PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

Mutinousdoug
2006-11-04, 23:39
I posted this on Southern Paddler and thought it might fit here too:

Henry V:

If we are mark’d to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man’s company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call’d the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian.’
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.’
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he’ll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
This story shall the good man teach his son…

And so, Here's to you Vets.

JAK
2006-11-06, 13:53
My wife wants to go to Calais Maine next Saturday to do some shopping. I always like to check out a place called Marden's because they always have a lot of interesting clothes and hardware on clearance sales. But first I said, hey, what about Remembrance Day? She said we can always stop by the cenotaph in St. Stephen on the way back. Then I thought to myself, don't be an idiot, there has to be a cenotaph in Calais. So I will try and attend the service in Calais, and drop my poppy of on the cenotaph there, with a few extra thoughts to Sgt. Michael Seeley, and all his brothers in arms.

When I go back to Marden's I might think of Michael some more. I am sure he would have been in the store himself a few times in his life. Perhaps he might have had some trouble at the border a few times over the Jay Treaty and all that. Michael was of the Mi'kmaq. I will try and think of how much complaining I have done over lesser matters and minor inconveniences, and men like Sgt.. Seeley that focused more on living, and less on sniveling. Still, it would have been good to get him home. How do such people continue to give?

"Army Sgt. Michael T. Seeley, 27, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada; killed Monday in Baghdad when his vehicle struck an explosive; assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas."

john pickett
2006-11-06, 14:48
"How do such people continue to give?"

JAK,
It's simple. They are Patriots. They seek a common good for all, even at the greatest cost. "No greater love hath a man than this....."

I looked for a "smilie" appropriate for this but nothing comes close.
Veterans, Stand tall. You have our respect and admiration.
John Pickett

JAK
2006-11-06, 19:38
Very True.

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/halifax/news/atlantic/story.html?id=ff25d4ff-ce27-4e4f-ba94-197358686155

New Brunswick aboriginal killed in Iraq never questioned wisdom of the war
Chris Morris, Canadian Press

FREDERICTON (CP) - A Mi'kmaq mother whose son was killed in action with the U.S. army in Iraq says he never questioned the controversial war or his participation in it. Cpl. Michael Seeley, 27, of Fredericton was killed by insurgents while on patrol in Iraq earlier this week, just a few days before he was due to return home. His mother, Theresa Seeley, said Wednesday she just found out her son was being promoted to sergeant in recognition of his dedication and hard work during two tours of duty in the country. She called her son a true warrior. "He fully believed in it (the war)," she said in an interview from her Fredericton home. "He fully believed that people were being hurt who shouldn't be hurt and it was their job to protect them. He believed Saddam Hussein had to be stopped and that's what he did." Seeley said her son prepared the family, including father Lorne and five siblings, for the possibility that he would not survive Iraq. "He knew the risks," she said. "He knew his job was dangerous. He always preached to me, 'Be ready if it does happen. If it doesn't, that's great, but be ready.' I would try to brush it off because you don't want to hear that from your children . . . but he would insist." Seeley said her son's body was in Kuwait on Wednesday and was to be flown to Delaware for an autopsy. The body will then be flown to New Brunswick, but funeral arrangements had not been finalized.

Since Canadian aboriginals have dual citizenship and are considered citizens of North America, there is a long-standing tradition of First Nations people crossing the border to join the U.S. military. T. J. Burke, New Brunswick's newly appointed justice minister and the first aboriginal to be elected to the provincial legislature, is a former U.S. paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne based at Fort Bragg, N.C. Aboriginal leaders say there is a strong attraction for young people from Canada's high-unemployment reserves to look to the U.S. military for a career. Chief Terry Nelson of the Roseau River First Nation, about 90 kilometres south of Winnipeg, said the American military is more attractive than the Canadian Forces. "The U.S. army treats you a lot better," said Nelson, an Ojibway. "They're better equipped. I mean the Canadian army is not that well equipped. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a machine gun when you're only allowed a few bullets. "In the States, you're well trained, and the spirit is different. It's difficult to find a Canadian flag on a Canadian reserve. But in the U.S., all of the American reservations celebrate the fourth of July and there are flags everywhere." Seeley served in the Canadian Forces for almost two years before switching to the U.S. Marines. "It was the lure of the Marines," Barry Labillois, Seeley's uncle, said of his nephew's decision to leave Canada and join the U.S. forces.

JAK
2006-11-07, 09:17
I should not forget Marine Cpl. Bernard G. Gooden either.

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/goodenbernardg.html
Marine Cpl. Bernard G. Gooden
"22, of Mt. Vernon, New York.
Killed during a firefight in central Iraq. He was assigned to the 2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Died on April 4, 2003."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030409.usold0409/BNStory/National/
A new Canadian dies in Iraq
KELLY PATRICK

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Washington — He loved Canada, but died in Iraq fighting for the United States. Corporal Bernard Gooden, a 22-year-old tank gunner with the U.S. Marines, is the first Canadian to be killed in combat in the war to oust Saddam Hussein. The 5-foot-4 marine, who immigrated to the Toronto area from Jamaica in 1997, was killed in a gun battle in central Iraq on Friday. "All I'm hearing now in my head is: 'Your son Brent is dead. Brent is dead.' That's all I hear. 'Brent is dead,' " his mother, Carmen Palmer, said yesterday. "It keeps repeating, repeating itself. 'He's died in combat, Ma'am. He's died in combat.' "

[photo caption]
Bernard Gooden holds a picture of his son, Corporal Bernard Gooden, taken during training at CFB Trenton. He said Tuesday that he was proud of his son, a Canadian who had gone on to join the U.S. Marines and was killed last week in combat in Iraq. (Deborah Baic/The Globe and Mail)

Although there are Canadian soldiers in harm's way in Iraq and on warships in the Persian Gulf, Cpl. Gooden — who had served as a Canadian Forces reservist — had joined the U.S. Marines in June, 2001. His girlfriend, Elizabeth Knox, who met Cpl. Gooden during her first week at York University in Toronto, said they stayed up countless nights watching war movies in their residence room. But she insists he wasn't a warrior type. "He loved those movies, but he was so soft," she said. "He didn't go in [to the Marine Corps] wanting to fight." While based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Cpl. Gooden drove back to Toronto last summer to take his oath of citizenship. "He just always loved Canadian life," Ms. Knox said. Cpl. Gooden's mother, who was told on Sunday that her son had died, spoke warmly about how much he loved being a marine. He felt so safe in his tank that he called it his home, she said. The family plans to hold a memorial service and bury Cpl. Gooden at a banana and coffee plantation in Jamaica, where he played soldier games as a child. Cpl. Gooden left Jamaica at 16 to live with his father — Bernard Sr. — in Whitby, Ont., and seek a good education. He went to high school in Whitby, studied general arts at Centennial College from 1998 to 2000, when he went to York to study political science. He stayed there just one year. Mr. Gooden, who has been a maintenance worker at York University for 25 years, said one of his son's professors, Radhakrishnan Persaud, once approached him and asked if the student with his name was his son. "He said he's really good," Mr. Gooden said. "I was really proud of him." Mr. Gooden said his son had a slender build, so he was pleased when Cpl. Gooden decided to join the Canadian Forces. "He put on some weight," he said, proudly. Every second Thursday a bus picked up Cpl. Gooden for the ride to Kingston, where he spent the weekend training. He showed his father photos of himself building bridges, waterskiing and running in the bush toting his gun. The Canadian Forces paid him a small salary, "but not anything to speak of," Mr. Gooden said. Cpl. Gooden scraped together extra money working at a grocery store. Mr. Gooden said his son was "always a gentleman," and regularly attended his family's Pentecostal church in Toronto's west end. While at York, the school was hit by a strike. To pass the time, Cpl. Gooden went to stay in Mount Vernon, N.Y., with his mother. Before long, he told his father he would not be returning to York. "I said, 'Man, you could just hold on and see what happens with the strike,' " Mr. Gooden recalled. "He said, 'No, I'm not going back to university.' And that was the last time I talked to him." He said Ms. Palmer changed her phone number. "We fought because he wanted to go to the U.S. It wasn't the last talk I wanted to have with my son." Mr. Gooden said he did not know his son had joined the marines until his sister told him on Monday that Cpl. Gooden had been killed. "My head was spinning around," Mr. Gooden said. "I didn't want him to lose his life so young. . . . He is my first son. I gave him my name." Ms. Palmer said Cpl. Gooden had been excited to go to the Middle East, but once there wrote letters home describing the experience as "horrible." She sent him a package including cheese, crackers and other goodies. Through tears, she said yesterday that just days before he was killed, she had received a thank-you letter from him.

With reports by Tara Perkins and Associated Press

SGT Rock
2006-11-07, 09:24
And you know what else is a shame, those guys were going home this month.

JAK
2006-11-07, 09:59
I had heard that in the first story I read of Sgt. Michael T. Seeley's death. I understand he was killed while was on a training exercise showing replacement troops which roads to patrol when his convoy was attacked. He died just days before he was expected to return to his home base in Fort Hood, Tex.. Those stories are often the most heart breaking part of war.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2006/11/01/nb-seeleydead.html?ref=rss

'I said, "Please keep your head down," and he said, "Don't worry Mom, they won't get the best." Well on Monday they did.'
— Theresa Seeley

JAK
2006-11-10, 21:39
They had the funeral for Sgt Seeley up in Fredericton yesterday, two days before Remembrance Day. It was written up in today's newspaper. It was very well attended by the Mikm'aq people; the people of Fredericton; the New Brunswick Government, including the Lt.Governor, the Premier, and the Attorney General who is himself a Mikm'aq who has served in both the Canadian and American Services just as Sgt Seeley had, and many other of the Mikm'aq. The American Military provided an honour guard and the Canadian Armed Forces provided pall bearers. The American Flag was presented to his mother with the three shell casings. A member of the Mikm'aq people from St. Marys First Nation also participated in the ceremony, so that it was a traditional ceremony also, and he will have some tobacco when he reaches his ancestors. It seems he will be rather busy between spending time with his ancestors and guarding St. Peter's Gate with his fellow U.S. Marines, and whatever else his brothers-in-arms in the U.S. Army have in store for him.

I think it was very well done. He will be remembered.

bird dog
2006-11-11, 00:19
Happy Veterans Day to all who has and is serving.

Staff Sergeant Kevin McNeal
United States Army
1993 to 2000
19D

SGT Rock
2006-11-11, 02:07
Amen Brother.

It is already Veterans Day here in Iraq, and this morning when I got up I found this in todays news:

CNN) -- President Bush announced on Friday that the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration, will be awarded posthumously to Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham.

In April 2004, Dunham was leading a patrol in an Iraqi town near the Syrian border when the patrol stopped a convoy of cars leaving the scene of an attack on a Marine convoy, according to military and media accounts of the action.

An occupant of one of the cars attacked Dunham and the two fought hand to hand. As they fought, Dunham yelled to fellow Marines, "No, no watch his hand." The attacker then dropped a grenade and Dunham hurled himself on top of it, using his helmet to try to blunt the force of the blast.

Still, Dunham was critically wounded in the explosion and died eight days later at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland.

"As long as we have Marines like Corporal Dunham, America will never fear for her liberty," Bush said Friday as he announced that Dunham would receive the award. Bush spoke at the dedication of the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Virginia. (Watch announcement of award at museum -- 1:27)

"His was a selfless act of courage to save his fellow Marines," Sgt. Maj. Daniel A. Huff of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, was quoted as saying in Marine Corps News that April.

"He knew what he was doing," Lance Cpl. Jason A. Sanders, 21, of McAllester, Oklahoma, who was in Dunham's company, was quoted as saying by Marine Corps News. "He wanted to save Marines' lives from that grenade."

In various media accounts, fellow Marines told how Dunham had extended his enlistment shortly before he died so he could help his comrades.

"We told him he was crazy for coming out here," Lance Cpl. Mark E. Dean, 22, from Owasso, Oklahoma, said in Marine Corps News. "He decided to come out here and fight with us. All he wanted was to make sure his boys made it back home."

"He loved his country, believed in his mission, and wanted to stay with his fellow Marines and see the job through," Vice President Dick Cheney said when speaking of Dunham's heroism at a Disabled American Veterans conference in July 2004.

The Scio, New York, native would have been 25 years old on Friday.

In a letter urging Bush to honor Dunham with the Medal of Honor, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, called the Marine's actions "an act of unbelievable bravery and selflessness."

Dunham's story was told in the book "The Gift of Valor," written by Wall Street Journal reporter Michael Phillips.

Dunham will be the second American to receive the Medal of Honor from service in Iraq.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith was the other, honored for action near Baghdad International Airport in April 2003, in which he killed as many as 50 enemy combatants while helping wounded comrades to safety. Smith was the only U.S. soldier killed in the battle.

:flag-mari Semper Fi my Marine brothers.

bodiak
2006-11-11, 08:01
Allow me to offer my deepest respect to all vets visiting this site. Your dedication a nd sacrifice is truly appreciated by this Canuck

Take-a-knee
2006-11-11, 13:27
Allow me to tip my hat to some of the finest soldiers I ever trained with, the Canadians of the PPCLI. Those guys could shoot, ski, and operate in the arctic like it was a walk in the park. When they came up to Ft Wainwright in AK to train with us it was always a treat. Their drunken rendition of Mel Tillis' "I've got the hoss and you've got the saddle" truly had to be experienced to be appreciated. There is nothing quite like a bunch of drunk paratroopers.

SowthEfrikan
2006-11-12, 10:16
I'm able to sit in peace in my home because of veterans.

Thank you.

sailingsoul
2006-11-12, 23:17
As a veteran I am reminded , on every veterans day , that for those who had paid the ultamate price , my service was so much less . They gave all that we share now. We all , should never take our blessings lightly . Appreciate and enjoy them. Life is short. Happy veterans day to all. SS :captain: