PDA

View Full Version : My set up (what's yours) and a rave about some great hiking socks.

Jenab
2006-12-30, 21:37
Hammock: Hennessey Safari Deluxe.
Backpack: The North Face Perservance (4900 ci)
Camp Stove: Coleman Peak II Apex
(one burner, gasoline/kerosene/Coleman fuel)
Stuff to sleep in:
* 30 degree bag
* Wool blanket originally owned by US Navy.
Stuff to wear & sleep in:
* Tencel undershirt
* Cashmere sweater
* Lambswool wully-pully
* Acrylic & wool hiking socks
* Fleece lined cotton underpants
* Briefs to keep poop off fleece
* Liberty bib denim overalls
* Waterproof nylon windbreaker
* Blue cotton twill fishing hat (summer)
* L.L. Bean Mad Bomber hat (winter)
* Vinyl fedora rainproofed with automotive silicone sealant (rain hat)
* Montrail Hiking Shoes (summer, fair weather)
* Columbia Bugabootoo Boots (winter, foul weather)
* Insulated gloves

About the socks. I believe that I've found the very best ones. (I stumbled on to them through eBay, and now I have 12 pair.) Check them out; I think you'll like them.

US Men's Shoe size 9.5 and smaller...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200062984746

US Men's Shoe size 10 and bigger...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200062350723

This guy sells other kinds of socks, and some of them are pretty good. But these are the best. They warm, they wick, they cushion, they have a nice stretch of leg (over the calf)... if you ever wanted a sock to do something (within reason of course) this sock does it well. If you think you know of even better ones, I'd like to know where to buy them so I can compare. But I've bought a lot of different socks, and these are the champs so far.

Jerry Abbott

Take-a-knee
2006-12-30, 22:53
They look like Smartwools, and those are the best I've tried. You really need to ditch the blanket for the hammock and get an underquilt. I say that 'cause I'm concerned for your comfort.

Jenab
2006-12-30, 23:29
They look like Smartwools, and those are the best I've tried. You really need to ditch the blanket for the hammock and get an underquilt. I say that 'cause I'm concerned for your comfort.

I use closed cell foam down there (inside the hammock). I might try an underquilt later.

Iceman
2006-12-31, 00:04
....* Briefs to keep poop off fleece

Actually I have found if I poop outside my clothes, this keeps it off the fleece better... but that's just me....:bootyshak :biggrin: (Sorry, couldn't resist.....)

SGT Rock
2006-12-31, 04:14
I would lose the denim overalls, denim is cotton and it isn't all that great for staying warm in, especialy if it gets a little damp.

JAK
2006-12-31, 10:41
I wear flannel boxers. They are easy enough to wash in hot water and then dry over a fire or by wearing over your pants or as a hat.

TeeDee
2006-12-31, 14:25
At only 45% merino they are very skimpy on the merino for me. Smartwools are 71% merino. Also, Costco has merino wool socks with the same composition as Smartwools and about 1/4 the price.

JAK
2006-12-31, 14:56
I like any socks as long as they are as close to 100% wool as possible. Wool dress socks are good, if you can find them. I do carry a pair of cheap fluffy acryllic socks for sleeping in. They are also good as an outer pair for shedding snow. I have two pair of 100% thick heavy wool socks that are awesome, and there is room for heavy smartwools underneath them. The 100% wool is better for drying on a fire, but the heavy smartwools are probably the best all around. You really only need one pair of really good socks, the rest can be whatever you might have around or find on the cheap.