PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pack

KBob
2006-12-13, 10:41
I am using a Kelty Yukon, 3000ci. Mostly overnight stuff, small to keep the load down. What do you like and why? Oh yeah I am an old geezer got hooked on backpacking from Colin's books, I even remember the first Mariah magazine on the newstand.

Take-a-knee
2006-12-13, 11:00
I use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack. I also remember that Mariah poster, and I read "The Complete Backpacker".

KBob
2006-12-13, 11:26
Yes there was a Mariah poster but it was something else, and what is it called now?

deadeye
2006-12-13, 13:44
I've got lots of favorites! I still use my old Kelty A-4 (circa 1969) for work hikes - you can't beat an external frame pack for carrying shovels, saws, and other tools.

My REI UL60 is a great pack, but not sized right for my torso. It's been fine for a 4-day hike, I wonder what it'll feel like after 4 weeks.

My winter pack is an ALPS Redtail - real comfy and roomy.

On my wish list is a granite gear vapor trail or latitude vapor. Either one will knock at least a pound off my REI pack.

Oh yeah... my ratty old copy of the Complete Walker is still at my bedside, too.

jimtanker
2006-12-13, 17:31
The one that I made myself. :biggrin:

My homemade pack thread. (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1834)

bird dog
2006-12-13, 17:35
I own four (or maybe five) packs now, but the only one I really use is my Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I love this pack. It weighs two pounds even, and is a bare essentials pack. The suspension system worried me when I first saw it, but it carries a thirty pound load easily; I can hardly tell its on my back. The roll top closure is great because it can be expanded after resupplies to allow for more room. The only addition that I have made is I added an OR pouch to the right side of the hip belt to keep my map, camera, and gorp handy (keeps it out of my pocket).

I also own a Kelty Redcloud, a Kelty Redwing, an Alice Large, a BlackHawk 3 Day Assault Pack, and a Coleman bag that the kids and wife use.

BD

Turk
2006-12-13, 18:57
Golite Gust - long extended trips
Golite Jam - 1wk or < trips

But I really want to work out the details of my cutom Moonbow.
Has to wait until next year. Just wasnt in the budget this year.
Think the gearskins are awesome (within a limited useage). Trying
to hash out the details of a "frogskin" fully submersible gearskin that
compresses a 65L WXtex pneumo dry bag. Still some issues.

SowthEfrikan
2006-12-13, 21:21
The Granite Gear Vapor Trail Ki - it's the women's version. It's just on 2 pounds so there are lighter packs, but it has plenty of space and is very comfortable for my typical loads, which don't get higher than 30 pounds. I used it last to visit the South Rim in the Chisos Mountains at Big Bend this Thanksgiving, and it fitted Squall Tarptent 2, kitchen, food, water, sleeping bag and five liters of water just fine. I'm taking it on a 40-mile Grand Canyon hike on spring break, on which I am carrying water and food and sleeping bag and not much of anything else. I own the "Complete Backpacker" and "Beyond Backpacking" - love the first, Colin Fletcher did a fantastic job, and raise eyebrows at the second. "Beyond" may have been groundbreaking in it's day but the irritation factor outweighed the interest factor.

Turk, I love your avatar. Did you design that or find it?

Take-a-knee
2006-12-13, 22:05
My daughter uses and loves the Vapor Trail Ki.

dropkick
2006-12-14, 01:03
I currently have a no-name pack I picked up somewhere, plus a couple of rucksacks I made.

I'm thinking about building another rucksack or possibly an internal frame pack that can be laid down and opened like a duffel. I think it would make accessing gear much easier.

Thought about a strap pack like Jim Tankers, or a pack designed on the old design were you could unfold it and use it as a ground cloth. But I like having the "bucket" of an open pack so it holds what you don't currently need and is easy to move around.

dgrav
2006-12-14, 09:31
Osprey Atmos 50 for multi-day hikes
Osprey Atmos 25 for dayhikes

Both are light and fit perfect. I feel bad for all the other packs in my closet that don't get out much anymore.

Pappyhighlife
2006-12-14, 14:31
Well I am still using my A.L.I.C.E. (Large) It stays covered with a waterproof pack cover so water weight is no longer an issue. Just a tuff bag, and very dependable and you can modify it to be lighter, but then again when I go out I rarely carry more than forty pounds. Guess it's what you are used to my Pop gave me my first one when I was 12-13 years old, been hauling one ever since I gave my 11 year old grandson a small A.L.I.C.E. last summer and the few times he used it he thought he was somethin, I am gonna take a wait see when he gets older he may one one them new market packs. Soon he will be be passing "Big Alice" and me on the trail.

Seeker
2006-12-24, 22:23
Currently use a modified GoLite Gust. I added water bottle pockets to the sides and a seried of web loops up both sides of the back, through which i've laced an elastic cord, so it looks like a Jam or Dawn hybrid. It weighed about 20 oz stock, but i cut off the ice axe loops, and with the mods it's now about 22oz. When i had my blue foam pad rolled up inside, i removed the thin foam back pad, as it was redundent. now that i have a JRB underquilt, i put the pad back in.

Would eventually like to get a Vapor Trail and/or a ULA Conduit.

Had a 5 lb Kelty Men's Trekker, but gave it away when i got bit by the ultralight bug. haven't missed it.

stray1
2006-12-26, 14:50
Pappy - do you use the frame on your ALICE? I have used a modified ALICE for years but without the frame. Around military posts you can have the Koreans sow on any type of pouch our strap you want.

I also have a Blackhawk RAPTOR X1 & X3, Eagle Industries- Becker Patrol Pack and just bought an Osprey Atmos 50. I'm not sure i like the Osprey but it's much lighter than the others I normally use. I was trying to decide on a Golite or the Osprey. I may have buyers remorse! :)

SowthEfrikan
2006-12-26, 16:00
Take-a-Knee, your daughter clearly has superb taste.

Granite Gear's Vapor Trail, in it's various incarnations, seems to be very popular.

Can't think why. :-D

n2o2diver
2006-12-26, 17:40
Pappy - do you use the frame on your ALICE? I have used a modified ALICE for years but without the frame. Around military posts you can have the Koreans sow on any type of pouch our strap you want....

Are you implying that only Koreans know how to "sew" or that only people of Korean origin near military establishments can help you with a pouch "or" strap?

Hmm???

TeeDee
2006-12-26, 20:48
Pappyhighlife - you can treat the ALICE pack with silicone. Just mix it up (I prefer the low odor mineal spirits) and paint it with the mixture. About 2 oz of silicone will give it one coat. A second coat will waterproof it real tight. Just Jeff has a link on his web site to the instructions for mixing. I used the 3 to 1 mixture recommended and it did a great job. No more worries about water - it just runs right off. All for about 2 or 4 oz of silicone sealant. Paint the straps also. The nylon straps absorb water if left untreated.

stray1
2006-12-27, 01:18
[QUOTE=n2o2diver;16665]Are you implying that only Koreans know how to "sew" or that only people of Korean origin near military establishments can help you with a pouch "or" stra

Yes! at least the two little Ladies right outside the Reily gate at Ft. Bragg. They are the BEST! :adore: :biggrin:

Steinberger
2006-12-27, 01:20
I love My Osprey Ceres 70. I use it for everything. Hiking, climbing, travelling through Europe on foot, backcountry snowboarding, and even as luggage. It is very versatile in size going from holding a handfull of things for quick overfnight trips in the summer to doing months long thru-hikes or, capable of carring all my horticultural equipment and a week's worth of provisions. Had my back pack for about 4 years and have close to 1000 miles on it and it still look brand new after a cleaining. It has a ton of straps, loops, pockets, etc. for anything from ice axes, to a compass, or even a snowboard.

brian
2006-12-27, 17:17
I love my gearskin, and I plan on probably picking up an Osprey Atmos 50 for my european trip over the summer:).

Brian
OES

bird dog
2006-12-28, 20:07
I love my gearskin, and I plan on probably picking up an Osprey Atmos 50 for my european trip over the summer:).

Brian
OES

Just think of me when you pay that train fair with my well spent MacCat money! :biggrin:

BD

dropkick
2006-12-30, 03:06
Pappy - do you use the frame on your ALICE? I have used a modified ALICE for years but without the frame. Around military posts you can have the Koreans sow on any type of pouch our strap you want....Are you implying that only Koreans know how to "sew" or that only people of Korean origin near military establishments can help you with a pouch "or" strap?

Hmm???'
He's most likely just used to the fact that almost all the tailor establishments on or near military bases seem to be owned/manned by Koreans or Vietnamese.

-He could have stated it better, but unless your Korean, I find your knee jerk politically correct defense of race equally offensive. Chill out.

KBob
2006-12-30, 16:47
Just got a new favorite, GG Vapor Trail, sure feels good. Al to anser my question for the start of this thread Mariah was a outdoor magazine that went on to become "Outside" magazine.

n2o2diver
2006-12-30, 21:33
'
He's most likely just used to the fact that almost all the tailor establishments on or near military bases seem to be owned/manned by Koreans or Vietnamese.

-He could have stated it better, but unless your Korean, I find your knee jerk politically correct defense of race equally offensive. Chill out.

I don't know what you mean. I was asking about some spelling. Its nice to know your a bigot too though, thanks. Does it really matter if I'm Korean?

stray1
2006-12-30, 22:27
"Bigot" That's kinda harsh. It was ment as a joke and the little Ladies I deal with pronounce it "sow". Another inside joke I should have explained better. If I offended you, I apologize.

n2o2diver
2006-12-30, 22:37
I apologize as well, I don't want to get into a pissing contest, sorry.

dropkick
2006-12-30, 23:51
I don't think I did anything to apologize for, but I don't want to get into a flame war. So I'm going to clarify my reasons for my original post and then ignore any other posts on the subject.

I get tired of reading attacking posts by people who seem eager to show their "racial equality awareness" and make themselves feel superior by posting how offended they are. Often they do this to what is, to me, just a badly worded post (neither of these things happen often on this board).

I don't think that the nitpicking posts accomplish anything positive at all. All they do is cause anger and sometimes heated exchanges. In some cases I believe they can polarize opinions and actually hurt racial relations.

And the reason why I separated out Koreans in my comments is because the possible reasons behind a Korean having a bad reaction to the post would be different from that of any self-aggrandizing person who is just trying to show how "enlightened" they are by putting down others.

If you are Korean you have my heartfelt apologies to anything in my posts you might interprete as an insult. -If I did it wasn't intensional.

CaSteve
2006-12-31, 01:25
Summer: Osprey Atmos 50
Winter: Black Diamond Revelation

KBob
2006-12-31, 04:11
To assist Dropkick "Miyon ham ni da".