PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel?

Hollowdweller
2006-12-03, 12:16
Hey Sarge,

Can you give me a little guidance on fuel?

I have been playing with the Ion on my stovetop.

I find if I fill it to where I can see alcohol at the top of the insulation it will light but burn very slow and not boil water and goes out quick.

If I fill it up to where the alcohol is up to the top it seems to light perfectly and burn even longer than it takes to boil water(about 13 min I think) Seems like I read a tablespoon full but I tried that and it's not enough. I think a shot glass is 1oz right?? A shot glass is far more than it will hold. I'm thinking maybe one of those shot glasses you get in a bar that are plastic and a smaller than a normal shot glass.

jimtanker
2006-12-03, 23:15
I either use 1/2 or 3/4 Oz of HEET (the fuel additive in a yellow bottle) in my Ion and never have a problem getting water to boil. The cap off of a soda bottle is approx. 1/4 Oz.

Depends on the conditions of course. In your kitchen, you should only need 1/2 Oz. Make sure you're using your reflector and windscreen with the stove. Also, make sure that the bottom of your pot is about 3/4 to 1 inch above the stove. YMMV

SGT Rock
2006-12-04, 04:40
The insulation can be taken out - I don't normally use it in mine unless it is very cold. You should only be trying to heat 16 ounces of water over the stove, and normally this should only take 1/2 ounce of fuel. Some people have found that the stove burns too long on that much fuel and doesn't achive boil - but this is normally caused by not enough air flow. I use the cap off a soda bottle - about 2-3 caps (depending on how much you fill one) is about 1/2 ounce.

Hollowdweller
2006-12-04, 09:23
OK. I went for a hike and made tea w/it outside yest

SGT Rock
2006-12-04, 10:29
Hey Hollowdweller, I have also found that the stove works a little better if you turn the stand so that the three "legs" are up and the pot is on top of the legs. This makes for less interference in the stove flame pattern.

SGT Rock
2006-12-04, 10:37
Here is the only picture I could find on my system here in Iraq.

Hollowdweller
2006-12-04, 13:44
I went out yesterday in the woods with the wife and Ms Kitty and had tea using it.

Took about 16 min for a liter. I like this little stove. It really burns a long time on very little fuel.