PDA

View Full Version : Flaw in HH design, or can't I figure it out?

turbohammock
2007-01-06, 01:16
I've been sleeping in my HH for a couple of months now, everynight, either outside or in my basement. I have been stoked on hammocks for a couple of years now since I first set up my byer's traveller hammock/crazy creek tarp combo. Although that setup was great, it was bulkier than the HH and didn't offer bug protection.

So I think that the HH is sweet, but I can't get over the bottom entry configuration. Yeah, I guess it makes it easier to get in and such, but when I close the velcro behind me, it leaves a taught/stiff ridge that my left leg rests on and it's pretty annoying. I don't lose sleep over it, but I wish that it wasn't so.

I have a explorer ultralight asym, and I understand that if my butt is in the middle and I'm sleeping on the diagonal, my left leg should rest just to the (my) right of the entrance's ridge. But if I bend my left knee at all, my leg is right on top of it. And I'm 6'2" so I can only get so diagonal.

If I don't seal the velcro, it seems to be fine, but if I just seal it the smallest amount, it's no good.

So am I doing something wrong? Am I sleeping in an incorrect position? Is my hammock defective? Or is this just something that HH users have to deal with?

Thanks for your help!

Jo:bandit: hn

peter_pan
2007-01-06, 10:20
Just something you have to deal with depending on how you turn/lay... top loaders don't have to deal with this if it really gets to you.

Pan

Mutinousdoug
2007-01-06, 12:12
I find that to be a problem if I don't string the hammock tightly enough or the trees I'm tied to flex under my weight too much. The midline is tighter than the sides which seem to droop a little.
Is your hammock strung tight along the ridge line? It should be a fairly straight line before you pull the snakeskins back. Not bow string tight, but "snug".

turbohammock
2007-01-06, 13:08
I find that to be a problem if I don't string the hammock tightly enough or the trees I'm tied to flex under my weight too much. The midline is tighter than the sides which seem to droop a little.
Is your hammock strung tight along the ridge line? It should be a fairly straight line before you pull the snakeskins back. Not bow string tight, but "snug".

I tie it up taught, but the hitches usually tighten a little once I get in, so the next time I get out, it's sagging a little. But, because it has a integrated ridgeline, it seems to me that the as long as it's strung up tight enough to make the ridgeline taught when inside (which depending on the distance between trees, doesn't have to be nearly taught originally), the geometry of the hammock will be the same everytime (that's the idea of the ridgeline). But I'll play around with it and see what happens.

Thanks!:albertein

Mutinousdoug
2007-01-06, 14:36
Doesn't sound like I'm going to be much help to you since you're stringing your HH the way I do. I do at least sit in my HH after 1st hanging then adjust the height of one end or the other and take out some of the sag from the hitches tightening up.
I never noticed this was a problem until I switched out my CCF pad for an underquilt where I'm now sleeping right on the velcro opening; are you sleeping on a pad?

turbohammock
2007-01-06, 14:55
Doesn't sound like I'm going to be much help to you since you're stringing your HH the way I do. I do at least sit in my HH after 1st hanging then adjust the height of one end or the other and take out some of the sag from the hitches tightening up.
I never noticed this was a problem until I switched out my CCF pad for an underquilt where I'm now sleeping right on the velcro opening; are you sleeping on a pad?

I only sleep on a pad when I have to (which is way too much), and when I do, I don't notice the opening at all.

blackie
2007-01-29, 15:38
if i may make a suggestion...just take the velcro off the door will close with just your weight on it.. i have an older hh and it never had velcro ...just an idea hope it helps..

shooter
2007-02-22, 16:13
turbo
i always tighten my HH after i lay in it for a while,i always get a little streach and thus sag on the first round.
you might need to get a safari deluxe. i bought a safari after i saw an explorer ,i thought the safari would be to big,but i am glade i bought it now,much more room.

TeeDee
2007-02-22, 17:30
I had the same problem. I got some 3/4" wide velcro, enough to span the entire length of the bottom opening, about 50" for mine. I opened the bottom opening and put the hooks of the new velcro on the loops on the HH and the loops on the new velcro on the hooks on the HH.

Now the opening is always open when I'm not in the hammock, but as soon as I get in the opening snaps shut. I take the extra velcro off when the bugs get bothersome. Otherwise I leave it on and the velcro'd bottom opening doesn't bother me anymore.

I think the extra velcro makes the velcro on the opening lay differently and flatter. For a few bucks it might be worth giving it a try. You can always peel the extra velcro off the opening velcro to restore the opening.

CanoeCamper
2007-02-23, 08:52
I'm 6'5", 210# and have a Safari Deluxe Asym. I've never noticed this problem in mine, maybe you should get the bigger model (I bet if you called Tom Hennessy you two could work something out). I also never consciously seal the Velcro once I'm in it I let my weight snap it shut like everyone else in this thread is saying; I only "close" it when I'm not in it.

Truckin
2007-03-14, 18:01
Hey Guys, I'm a new HH user and was wondering, I use the hennesy knot to tie my hammock up with but I am getting alot of slippage during the night. Has any of you tried a different knot that you think works better? I thought I saw a post about this a long time ago but figured it be easier to ask...any thoughts?

Just Jeff
2007-03-14, 19:10
The knot probably isn't slipping much...it'll tighten a bit as you get in, but most of your problem is fabric stretch. If the hammock is new, it's still stretching out...it's normal. So hang it up, get in and wiggle around some, then get out and tighten one end. It'll still stretch out for a few nights, but it won't last long...after a while it'll stay pretty much where you put it.

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-14, 23:35
The knot probably isn't slipping much...it'll tighten a bit as you get in, but most of your problem is fabric stretch. If the hammock is new, it's still stretching out...it's normal. So hang it up, get in and wiggle around some, then get out and tighten one end. It'll still stretch out for a few nights, but it won't last long...after a while it'll stay pretty much where you put it.

While I agree with what JJ is saying, I have to interject that after sleeping on a simple GI hammock for 8-10 months in 1970, I never (Well, don't remember) set one up that I didn't have to adjust one end or the other to make comfortable for more than a couple of hours. It's a couple of factors: fabric stretch, tree bending, load, rope stretch. There is a learning curve. It's not as complicated as putting up a dome tent.