PDA

View Full Version : new member

wardog
2006-12-27, 01:05
I have camped at Kisatchie am planning first Hiking trip alone the Wild Azalea Trial at the end of January. Has anyone hiked the trial ?
any comments ?

Just Jeff
2006-12-29, 11:21
Don't know anything about the trail, but wanted to say WELCOME!

SGT Rock
2006-12-30, 05:25
I hiked it a while back. It is an easy trail to hike unless the water comes up, then it is dangerous as hell.

I did about 13 miles the first day, 20+ the second day, and finished it up on the third day. Unfortunatly I did it in the sumertime, so it was hot and the mosquitos were eating me up in the mornings and evenings. I would reccomend doing this in the dead of winter if you do plan to do it.

There are some nice views and descent water, but I would treat or filter anything as a lot of it is slow moving or stagnant.

It was a good trip (any hiking trip is) but it was not one of my more favorite trips.

sailingsoul
2006-12-30, 21:56
welcome welcome fellow camp/hiker

n2o2diver
2006-12-30, 22:39
Welcome
I'm pretty new here too.
Learning heaps from these guys n gals though.

Seeker
2006-12-30, 23:52
hey, a fellow louisianan! welcome. this is a great place.

check your PM.

tim
2007-01-09, 15:19
I hiked it Jan 96. Pack and Paddle out of Lafayette had a deal where for a price they drove you up there, brought you home, and had sag wagon with water and gatoraid located about every 5 miles when forest service roads crossed trail.

It turned a 30 mile hike into 5 or 6 @ 5 mile each hikes back to back needing only one or two quarts of water on each. Also solved problem of drop off and pick up.

Pretty flat and thick woods. I would only do it in winter time.

ChristianRider
2007-02-07, 04:42
Hi
I've never gone down that one but I can recommend the Barataria Preserve, Its a National Park a little ways S. of N.O.L.A.

Here's the address:
6588 Barataria Blvd
Marrero, LA 70072
(504) 589-2330

Admission is free, they have a little nature center, and visitor center and so on, you can sign up for a guided tour but it's more fun when you don't have to keep up with a group.

It's on the W.Bank of the Mississippi, 15 miles S. on Hwy 45, Barataria Blvd..
They have pretty good fishing and decent Canoeing (don't go in summer) you'll be eaten alive.