PDA

View Full Version : Cheaha Mtn State Park

n2o2diver
2006-11-26, 20:02
Just finished all the trails in the Cheaha Wilderness Area to include the Chinnabee Silent / Skyway Loop / Cave Creek / Nubbin Creek / Odum(High Falls) Trails and a section of the Pinhoti. Will write a report when I have some time and I'm not so tired.:biggrin:

bird dog
2006-11-26, 20:08
Cant wait to read your report. BD

SGT Rock
2006-11-27, 04:20
Me either. I really love that area.

TGAMO
2011-07-30, 14:40
Hello all new here, but not new to the game. I stumbled across this site as I noticed a few comments about cheaha - My family and I love this area - Can someone please post some more info about possible trails, and good fishing sopts here?

Regards

Bearpaw
2011-07-30, 16:42
Hello all new here, but not new to the game. I stumbled across this site as I noticed a few comments about cheaha - My family and I love this area - Can someone please post some more info about possible trails, and good fishing sopts here?

Regards

Fishing? Little or none because it's mostly all up on the ridgeline with springs as water sources.

However, there are a number of very good trails in the area. The Pinhoti Trail runs pretty much through the middle of the area, though there is sort of a web of trails through the area, including the Chinnabee Silent Trail and Odum Falls Trail.

I don't know the best source for maps, but this site (http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/Pinhoti/PinhotiS.htm) gives you some profiles and a rough map of the area with trail descriptions. You could call the camp store in Cheaha State Park. They periodically carry maps of the area, though they have been sold out the last couple of times I have gone there.

If you haven't already visited Cheaha State Park, right next door to this area, do so. It offers views from the firetower on Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama. It also offers an outstanding view from Bald Rock, accessible by a .3 mile boardwalk. And the restaurant is pretty sweet as well.

Cuffs
2011-07-30, 22:38
N2O2!!! Where the hell you been?!? We walked a section of the Pinhoti back in 2007, Heflin to Burns, that we had to hitch out at Burns cuz of my bad knee.

Drop me a line and let me know what you've been up to!!

There is fishing at (oh crap, one too many margaritas in NOLA). Well, when I remember the place I'll let ya know!

TGAMO
2011-07-31, 00:19
I appreciate the feedback all - Fishing info in the area would be nice.

Regards

SGT Rock
2011-07-31, 16:11
It has been a few years since I hiked out there, so details aren't sharp in my mind. But it was winter time and I had it to myself and had a great time.

I didn't fish, but I did enjoy taking a very cold bath in a large stream in January.