PDA

View Full Version : Best "foilpak" Fish

KBob
2006-12-11, 09:02
I have been eating the Bumblebee, mesquite smoked tuna on wheat tortillas man that is good. Anybody found any other fish they like to carry on hikes, trips?

SGT Rock
2006-12-11, 10:06
Those little shrimp in some of the Zatarain's meals are good.

deadeye
2006-12-11, 11:02
Bumblebee or Starkist has a soy & ginger tuna steak that goes great with most of the oriental noodle dishes, and the shrimp in foil pack is my favorite addition to Pad Thai on the trail.

dropkick
2006-12-11, 20:02
I like to take foil pack salmon, mix it with crushed Ritz crackers and fry it.

Skidsteer
2006-12-11, 20:58
Plain ol' Chicken of the Sea salmon.

toddhiker
2006-12-11, 23:12
All the tuna you guys mentioned is great, and they have a Southwest chicken breast filet, too. All are great for FBC in couscous w/a mixture of seasonings and spices. Add a little alfredo sauce mix & a few Craisins for a touch of sweet and MMMMMMMMM.

And after all is said & done it's still a cheaper meal than store-bought freeze dried.

SGT Rock
2006-12-12, 04:38
Has anyone actually weighed the can that tuna comes in and compared that to the weight of the foil pack. I cannot remember the difference off the top off my head, but it seemed like it was less than 10 grams - but it also seemed the price of getting something in a foil pack was something like 50% higher. It has been a while since I compared these so I could be way off.

Skidsteer
2006-12-12, 08:04
An empty 3 oz. foilpack weighs 6 g. Maybe someone else has an empty can laying around.

deadeye
2006-12-12, 09:26
Another bonus: try making a stove or anti-rodent bag hanger out of the empty foil pack!

KBob
2006-12-12, 12:11
Two things, one the tuna in the foilpak is a tuna steak not chopped meat. Second I would believe that the can is pretty heavy as it has alot of water or oil in it. Gee Sgt Rock aren't you a MRE type pf guy. tuna ala king.

Hollowdweller
2006-12-12, 16:22
Y'all have brought up a subject near and dear to my heart.

Are those foil pack thingies cool or what? In fact, it seems like more and more food all the time is getting more backpacking friendly.

I absolutely detest tuna but I love the tuna steaks you speak of.

JAK
2006-12-12, 16:28
The calorie to weight or even volume ratio of all canned goods is really not that great, even without the can, but sometimes I bring a can of sardines or kippers just to play around with making a stove. Smoked salmon is a nice choice. You can still heat it up even though you don't have to. In winter I might play around with cooking up some fresh stuff. Something I might do is to ski up the river and trade something in return for some fish from some ice-fisherman, or have a go at it myself. Ice is pretty thick for a small hatchet, but given enough time it would be doable, and certainly more predictable than the fishing part.

dropkick
2006-12-13, 05:04
Another bonus: try making a stove or anti-rodent bag hanger out of the empty foil pack!
I actually experimented with one use foil alcohol stoves a while back.
Basically I made an envelope, stuffed it with a kleenex, poured in some alcohol, sealed it, poked some holes in the top, pour a drip on top as a starter and lit it.
Worked pretty good, but the stove was destroyed by the heat (no second use).

Foil packs thicker. Might make a 2x use stove. :biggrin:

lucky luke
2006-12-13, 06:10
I have been eating the Bumblebee, mesquite smoked tuna on wheat tortillas man that is good. Anybody found any other fish they like to carry on hikes, trips?

hi bob,

get a fresh trout matching your hunger in the evening.

get veggies of the season and a little sourcream. chop, mix and stuff into trout. wrap in foil, put in ziplock, cool, or almost freeze. wrap the bag into your fleexe-downjacket and stuff it all into your pack.

all you need are a few sticks for a very small fire. your fish will be done in 15 mins or even less with enough heat.

perfect for the first night out. will stay cool even on a summerday.

the fish keeps forever in winter. just let it freeze...

happy trails
lucky luke

Hog On Ice
2012-01-23, 19:39
reviving an old thread to note that I am now seeing a foil pack tuna with olive oil showing up in the market - I prefer tuna packed in oil for hiking just to get the extra calories - product I saw was from StarKist Yellowfin Tuna with EVOO - 2.6 ounce pack

Kanga
2012-01-23, 22:20
hayell, we get salmon, tuna steak, octopus, and halibut in foil pak now..

Hog On Ice
2012-01-23, 22:47
yeah but how many are packed in oil instead of water?

Kanga
2012-01-23, 22:57
all in water from what i've seen. what's wrong with water?

Hog On Ice
2012-01-23, 23:03
no calories less taste than oil - when I hike I want to carry food that has the most calories per ounce - thus a preference for oil packed over water packed

Kanga
2012-01-23, 23:11
Oh, so you are male.

Hog On Ice
2012-01-23, 23:44
ahhhh thank you .... I think

mudhead
2012-01-24, 11:37
"Water" or "vegetable broth?" One is poisonous to me the other isn't.

Cuffs
2012-01-24, 12:05
I can't stand the smell or texture of tuna in oil.

Rosaleen
2012-01-25, 16:47
If you have the time, dehydrated canned tuna, salmon, crab, and shrimp come back well and are lighter than either foil packs or cans.

SGT Rock
2012-01-26, 08:20
Do they make your dehydrator stink like fish?

Rosaleen
2012-01-26, 09:12
Yeah, the whole house can seem to smell like whatever I'm dehydrating, at least temporarily. My dehydrator doesn't hold the odors afterwards, though. Fish and things like onions are good items to encourage one to place the dehydrator in a protected area outside while it is in use. Or dry while everyone is away or sleeping. Cinnamon, apples, etc., are appreciated food odors for indoors.

john pickett
2012-01-27, 01:42
I dehydrated a whole can of pink salmon a few years ago. Used the oven since I was also dehydrating apples and bananas at the time. My house drew cats from miles away. Luckily my wife was out of town and, by keeping all the windows open for 48 hours, the smell was gone when she returned.

Roche
2012-01-28, 22:09
:evil: I'm not one to start rumors but when taken completely out of context...

My house drew cats from miles away. Luckily my wife was out of town...

willie001
2012-02-09, 00:22
I like to take foil pack salmon, mix it with crushed Ritz crackers and fry it.http://www.amzcard.info/g.gif

Rosaleen
2012-02-09, 08:21
If you are up for dehydrating canned fish and willing to forego some textural features, try making a tuna or salmon and potato chowder mix that could pass for a mushy fish/potato salad. Dry canned fish (in water, not oil) and add to mashed potatoes with the extras of your choice. Some days cold thick soup (or a potato sort-of salad) hits the spot, especially in the summer. (Look up vichyssoise, a French potato soup that is served either hot or cold.) On a cold, rainy day, a stop to have some hot potato and fish chowder is awesome. Try using the broth from the fish to cook the potatoes with skin on for more flavor and nutrition(, or just use instant potatoes). There is a LOT of salt in the broth, so be careful about adding any more. Dehydrate these mashed potatoes and add the dried fish, dried milk, maybe parsley, onion, corn, and celery and/or grated carrot. I've done this with salmon, but tuna, shrimp, mock crab, or maybe clams could work. I suspect the clams could be rubbery, make that more rubbery, if dehydrated. Carry a couple of mayo packs to add to the "salad" version.

I've also seasoned rice to dehydrate along with fish, cucumber, and carrot, tossing the dry ingredients into a bag to rehydrate as I hike. Pour into a sheet or two of nori at lunchime for a mock sushi "hand roll."

SGT. Roack posted some ideas maybe 10 years ago using soaked ramen for a pasta salad. There is another place where dehydrated fish works well.

Happy eating!

Rosaleen

JAK
2012-02-16, 19:47
I dehydrated a can of sardines in the convection oven at 170degF, the lowest it will go.
Seemed to work great. Not sure how many days it would keep but I imagine at least a week.

JAK
2012-02-17, 09:24
I like sardines because they are wild, low on the food chain for no mercury risk, great source of omega 3, and they are a whole fish except for the head so they have bones and stuff for calcium etc. I try to eat a can a day, which is about 17g protien and 9g fat for about a $1.00. They are local so they are probably cheaper than most places.

Someone asked about weights:
Total weight with can and water and oil = 151g
Dry can and lid = 16g
Water and oil from can = 30g
Just the 4 fish per can = 105g
(The package says 84g drained, but I got 105g drain and dried with paper towel)

I am going to dry the fish now, in the convection oven at 170F.
Dried Sardines: ???

They seem to taste even better dried. I eat them straight up, or mixed in with oatmeal into a sort of fish cake usually fried a bit with a little canola oil. Paprika and some other herbs and spices is an option. I prefer canola oil for fish because it seems to have a bit more of a fishy taste to it than olive oil. It is also a better lamp fuel I think, at least better than the darker olive oils. Also much cheaper, like $2-$3 a litre.

Haven't packed dried sardines yet. But I think I will try it. Probably in a ziplock. Curious if it might have a longer shelf life if I pack it with some oatmeal also, to keep it dry. Not sure. I'm pretty confident it would last at least 14 days either way because it is streamed in the canning process which kills everything at that point, and I don't think I'm introducing much risk in the drying and bagging process. Warmer weather might be a concern, if you don't dry it really well. Don't know.

Let you know how much the dried sardines weigh in a few hours.

JAK
2012-02-17, 16:19
UPDATE: -----> down to 82g after 2 hours, and 59g after 5 hours.
Not sure, but assume it was 17g protien and 9g fat, and normally 3g water with each 1g protien, that would make 77g plus another 7g of bones and stuff for 84g, but I got 105g before drying so maybe 20g protien, 10g fat, 10g other for 100g. It shoud be able to dry down to 40g at best, 50g more likely, but it would take awhile. I might have filleted it open to dry better, or even mushed it flat. Anyhow, it tasted great as usual.

So maybe it will dry down to about 50g for 150-175kcal. Not sure.

Hooch
2012-02-17, 23:06
Is there a "no one cares" button anywhere?

JAK
2012-02-18, 07:22
Yes there is.

Sardines are not good for gout. I might be coming down with gout. Well that sucks.

Rosaleen
2012-02-18, 09:35
JAK-

Here's hoping that you do not have gout or other uric acid issues. Some studies show it may be better to keep your diet "uric acid neutral," not too low or too high. I think the point was that there is already some in your body, so if you raise or lower uric acid levels by diet, your system will try to keep it in stasis, which, in turn, releases more into the bloodstream. Google uric acid for yourself to read more. I read up a bit years ago when my brother's kidney stones were associated with uric acid. The article may have been in conjuction with maintaining an acid-neutral diet.

Back to your dehydrated sardine idea-

Sardines are high in omega fats, so are good for more than protein and calcium. I suggest that you vacuum-seal or freeze after dehydrating them for storage of more than a few weeks so that the natural fats do not become rancid. *I* would also package them in repurposed mylar bags from snack foods to protect them from light. At the same time, I would be protecting my pack from smelling like a fish processing plant... Mylar bags work better than plastic ones, in my experience.

It might be fun to experiment with some meals designed around sardines. Pasta Puttanesca uses anchovies "melted" into olive oil in a pasta sauce, along with capers and garlic. I wonder if a few anchovies (for flavor) combined with sardines and garlic would dehydrate and rehydrate well?

JAK
2012-02-18, 12:56
Thanks Rosaleen. I'll get it checked out. I've had some ganglion cysts on my feet for about 5 or 6 years now, one on a big toe and a couple under the feet on one of the tendons. Suposedly unrelated, I've also had some foot pains, and after hearing from Tinker and another fellow with gout, I'm starting to wonder. So I think I'll take some preventative action, diet and exercise. Hate to give up sardines altogether because they are an awesome food. I'll read what I can. Thanks for the tips on freezing the sardines right after dehydrating, and the mylar bags. Cheers.

Ray
2012-02-18, 14:35
I might be coming down with gout. Well that sucks.Totally.

Treatable and preventable though.

Mountainsmike
2012-02-24, 00:55
Favorite shrimp recipe adapted from One Burner Gourmet:Veggie & Shrimp Pasta serves 2-4

2 cloves or 1/4 tsp dry Garlic
3+ C water
1 pack Knorr vegie soup mix
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 C Uncle Ben Instant Brown Rice
1-2 packs shrimp

Throw all except shrimp in pot & simmer till rice is done. About ten minutes. Throw shrimp in last minute or two to warm. Best served with white wine

Mountainsmike
2012-02-24, 01:01
Thanks Rosaleen. I'll get it checked out. I've had some ganglion cysts on my feet for about 5 or 6 years now, one on a big toe and a couple under the feet on one of the tendons. Suposedly unrelated, I've also had some foot pains, and after hearing from Tinker and another fellow with gout, I'm starting to wonder. So I think I'll take some preventative action, diet and exercise. Hate to give up sardines altogether because they are an awesome food. I'll read what I can. Thanks for the tips on freezing the sardines right after dehydrating, and the mylar bags. Cheers.

After years of mysterious swollen knees & ankles I fear I have it too. I find black cherry extract pills & apple cider pills (GNC) help but think I may need to go on perscription drugs. Uloric.com has a printable coupon for next month or so. Gouing to miss so many of my staple hiking foods. Oatmeal is the killer. Been breakfast of choice for thousands of miles!

Ray
2012-02-27, 10:25
I tried both black cherry juice and celery seed home remedies for gout.

Neither did much good and it was hard to get the cherry stains off my toes.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-27, 10:32
+1 for Ray

JAK
2012-02-29, 12:47
+1 for HOI or I wouldn't have gotten that one. :-)