PDA

View Full Version : UV Water Treatment

Iceman
2006-12-05, 10:03
Has anyone experience with UV water treatment such as this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20083-cat20132&rid=&indexId=cat20132&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=4&parentType=index&parentId=cat20132&id=0038263

Looks interesting, won't filter your water, but quick, light, and dual purpose...or has someone (maybe even me...) already addressed this and I was sleeping...

Kea
2006-12-05, 11:10
The question is weight versus convenience.

It's not as effective when there is turbidity in the water, so you're going to have to carry a filter of some sort to handle that.

Hollowdweller
2006-12-05, 12:23
I've been curious about those myself. My only hesititation is they say it won't work with murky water and I don't know HOW murkey. Some of the places I go have that yellow tannic water and I'm not sure if it would work.

Skidsteer
2006-12-05, 16:00
Has anyone experience with UV water treatment such as this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20083-cat20132&rid=&indexId=cat20132&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=4&parentType=index&parentId=cat20132&id=0038263

Looks interesting, won't filter your water, but quick, light, and dual purpose...or has someone (maybe even me...) already addressed this and I was sleeping...

It's on my Christmas list. A quart of water in sixty seconds and I bet it can be adapted to a Gatorade bottle.

deadeye
2006-12-05, 20:05
Seems like a great idea, and supposed to be very effective. I'll bet good ol' North country tannin-tinted water wouldn't be a problem - that's still transparent vs. cloudy, muddy water where the UV light couldn't penetrate to do its job.

My only concern is relying on something relatively fragile (how many times have you dropped a water bottle on the rocks? now imagine it with a light bulb inside) and battery-dependent.

Then again, from the sixties to the turn of the century, I didn't treat the water at all. :reddy:

Mutinousdoug
2006-12-05, 23:11
I'm a little concerned with the tannic color change. For that matter, just because we can't see turbidity in visual light, does that mean that the UV light can see through the junk in the water we can't see? No spectral engineer here, just askin':albertein. Cain't see for cr@p without my trifocals. Then only in visual spectrum.

Turk
2006-12-06, 07:45
Then again, from the sixties to the turn of the century, I didn't treat the water at all. :reddy:

indeed. A fine point. Why have we suddenly become super paranoid freaks over our water quality. Or is it simply that technology has made it simple and convenient to take extra precaution?

deadeye
2006-12-06, 09:30
I think you hit it on the head there, Turk. I use a squeeze bottle filter, very convenient, no waiting, cheap, etc., so it's no hassle to treat. That may not be super-sanitized-ultra-filtered-no-way-nothin's-gonna-git-you water, but that's not what I'm in the woods for anyway. If I had to sit and pump my daily supply, or always wait for the chemicals to work, I probably wouldn't bother.

On the other hand, the logical support for treating water, at least in my neck of the woods, is that compared to the sixties, there's a lot more wildlife (esp. Moose & coyotes) around now, and a lot more people on the trail, both potentially fouling your water. For that reason, I choose to filter, not treat, and let the chips fall where they may. I also don't use obviously questionable water sources, i.e. murky, turbid, still or stagnant water.

As for the turbidity/tannic acid issue, just seems logical - purely an uneducated, uninformed guess. I've drank plenty of "Northwoods tea" without problem. Again, could be dumb luck, but I'll live with it.:bandit:

TeeDee
2006-12-06, 11:00
Then again you could use the MSR MIOX:

http://www.msrgear.com/filters/pump_free.asp

Take-a-knee
2006-12-06, 23:14
I have a MIOX, the last hike I went on the batteries were dead. They were only used on one previous 3-day hike a couple of months prior, and the batteries have a ten year shelf life, from that I assume it will quickly drain batteries. Maybe I just had some bad batteries, I don't know.

eyewall
2006-12-12, 01:34
I like the Steri-Pen product. www.hydro-photon.com/steripen_products.html. They have a newer (i.e. more expensive) version out called the Adventurer at REI, smaller and sturdier. Seems to me a bit more practical to use than the others, i.e., your not tied to a specific bottle size. Its on my Xmas List :)

KLeth
2006-12-12, 02:52
I have a MIOX, the last hike I went on the batteries were dead. They were only used on one previous 3-day hike a couple of months prior, and the batteries have a ten year shelf life, from that I assume it will quickly drain batteries. Maybe I just had some bad batteries, I don't know.
We first used our MIOX two years ago, just for a few litres of water. This year we used it to sterialize all our drinking water (8-10L per day) on our 12days trip. This we did on the original set of batteries even though we had a spare set.
Two CR123 should be sufficient to clean around 200L of water.