PDA

View Full Version : Your Xmas Wish List

Iceman
2006-12-04, 11:01
Under a month to go, what is on your xmas wish list?

My kids keep asking what I want....I keep telling them "peace and quiet", but they won't take that for an answer.

I have everything I need, but I can always upgrade what I have, brew ha ha ha ha!

Actually, I could really use a new turkey shotgun, or varmint rifle....titanium anything is good, some new liner socks, crampons and ice axe, Blackdiamond Megamid, camo netting for my boat...maybe a window tint job for my hunt rig...

Mostly, I simply want more time to spend in the woods, by myself, or with family or friends...this is what I really want for xmas.....how about you?

:santaclau :santaclau :santaclau :santaclau :santaclau :santaclau

Just Jeff
2006-12-04, 12:08
Time to use all of my gear would be nice, and a smooth move to NC.

This year, all of our family is giving us gift certificates to Lowe's so we can get stuff for the house. Good enough...everything I want is too expensive!

Lanthar
2006-12-04, 12:43
I've got about everything I need, however I would always enjoy a few more toys...

Titanium Anything (ditto)
Smartwool Socks - All kinds (dress, sport, hiking). If everyone who is going to get me a present just got me a pair of SW socks, I'd be a happy man.
Unimat 6-in-1 (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/843d/)
Gift Certs (ditto that they're handy for affording 'larger' items... like roll of Tyvek Homewrap)

oops56
2006-12-04, 12:55
Well i got everthing i ever need all i wish for is for me and my better half to live to a very old age

bird dog
2006-12-04, 16:55
Since I finally have my MacCat, I would like some time to use it (Gonna do the Foothills trail in April and hope I dont have to wait till then).

But, since you asked, I would like some smartwool socks, some of Brians silnylon stuff sacks, a new digital camera (I have one of the very first ones made), a down jacket, and some new Leki poles.

I know, its alot to ask for but one can dream. I really have everything I need.

I also want Rock and every other US Soldier to come home safely. I know how bad it sucks to be overseas away from family on Christmas (been there, done that, twice, and didnt even get a t-shirt). Your in my families prayers Rock as well as every other soldier.

BD

Just Jeff
2006-12-04, 19:28
Hey BD - why don't you come to the winter hammock campout we're putting together on Hammock Forums? Looks like it's gonna be one of the last weekends in January, at Mt Rogers. Assuming work lets me go, maybe we could set up a carpool with the NC folks...you're pretty much on the way for me.

There are a few threads there, but here's (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2986#post2986) the most recent one.

Hog On Ice
2006-12-04, 19:32
all I wish for is good weather to do some blowdown work right before New Years

Just Jeff
2006-12-04, 19:36
Good weather meaning storms, to give you a reason to go do blowdown work? Or good weather like clear and sunny, so you can go do the blowdowns that are already there?

'Cause for me, bad weather is good testing weather...my wife thinks I'm nuts when I get excited over cold temps and rain.

deadeye
2006-12-04, 20:04
Yeah, I got all I need,too:biggrin: But there are a few things I want, like a Granite Gear pack and a MacCat! But what I really want is to say thanks to all the people at HQ that make this the place it is. Despite hugely diverse backgrounds, we all have something basic in common.

So thanks...

to Bird Dog, for wanting something so bad that a bunch of strangers wanted it badly for him

to Just Jeff for having a great web site with lots of good info and informative reviews (yes, I did buy the OR sombrero!)

to Hollowdweller for the photo quizzes

to Ice Man for the wit

to Turk for a uniquely Canadian point of view, eh!

to Rock, Dixiecritter and all the rest of the soldiers and their families for their sacrifices so the rest of us can think about what's on our gear list

to everyone else I forgot to mention

Cheers!:beer: :beer:

TeeDee
2006-12-04, 21:50
I've got about everything I need, however I would always enjoy a few more toys...

Titanium Anything (ditto)
Smartwool Socks - All kinds (dress, sport, hiking). If everyone who is going to get me a present just got me a pair of SW socks, I'd be a happy man.
Unimat 6-in-1 (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/843d/)
Gift Certs (ditto that they're handy for affording 'larger' items... like roll of Tyvek Homewrap)

Lanthar - as to those Smartwool socks. Check out Costco. They have a wool sock with the same blend as Smartwool using Merino wool. Don't know if they use the blends in the same way or places. Bought a 4 pair bundle for $9.99 + tax.

They sure feel good.

Then you could spend a little more on something else.

Frolicking Dino
2006-12-04, 22:21
Since I do the Christmas shopping - I got a new down jacket, a pair of poly pro sock liners, 4 pairs of microfiber granny panties, a pair of convertible pants and two new pant suits.

Iceman
2006-12-05, 00:15
[QUOTE= microfiber granny panties....[/QUOTE]

Eeewwww! I have this nasty picture in my mind.....sounds like something Larry the cable guy would be shopping for!

SGT Rock
2006-12-05, 00:47
To get home to my family healthy, with everything still attached and still breathing (under my own power).

KLeth
2006-12-05, 01:25
1. Long life and life long wellness for my family and I.
2. Normal bloodpressure.
3. House.
4. Trip to Greenland.
5. Lavu (http://www.frisport.com/sites/produkter.asp?id=19&myActive=19&sitemod=gruppe)
6. Everything that can heat, cook or make light.
7. Micro-brewery or Beermachine.

Pappyhighlife
2006-12-05, 12:45
Yep, I got just about everything I need, business is good the family is great and healthy. Yeah I got a lot to be thankful for and life is better at 53 years than it was at any other time in my life.

I guess a cool wish would be for the First Shirt to come home safe and sound (Oh and get that job he wants, after all Bird Dog got his MacCat)
then all of us sit around a campfire and just shoot the sugar over a field brewed pots of coffee you guys are amazing and I would like to meet you one and all.
Yep, that's a good wish, maybe we could have a beer or twelve..<<..>>

Have good time this season boys and girls, it's all good.

bird dog
2006-12-05, 13:33
Hey BD - why don't you come to the winter hammock campout we're putting together on Hammock Forums? Looks like it's gonna be one of the last weekends in January, at Mt Rogers. Assuming work lets me go, maybe we could set up a carpool with the NC folks...you're pretty much on the way for me.

There are a few threads there, but here's (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2986#post2986) the most recent one.

Hey, now that sounds good. Then again, Id have to add a four season hammock setup to my Christmas List. Not sure my wife would see the humor in it. But, Im definately up for that! Im on my way out the door to go to work. I'll check it out tonight when I get home and get back with you! Thanks for the invite.

BD

Just Jeff
2006-12-05, 13:42
Everyone else is invited, too...even tenters, tarpers and other assorted misfits. Anyone who wants to come, just let me know so we find a site with enough room. Probably should PM me or post it over at Hammock Forums so we don't hijack this thread.

Or just show up take whatever space is left. The woods are big...

Hope to see lots of folks!

Just Jeff
2006-12-05, 13:44
Oh yeah - between all the folks going, we probably have some extra gear to loan someone if that's the only thing holding you back. Just be careful about camping in winter w/o having tested the setup first...should probably bring a bail-out plan. But we'll only be an hour or so from the road.

Frolicking Dino
2006-12-05, 17:24
Eeewwww! I have this nasty picture in my mind.....sounds like something Larry the cable guy would be shopping for!No way, larry got his new wife a rebel flag maternity thong.

Lanthar
2006-12-05, 18:16
Lanthar - as to those Smartwool socks. Check out Costco. They have a wool sock with the same blend as Smartwool using Merino wool. Don't know if they use the blends in the same way or places. Bought a 4 pair bundle for $9.99 + tax.

They sure feel good.

Then you could spend a little more on something else.

Hmmm? Gotta check those out... I've seen other merino blends that I don't like as much as smart wool (store brands)... but at that price it's worth trying them out.

Just Jeff
2006-12-05, 18:25
FD, any more comments like that and you're on my ignore list! Or at least on double-secret probation.

peter_pan
2006-12-06, 09:15
Yep, I got just about everything I need, business is good the family is great and healthy. Yeah I got a lot to be thankful for and life is better at 53 years than it was at any other time in my life.

I guess a cool wish would be for the First Shirt to come home safe and sound (Oh and get that job he wants, after all Bird Dog got his MacCat)
then all of us sit around a campfire and just shoot the sugar over a field brewed pots of coffee you guys are amazing and I would like to meet you one and all.
Yep, that's a good wish, maybe we could have a beer or twelve..<<..>>

Have good time this season boys and girls, it's all good.

ALCON,

Back to the thread...

Pappyhighlife says it perfectly for me ... So I save some keystrokes and say,
"Same again please Santa."

Pan

eyewall
2006-12-12, 01:47
mmm...xmas wish list...a nice long life after I retire on Jan 2nd, plenty of long hikes so that I can meet you all, a MacCat tarp, and a Nest UQ. Otrw, my own A-10 and F-22 Raptor would be cool, along with an Abrams Tank so that I don't have to get wet... :)

SGT Rock
2006-12-12, 04:51
mmm...xmas wish list...a nice long life after I retire on Jan 2nd, plenty of long hikes so that I can meet you all, a MacCat tarp, and a Nest UQ. Otrw, my own A-10 and F-22 Raptor would be cool, along with an Abrams Tank so that I don't have to get wet... :)
Some of that is what I want next to ask for next Christmas :dito:

But I don't mind getting my feet wet. A nice new pickup truck would be usefull though :driver:

JAK
2006-12-12, 16:10
Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

lucky luke
2006-12-13, 06:39
hi folks,

my wish for x-mas has been the same for many years now:

1 day of hunger for everybody on the world!

everybody! i mean fatassed politicians as well as gunslinging soldiers and horror-threatening priest, cops and jailers, judges and ... and ....
1 day of hunger for the millions in africa and asia who habe hunger everyday anyway.

because for them its no difference, for the rest it will change the view of the world forever! and it might just be the start to change the world... wishful thinking, i know, but after all its a wish, isnīt it?

hungry christmas everybody,
love, piece, warmth, and food for everyone!
lucky luke

JAK
2006-12-13, 10:45
Not a bad sentiment I suppose, taken in the proper context, whatever that is.
This carol has grown on me lately, perhaps because I like a good trudge in the snow now and then.

Good King Wenceslaus looked out on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.

“Hither, page, and stand by me, if you know it, telling,
Yonder peasant, who is he? Where and what his dwelling?”
“Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain,
Right against the forest fence, by Saint Agnes’ fountain.”

“Bring me food and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither,
You and I will see him dine, when we bear them thither.”
Page and monarch, forth they went, forth they went together,
Through the cold wind’s wild lament and the bitter weather.

“Sire, the night is darker now, and the wind blows stronger,
Fails my heart, I know not how; I can go no longer.”
“Mark my footsteps, my good page, tread now in them boldly,
You shall find the winter’s rage freeze your blood less coldly.”

In his master’s steps he trod, where the snow lay dinted;
Heat was in the very sod which the saint had printed.
Therefore, Christian men, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,
You who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.

SowthEfrikan
2006-12-13, 21:28
This Christmas I would like a kayak, paddle and all the accessories (I believe Santa heard about that and has them stashed in the garage), a Marmot Helium women's sleeping bag, two platypus hosers (3 liters), a Tarptent Contrail (I had to buy that for myself and it's going to get here in January, happy dance), and a renewed subscription to Backpacker magazine.

JAK
2006-12-14, 10:03
You are not supposed to go sneaking around peaking.
Santa will put you on the naughty list next year for sure.

Seeker
2006-12-24, 22:40
The important list. I want:

-Peace on earth, more love, less religion
-My buddies overseas to get home safe (and the rest of them, too.)
-The continued blessing of a happy, healthy family, a good job, and a nice place to live

The selfish list:

-Granite Gear Vapor Trail Pack and/or
-ULA Conduit Pack
-WM Alpinlite Sleeping Bag
-New hiking shoes
-More trays for my dehydrator
-Digital thermo meter/clock thingy dangler
-Squeeze tubes for PB
-My own canoe
-Digital Camera (I'm still using 'film'. you know, that thin plastic strip you have to take to get someone else to turn into pictures for you.)
-Sewing machine
-Access to a butcher who carries Landjaeger

and a portable hole, like that kid in the cartoon had.

stray1
2006-12-24, 23:42
I want all you "Legs" to become Paratroopers! :)

For our Brothers and Sisters deployed overseas to know the thrill of returning home safe and whole to your families!

TAK to get a HK-416 :biggrin:

I want a MacCat and to try a Hennesy Asym

Merry Christmas everyone and God Bless!

Take-a-knee
2006-12-25, 00:35
No H&K upper for me, I would like some sort of SPR upper, with a Leupold MRT in a LaRue mount. Also a JRB 3-piece set.

Frolicking Dino
2006-12-25, 07:58
Need to add a fancy coffee maker, an indoor waterfall, two oak chairs and some perfume to the list... more to come today.

SowthEfrikan
2006-12-26, 15:54
Oh good, someone else with a list that expands!

Just Jeff
2006-12-29, 11:11
I want all you "Legs" to become Paratroopers!

Moving into a jump billet next week! Got my freefall wings, but this is my first jump billet. Not really a paratrooper, but I'll be jumping with some. And maybe I'll stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

Seeker, I saw PB in single serving containers last week. I think it was JIF.

stray1
2006-12-30, 22:35
"Not really a paratrooper, but I'll be jumping with some." What do you mean?

Just Jeff
2006-12-31, 09:18
I'm in the AF, but I'm moving to Ft Bragg into an Army jump billet (joint billet in an Army command, actually). So I'll be jumping with the shooters.

Take-a-knee
2006-12-31, 10:57
Jeff, I'm sure they'll put you in the door on your first Division jump. That really is a good place to be. If it is a "standard" jump, it'll be T-10's out of a C-130. If you are ever on a jump with MC1-1C's (steerables) watch out for some knucklehead just running with the wind back through the stick. Mid-air entanglements are no fun. Don't lower your ALICE until you have to.

maryphyl
2007-01-01, 16:14
Well, Santa brought me lovely earrings. Sooooo, I ordered myself a few things from backpacking light--some fraction of an ounce stuff sacks and a couple of other everyday things because they had a 20% off deal. Now I'm happy :)

Just Jeff
2007-01-02, 09:05
Hehe - you gonna wear those nice earrings when you go test the new gear? Don't wanna hurt Santa's feelings, ya know!

stray1
2007-01-02, 20:35
Jeff, Have fun with the jumps! If your jumpin with the 82nd, you'll use T-10s (crash tens):). The 82nd wont jump MC1-1Ds because there will be too many "Sky Sharks"! Try and jump with SWC (swick). You'll get a MC1-1D and able to do a tailgate jump in a C-130 or CASA-212.

Feet and Knees together!

Take-a-knee
2007-01-02, 20:41
Stray1, when I retired, we were jumping MC1-!C's, what is the skinny on the D model?

stray1
2007-01-03, 22:58
Not much. Just another chance for the Army to buy new chutes! :)

The main difference is the reduced decent rate of 1.5 fps, anti-inversion netting and the toggles. The MC1-1E has longer suspention lines than both the C/D models.

maryphyl
2007-01-22, 10:53
Hehe - you gonna wear those nice earrings when you go test the new gear? Don't wanna hurt Santa's feelings, ya know!

>GRIN< mp

Arkie
2007-01-27, 22:35
As a flying crew chief i saw a lot of you guys jump out of my plane. I allways wanted to say "Hang out, I promise this plane will be back on the ground in a minute" :biggrin:

stray1
2007-01-29, 22:42
It was crazy enough taking off with you guys! We were the smart ones not want to land with you and were able to jump :).

Take-a-knee
2007-01-29, 23:14
I went through Military Freefall in Yuma AZ about 10 yrs ago (already late in life). They break you up into groups of guys of similar size and weight so that you'll fall at aproximately the same speed. Towards the end of the course, at about 25 or so jumps we got a new air crew (C130). Their first jump with us was an early morning 4AM (night) jump. The young Loadmaster did his thing and got the ramp down and sat down on his little seat, I remember he had a North Face cap on with his flight suit. It was the farm animals (the big uns) turn to jump first that morning, and they were really hamming it up 82nd style, stomping the floor and hollering . When the jumpmaster stood up and waved it looked like an NFL defensive squad (with rear-mounted rucksacks) moving toward the ramp, they leaped into the darkness. The loadie stood up off of his seat as they left the ramp, shaking his head in disbelief...it was quite humorous.

Just Jeff
2007-01-30, 01:58
When the jumpmaster stood up and waved it looked like an NFL defensive squad (with rear-mounted rucksacks) moving toward the ramp, they leaped into the darkness. The loadie stood up off of his seat as they left the ramp, shaking his head in disbelief...it was quite humorous.

Air Force, looking down from 30,000' - "Man, it must suck down there..."

Solder - "Man, it sucks down here..."

Ranger - "Man, I wish it could suck some more down here..."

I'm glad we have people like that...and I'm glad I'm not one of them!! I'll sure as hell jump with them, though!

Just found out the Army stopped recognizing AF freefall wings in 94...I got mine in 96, so I get to go to Ft Benning again. I'm an officer. In the Air Force. Going to Benning. Joy. (Should be a great time, actually...aside from the running and push-ups and hazing, it'll be a 3 week party.)

Hopefully they'll send me to MFF, too!