, Dropkick reminds me that I also carry a few Bic lighters, a bag of tools, trash bags, flashlight and tire chains.
This list does not contain the minutia I carry on my person such as: pocket knife, key chain LED light, cell phone, etc.

Take-a-knee
2006-10-31, 15:30
You guys got my feeble brain working, I carry tools and POL if I'm leaving my local area, the POL stuff and jumper cables are in a milk crate. TP, a knife or two and a Surefire flashlight are in the glove box along with a leatherman. I'm thinking I'll add one of those 5.11 type vests with a well-thought out survival kit stashed therein. This would also provide a tactical garment to cover up a serious handgun ( G-17 or a 1911) in the event you had to "bugout". I never thought that would be a likely scenario until reading about the families fleeing the hurricane last year, many were robbed, this went unreported by the MSM for fear of unrepentant "I told you so's" from whackos like yours truly.

Just Jeff
2006-10-31, 18:29
I don't usually carry much in my car b/c I'm in pretty temperate climates - FL coast, SC coast, CA coast. Just the standard - basic tools, jumper cables, TP, flashlight, etc. Always have an MRE and usually a few bottles of water in my Wrangler b/c I never know when I'll find a good Jeep trail. I cycle through the waters when I take the kids to practice anyway. Hehe - I used to have the MRE under the driver's seat and it would slide out sometimes. I had to move it to the back so my 7yo would stop asking if he could eat it every time we got in the Jeep!

I'm sure I'll add to that when I get to CO. Probably just keep a stocked pack in there - won't need so much room in my "office" if half of my gear is in the cars, will I?

dropkick
2006-10-31, 20:51
..... I'm thinking I'll add one of those 5.11 type vests with a well-thought out survival kit stashed therein. This would also provide a tactical garment to cover up a serious handgun ( G-17 or a 1911) in the event you had to "bugout". I never thought that would be a likely scenario until reading about the families fleeing the hurricane last year, many were robbed, this went unreported by the MSM for fear of unrepentant "I told you so's" from whackos like yours truly.
Off topic, but did you read about how the New Orleans mayor decided to ignore the 2nd amendment and had the cops confiscating firearms before the hurricane?
Some of the police got a little too enthusiastic about it too.
The NRA website has a film of them bouncing a little old lady off the walls of her house because she didn't want to give up her handgun.

-Real smart, let's take the weapons out of the hands of those that legally own them, just before they might need them to protect life and property.

This is why I'm against registration. It's the first step to confiscation.

-And not just in facist or dictatorial countries
i.e. Canada (1995 handguns get confiscated upon death of owner) New Zealand (1974 all revolvers confiscated) Australia (1996 semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic/pump shotguns confiscated) Great Britian, New York, etc.

Turk
2006-10-31, 21:27
umm, something strangely absent here in everybodys car kits...
no hammock? I keep at HH explorer and a -40deg synthetic bag in my car
year round. never know when you might need/want to hang around.

Also those with young kids certainly know the virtue of having pens, paper and a variety of games, cards, etc in the car.

Just Jeff
2006-11-01, 01:21
This is why I'm against registration. It's the first step to confiscation.

Worked for Hitler. "Oh, but we're different." So were they, then. Changed pretty quickly with a single ruler, though, didn't it - and he had the addresses of anyone equipped to oppose him.

I brought that up once and heard the argument, "But that's an outdated argument. I'd like to see a guy with a rifle go up against an Abrams or anything else in today's Army." Hrm...we may be making slow progress (maybe), but the Iraqis seem to be holding their own.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I hadn't heard that about the mayor, but it sounds like NO fit that mold.

Turk - yep - we have "car toys" that don't come into the house...just stay in the car. They're usually either fighting or playing the Gameboys, though.

Iceman
2006-11-01, 01:28
Baby wipes, lots. Gallon ziplock bags for the occasional berry or mushroom find. Two boxes of kid size juice drink bags/thingys, and two boxes of no melt granola bars. Kids are always thirsty, hungry and messy. Throw away camera. Hickory Mattock handle "CRD".

jimtanker
2006-11-01, 08:34
And heres Iceman's truck:

http://www.metropolismag.com/webimages/1609/072205CXT1VW_t346.jpg

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-01, 15:00
BD, Now Jack heard that!
He said to tell you he has in his car:

One Cellular phone and charger
One VISA Credit Card
and "On Star"

Says that should get him outta most any spot he could get into.

Oh and a liter of Pepsi for a mixer, and 2 Moon Pies.

For our Canadian Brothers and sister's a Moon Pie is a Southern cake/cookie.:beer:
Simply wonderful.

bodiak
2006-11-01, 18:12
Things I do carry: flashlight, assorted small tools, blanket, insulated coveralls, water, tow rope
Things I'll carry after reading posts: MRE pack with chemical heater bags, first-aid kit, shovel
Usually have a set of x-country skis and MSR Denali's all winter long back there

Turk
2006-11-01, 20:27
Oh and a liter of Pepsi for a mixer, and 2 Moon Pies.

For our Canadian Brothers and sister's a Moon Pie is a Southern cake/cookie.:beer:
Simply wonderful.

Not to stray off here, but I see this statement all the time across
a variety of hiking/ outdoor forums and sites. This constant
referal to 'moon pies'. Ever since I read some jokers ultralight packlist
that consisted of "1 hobo stick, 1 hankerchief, 1 dr. pepper and
2 moon pies."

Can someone tell me what the heck a Moon pie is? whats in it, and
what do they look like? Going down into Michigan next weekend,
would I be able to find one easily?

just one of those silly little things that has been bugging me
for a long time.

bodiak
2006-11-01, 22:22
I've always thought a moon pie was like one of those Vachon cakes that are shaped like a half-moon, chocolate cake with a white icing inside....aren't they called half-moons or something up here?

sailingsoul
2006-11-01, 22:25
I'm sure that there are much funnies replies but a "moon pie" is a type of junk food like a twinky but diff'. Basically they are about 5" round. The middle is marshmellow, in between two yellow cookies, then dipped in chocolate. GREAT with milk. Kids love then, like me. There like survival food. I keep them in my car thru the winter but I cant ever seem to find then in the spring. SS :captain:

jimtanker
2006-11-01, 22:28
I love me some moon pies. I ate a hell of a lot of them in Korea.

Moon Pies and Orange Nehi. mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm

bird dog
2006-11-01, 22:55
Turk, Im not sure that they sale them north of the mason dixon line (thats the imaginary line that divides the yanks from the southerners, unless of course you live in Louisianna, then the mason dixon line is considered to be Interstate 10). At any rate, if you cant find them, PM me and I'll send you a box canadian post. You should have them by next Christmas! Kidding, I'll FedEx them. BD

ShakeyLeggs
2006-11-02, 01:15
Dadburnit yall got this here yankee having hankerin fer a Moon Pie (http://www.moonpie.com/)

Iceman
2006-11-02, 01:45
Jimtanker, I sold the truck. My expedition is roomy enough for me.....

Also, Mooncakes are over rated.
Sort of like eating a disinegrating powdery foam pad. Beyuck! puke: Maybe soaking em' in Rum might help.....

bodiak
2006-11-02, 06:46
So if I take about 6 marshmallow puffs, which are 1 yellow cookie with marshmallow on top covered in chocolate, and stuff them all in my mouth, will I then have a moonpie experience?

bird dog
2006-11-02, 10:02
So if I take about 6 marshmallow puffs, which are 1 yellow cookie with marshmallow on top covered in chocolate, and stuff them all in my mouth, will I then have a moonpie experience?

Probably not. A MoonPie can never be duplicated. And for one to get the full effect of a MoonPie it must be consumed with an RC Cola. Not a Pepsi, Coke, or other soda, but an RC Cola. Im headed out of the house now. With all of the talk about MoonPies, I think I will buy a box for my trip to Linville Gorge this weekend. BD

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-02, 13:10
Moon pie and an RC, now that's living in the high cotton, get a chaw of baccy and make the world right. BD keep us posted on the Linville trip.
Gonna be cold.

You probably know this but the gorge is named after the Linville family that got massacured near the waterfalls, courtesy of the local indian population back in the day.

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-02, 13:18
Say Jim, you sure dem was Moon Pies over there, them Kimchi pies taste alot different. :biggrin:

Just Jeff
2006-11-02, 16:05
Kimchi pie? Ick. But I'll take a fresh Moon Pie any day. I just hate it when they sit on the shelf forever, so when you buy one the pie crumbles and the filling gets chewy.

Peanuts go in the RC.

bird dog
2006-11-02, 19:28
Moon pie and an RC, now that's living in the high cotton, get a chaw of baccy and make the world right. BD keep us posted on the Linville trip.
Gonna be cold.

You probably know this but the gorge is named after the Linville family that got massacured near the waterfalls, courtesy of the local indian population back in the day.

I plan on doing a trip review when I get back and posting it here. Basically, I have a whole new packing list (yes I used to carry everything in duplicate just like the Army taught me) and I'm trying it out. In 2007, I plan on hiking the Foothills trail, and doing Springer to Fontanna so I want to make sure this thing works for me.

Ive been to the Gorge several times and figured its probably a good test since it has everything (big climbs, water, etc.). I should have went last weekend when it was nice, since its suppose to be around 20 degrees Saturday night. Gonna be a cold night in the hammock.

I'll keep you all updated. But here is a glimpse of what you will see in my trip report - "Just Jeff, your tensioners part deux look alot easier to make than they are.....My fingers ARE KILLING ME. Can hardly type".:biggrin:

Pappy if you aint busy, come on up. We doing Babel Tower trail into the gorge.

BD

bird dog
2006-11-02, 19:29
Peanuts go in the RC.

Are you a Southerner in disguise? Not many people know that trick.

BD

Just Jeff
2006-11-02, 20:15
In disguise? I was born in Atlanta and raised in the woods near Athens in a no-stoplight town. We did get a flashing red light before I moved to the suburbs, though.

My mom's a damn yankee - born up North but saw the light and stayed down South. My Grandma knew her Civil War history like she wrote it, so she always gave me crap about how my mom's side of the family beat my dad's side (they're from Mississippi). When I was 5, I started bawling when she called me a yankee. I thought it was a dirty word or something!

I've only spent about 9 years outside of the South, 7 of them in the military.

bird dog
2006-11-02, 21:53
Yankee is a bad word (Sorry Turk). By the way, the second, third and fourth tensioner were easier than the first. BD

Just Jeff
2006-11-02, 23:42
Canuks aren't yankees. They're Canuks. :D

Tensioners sure help w/ silnylon - I had sore fingers while I was figuring out the process, too.

SGT Rock
2006-11-03, 03:51
My mom's a damn yankee - born up North but saw the light and stayed down South. My Grandma knew her Civil War history like she wrote it, so she always gave me crap about how my mom's side of the family beat my dad's side (they're from Mississippi).

You are showing your yankee half. She is either your Granny or Mamaw when you speak to a southerner.

bird dog
2006-11-03, 10:58
You are showing your yankee half. She is either your Granny or Mamaw when you speak to a southerner.

:biggrin: Spoken like a true southerner. BD

Just Jeff
2006-11-03, 11:11
Haha - true, very true. But SHE was a yankee so that's what we called her.

My dad's mom was Mama Lou (her name was Louise). That qualifies.

Pappyhighlife
2006-11-03, 12:01

BD

Sorry BD when the temp falls below 32 this old law dog stays in the crusier,
Jack and dem were shaking just reading your post. catch you in the spring.

Sissy Mary Pappy....................

john pickett
2006-11-03, 12:55
"I was born in Atlanta and raised in the woods near Athens in a no-stoplight town"

Just Jeff,
Which no-stoplight town near Athens? I spent 17 years in Macon and only made the trip to Athens once. My Mamaw (She-devil MIL) was a Yellowjackets fan. She didn't even want to hear about 4-legged bulldogs.
John Pickett

bird dog
2006-11-03, 15:40

BD

Sorry BD when the temp falls below 32 this old law dog stays in the crusier,
Jack and dem were shaking just reading your post. catch you in the spring.

Sissy Mary Pappy....................

Sniveler! I'll see you in the spring!

Actually, my buddy (who is a former Marine) could only go this weekend. So as not to give the Army a bad name by being outdone by a Marine, I will be in attendance. Conversely, I think he feels the same way and doesnt want to be outdone by an Army guy, so we are going AND WE WILL LIKE IT. Anytime in the woods is better than anytime in the city. No matter how cold it is! BD

bird dog
2006-11-03, 15:43
Sorry for getting so off track in this discussion, so I will try to get it back on by saying, I WOULD HAVE A MACCAT DELUXE IN MY CAR, IF I HAD A MACCAT DELUXE. (Hint, hint Brian. Your school break is fast approaching - Im sure you could use some Christmas money)! BD

Turk
2006-11-03, 19:07
And I would have An Old Rag Mtn! and weathershield if my wife would
just learn how to use a computer and buy it for me!

Just Jeff
2006-11-03, 19:19
Which no-stoplight town near Athens?

Statham.

I grew up a Dawgs fan before I even knew what college ball was, and I think almost half of my graduating class when to UGA. I was gonna be a traitor and take a ROTC scholarship to Tech if I didn't go to USAFA. Good thing, too - it was a Navy scholarship. I'd have been a squid!

john pickett
2006-11-06, 15:27
"I'd have been a squid!"

JJ, Wouldn't you have loved to follow in the footsteps of the last famous Navy Acadamy grad from Ga; our own Jimmy Carter?:damnmate:
John Pickett, a proud TEXAN:bandit:

Just Jeff
2006-11-06, 15:40
Haha. My dad had a fishing lure - it was shaped like peanut, but it had this huge plastic piece sticking out the front shaped like teeth. I never got the connection with fishing, but the peanut with big teeth was pretty funny.

I used to live about 5 minutes from Carter Center near Jimmy Carter Blvd in Norcross.