PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol stoves

KBob
2006-12-23, 06:29
I am thinking of trying one. If you run out of fuel while it is burning how long must you wait to refill? Does it need to cool? Is the Trangia the only model that has a cap and can be carried full? Anybody have a favorite type?

jimtanker
2006-12-23, 10:05
The ION created by Rock here on this site is my favorite. I've tried a few and made a few myself. His is just so light and simple that I love it.

As for refilling, after you use it enough, about 3 times for me, I figured out how much fuel I would need for how much water and under what conditions. Ive never really needed to refil mine when out in the wood. I usually use just slightly more fuel than I think that I'll need. Works out great.

All I ever do is boil water for freezer bag cooking anyways.

Skidsteer
2006-12-23, 10:12
I am thinking of trying one. If you run out of fuel while it is burning how long must you wait to refill? Does it need to cool? Is the Trangia the only model that has a cap and can be carried full? Anybody have a favorite type?

Yes you need to let it cool just enough that the stove doesn't reignite while you're filling it(also known as having a bad day). I find that this can vary from 0 to 30 or 40 seconds depending on the air temp.

A Trangia is the only one I know of that has a cap, but someone else may know of another one.

I like Ions and catstoves personally, but if somebody ever builds a Trangia that weighs in the 1/2 oz. range I'd be all over it.

Hog On Ice
2006-12-23, 11:59
my rule of thumb is if you can pick up the burner with your bare hand and with minimal pain then its OK to refill

my burner is a tea light candle tin which cools off very fast - I adjust my water to be such that one tea light candle tin full of alcohol will bring the water to boiling

if I need to boil more water I use a tea light candle tin with an extension that Skidsteer gave me or I will add some alcohol and relight the tea light candle tin burner

lucky luke
2006-12-24, 07:32
my rule of thumb is if you can pick up the burner with your bare hand and with minimal pain then its OK to refill

high hog on ice,

and while you bandage your fingers the stove will cool off nicely :aetsch:

but you´re right. i never burned myself.

greets
lucky luke

Iceman
2006-12-24, 12:27
Kbob, I too have searched for a cap style alcohol stove other than the Trangia. Have found heavy ones, but nothing lightweight. This link http://wings.interfree.it/ is to a "plumbers" stove, where you can seal a lid back on a can, but way heavy. This stove works, I have kept them in my auto trunks (empty) with fuel stored separate, but as I practiced with them, found the lids did seal the fuel inside... I have also seen a plumbers glue can stove somewhere on the internet. Take an empty pipe cement can with the little dabber inside, ditch the dabber thingymabob, ....turn this empty can into your "fuelcan" stove. Still heavy.

I could care less about the weight of the trangia since we usually drag ours to camp over snow in a sled, and weight is no problem. Trangias work well in cold and snow.

OK, just checked the link, no good to the stove, click on plumbers stove...

Seeker
2006-12-24, 21:21
my favorite stove is one i make myself. but the two i can't decide between are Rock's Ion Stove and the SuperCat... both light and simple. i don't know of any stoves other than trangias that use that cap system. i don't get it, but to each his/her own...

i just measure 2-3 capfuls from my fuel container and that's usually close enough to boil whatever water i need for dinner. if i'm making a cup of something hot for lunch or a snack, then i only use 1-2 capfuls. even if it just gets warm, that means i can drink it right away instead of waiting for it to cool down again.

like HOI said, if you can pick the stove up, it's cool enough. i have caught on fire though, and it hurts. and you can't see the flame either, which is a real @#$% (5 letters, rhymes with twitch, itch, and rich.) so i'm pretty careful about wiping any extra fuel off my hand before i strike the lighter. good thing it was only a little bit where i spilled it on my fingers.

oops56
2006-12-24, 22:00
Well i said it before if you put 2 or 3 drops of food coloring in your fuel bottle when you spill some can see it i like green

Hog On Ice
2006-12-25, 11:20
if I spill some alcohol fuel I wipe it up with my bandana and put the bandana back in my pocket before lighting the stove - have not lite my pants on fire _yet_ - I also keep a bottle of water handy in case the fire starts to get away - nice thing about an alcohol fire is that water puts them out fast

bird dog
2006-12-28, 20:23
BEWARE - ANOTHER SHAMELESS PLUG. I have an ETOWAH II Alcohol stove. I didnt have the time or resources or know-how to make one so I purchased this puppy for $15. Best gear investment Ive made in a while. I highly recommend this stove. (I too freezer bag cook, so I only use it to boil water).

BD