PDA

View Full Version : Fire

jimtanker
2006-12-21, 15:09
I was watching Man vs. Wild the other day and the guy had one of those magnesium/flint fire starters that you can get real cheap.

http://www.campmor.com/images/acc/23131.jpg

I haven't used one of these for years. I had one lying around somewhere and decided to pack it in my camelback pack today.

I was biking home from work today through the woods near my house and decided to stop and warm up. A little chilly and overcast. Hasnt been very humid lately so it wasnt a Rock test.

Got some dry grass down, some dry pine needles and roughed the both of them up pretty good. Kind of shready. Gathered some dead twigs still on the trees. We call this squaw wood back in Washington. Took a leaf and shave a little of the magnesium off. Not a really big pile. Two tries with the flint and up it went. At first sign of the flames I put the grass on it and then immediately the pine needles. WOW those things go up good. LOL. Small twigs and bigger and bigger.

Gonna carry one of these with me everywhere I go from now on.

And for Iceman, I still practice my primitive fire skills too.

Iceman
2006-12-21, 20:11
JT, I thought you always made fire with tanks, guns and things that go bang? (Except for that micro bic you keep in your gear...)

I have carried one for years. I took a hacksaw and cut it down to about 1/3 of it's original width figuring that I would never actually go thru that much magnesium. I also attached an 2 inch long piece of the end of a broken hacksaw blade to the magnesium so that I always had a sharp square edge to fire it up without wrecking my knife... Also put a neck lanyard on the thingy thinking if things went bad, this is about the most important thing I wanna keep track of...

Take-a-knee
2006-12-21, 21:56
That is cool Iceman, after seeing Hollowdwellers neck knife I've been pondering a kydex sheath for a small fixed blade knife with a firestarter and one or two small survival items fastened to the same sheath.

stray1
2006-12-22, 00:37
Coldsteel and CRKT make great neck knives for the price which would be good for that purpose. That's where I keep my flint.

dropkick
2006-12-22, 02:57
Coldsteel and CRKT make great neck knives for the price which would be good for that purpose. That's where I keep my flint.
How about the A. G. Russell Woodswalker with a Kydex Neck Sheath for $24.95. ($9.95 without neck sheath) Good price and from what I understand A. G. Russell makes good knives.

You'd have to make another sheath for your flint and steel, but you'd most likely have to do that anyway. Or you could skip their sheath and make one from scratch out of leather or kydex.

I keep thinking about getting one, but then my Scottish nature kicks in and I think "If the knife I'm making works out, I'll just make myself a knife like this one or even better".
-----But it still bugs me, and I keep looking at it. Someone else buy one and tell me if I'm missing out.

Woodswalker (www.agrussell.com/knives/by_purpose/camping/a_g_russell_woodswalker_in_leather_hip_pocket_shea th.html)

I took some links from my favorites (below) for sheath making supplies. Don't know who is cheapest, and haven't delt with any of them, but thought you'd be interested even if you don't do this project:

Sheath making supplies (www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm?TKS_BladesSS3.htm~smain)

More sheath making supplies (http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/sheaths_and_supplies_186707_products.htm)

Tutorial on making kydex sheath (http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_kydexsheath.htm)
Even more sheath supplies (http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_Supplies3.htm)

Mutinousdoug
2006-12-22, 16:27
[QUOTE=dropkick;16571]How about the A. G. Russell Woodswalker with a Kydex Neck Sheath for $24.95. ($9.95 without neck sheath) Good price and from what I understand A. G. Russell makes good knives.

I keep thinking about getting one, but then my Scottish nature kicks in and I think "If the knife I'm making works out, I'll just make myself a knife like this one or even better".
-----But it still bugs me, and I keep looking at it. Someone else buy one and tell me if I'm missing out.

I bought 4 of them a few years ago. Three of them stay in the kitchen as paring knives and one I keep in the leather sheath in my back pocket. I like them. I had to re-contour the handle on a belt sander to knock down the square edges; that took about 5-10 minutes each.
It's a little too small for a camping knife without backup but it makes a nice bird/trout knife. Wish I'd bought the Kydex sheath for a canoeing knife to wear around my neck but the leather sheath is functional for EDC. ( I more often carry a Case small stockman everyday, for 5.5 total inches of sharp.) I did cut a slot in the empty part of the sheath to run it through my belt and keep the knife under the belt. After 4 years of moderate carry the sheath has loosened up enough to allow the knife to be shaken out. I see the KnifeForum has a receipe for shrinking and beeswaxing a leather sheath.
The SST is a little soft but it takes an edge/dresses quickly that will shave and pick splinters. I wouldn't use it to cut wood without a steel handy.

Woods Walker
2007-03-21, 01:04
My advice is to avoid doing most of the things seen on Man vs. Wild. Bear will get you killed. I have some of those mag starters. Like them for the sparker but now carry a strike force or a smaller version of the full sized mag block when looking to cut back on every little oz as this is a back up for the lighter and matches.. Funny starting up birch bark etc. Or the old cotton ball trick.

KLeth
2007-03-21, 03:06
I went away from one of those magnesium firestarters.
Much faster to make fire with vaseline/cottonballs and a flint/steel set, also much funnier to start the campfire with what is available around camp.

Once I had a small mishap with a magnesium firestarter. When I ignited the shavings they were thrown all over the place, apparently the moisture in the leaf I had used to collect the shavings, evapourated and threw burning shavings all around. Luckily (I had cleared around 1m2 for the fire) nothing caught fire including my tinder. :albertein