PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Review - Old Rag Mountain Quilt

neuHiker
2006-12-07, 00:07
As you guys can see by my name, I am a newbie to the hiking thing.

I have inherited from my parents a habit of getting into something new and jumping in with both feet. I, however, also learned to do research, just not enough.

In my initial steps, I read just enough to really get me into trouble. I bought a 6lb backpack that can carry my 8yr old daughter if I chop her up fine enough.

I then learned about hammocks. HH is the coolest of the cool for me.

I tried it out at Mother Neff State Park here in Texas, car camping. It got to the 40's and I froze my ass off. I used a windshield reflector, 30 degree Coleman Exponent Mummy bag and got zero sleep.

The next night I got a fleece bag and double bagged it adding a space blanket under the kaboodle. Same sleep pattern and left a day early.

Next car camping adventure was at Bastrop State Park here near Austin, TX. This time I tried to use that fleece bag as an underquilt. It worked pretty well the first night as there was no wind and temps to 60's at the lowest. Not bad.
I had the space blanket in reserve.

The next night the cold front hit. I had already installed the space blanket in the "underfleece" and it did squat next to the wind. I ended up in the car.

For my birthday/Christmas I convinced the spouse to allow (yes, allow) me to get a down quilt from JacksRBetter. What's more they had the Old Rag Mountain "on sale"... I think that was the clincher.

Now you know the past, lets get to the present.

NeuHiker - Ernest Gregg (Yes, I too am labeled Ernest)

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 215# (hence the reason to want to hike)

Experience: Limited - a few of the trails at the State Parks

Similar Products Used: Two things... and Jack left town.

Locations/conditions tested: Tested in my front yard near Austin, TX last weekend December 1, 2006. Winds were calm but temp got down to 37 degrees, verified by thermometer on my front porch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weight (advertised):25 oz

Weight (as tested):27oz (with all accouterments - stuff sack and suspenders)

Price: on sale at the time for $239.95 - ($252 with shipping)

Manufacturer web address: http://www.jacksrbetter.com

Phone Number: (757) 209-7240

E-mail address:jacksrbetterquilts@cox.net

Down Quilt with underquilt/top quilt/twin bed quilt capabilities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Construction, Design, or Initial Impression:
I knew it was light when I ordered it. I didn't realize HOW light until I received it. It's freaky light. I had to show it off to others (stuffed into it's stuff sack) by tossing to them and watching how they reacted. Most braced then gave the wide eyed stare. I was most pleased.

I was in a dilemma in choosing the JRB, Kick-Ass Quilt, Supershelter or making one myself. Well, I found out that I truly suck with a sewing machine. I am just not patient. The supershelter intrigued me but I am left wondering about additional insulation. The difference between the JRB and KAQ came down to packability.
Putting two JRB's in the space of one KAQ is the capper.

When I pulled the quilt out of the box, I was kinda worried... it looked so flat.
I laid it out and it puffed up after a bit and was quite warm albeit in my living room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Tests:
My backyard test is a front yard test. As previously stated the temp got down to 37. I was dressed with long johns, fleece bottoms and tops, two pairs of socks, shirt and a knit tuc (in Texas read toboggan - yes, I know that's a sled, but that what folks call 'em here).I had that Coleman Exponent 30 degree bag as an over quilt because it's a pain in the ass wiggling into a mummy bag in a hammock.

With the exception of waking several times due to coyotes howling and needing to whiz, I slept quite well. Only a little chill on my toes and upper arms. Compared to my previous experiences, I was snug as bug in a rug.

Trail Test:
None yet, but wanting to do so soon.

Conclusions/Recommendations:
I am most impressed with this quilt. Set up was easier than I expected, even for a novice. And in this I am very novice.

Anything else worth mentioning:
If Peter Pan or Smee get the chance to read this, I wish to convey my utmost appreciation for their products. I have so far purchased (or encouraged the purchase) several items.

bird dog
2006-12-07, 02:55
Anxious to see your other tests. I will be in the market for a three/four season setup after Christmas. I will start researching it soon. BD

Just Jeff
2006-12-07, 04:10
Glad you found something to keep you comfortable. JRB really makes quality products, don't they?

peter_pan
2006-12-07, 11:15
neuHiker,

Glad you like warm, comfortable JRB gear... Thanks for the compliment and writing the report.

Pan

Turk
2006-12-07, 17:58
*sigh........................*

How is it the whole world is getting Old Rag Mountains for christmas except me!!

So unfair.

*still crossing my fingers*

I'll probablly end up with socks ..... (and not smartwool or sealskinz. Im talking crappy everyday cotton)

bird dog
2006-12-07, 22:18
*sigh........................*

How is it the whole world is getting Old Rag Mountains for christmas except me!!

So unfair.

*still crossing my fingers*

I'll probablly end up with socks ..... (and not smartwool or sealskinz. Im talking crappy everyday cotton)

I got a MacCat and it wasnt even Christmas! There is still magic left in Christmas (If you grovel enough). Starting right after Christmas, I will begin harassing Peter Pan for a three season outfit for my HH! BD

P.S. Pan - sent you an email. Anxious for the reply

peter_pan
2006-12-08, 09:43
I got a MacCat and it wasnt even Christmas! There is still magic left in Christmas (If you grovel enough). Starting right after Christmas, I will begin harassing Peter Pan for a three season outfit for my HH! BD

P.S. Pan - sent you an email. Anxious for the reply

BD,

No email as of 0839 this AM.... received other mail this AM...Pls try to resend.

BTW... the elves are working overtime... all the really good little boys are on the list already.... :biggrin: . (we need a smiling santa)

Pan

Just Jeff
2006-12-08, 12:49
A green ultralight Santa wrapped in a NS and Nest?

peter_pan
2006-12-08, 16:51
A green ultralight Santa wrapped in a NS and Nest?

Heheeheheehhhe...

Yeah that is the one...where did he go? Darn elves , always ducking off....:elefant: Darn...there he goes making that pink elefant dance again...:elefant: :elefant:

Pan

bird dog
2006-12-08, 18:34
BD,

No email as of 0839 this AM.... received other mail this AM...Pls try to resend.

BTW... the elves are working overtime... all the really good little boys are on the list already.... :biggrin: . (we need a smiling santa)

Pan

Alright, I sent it again (to the Cox.net address). Guess I must have been bad this year cause I really want a nest and NS. :biggrin:

Guess its time for a new signature.

BD