PDA

View Full Version : Holes in HH no-see-um mesh...

turbohammock
2007-01-06, 01:18
I've developed a few small (~2-3mm) holes in the no-see-um mesh of my HH and I'm wondering what is the best way to repair them. I have some bulk mesh already--should I just stitch some patches over the holes, or could this cause more damage? any suggestions?

Thanks,
John:bath:

Steinberger
2007-01-06, 01:47
Yeah, I had the same problem. It was caused, for me, from staking out too tight in too loose soil. The stake would come loose and be slung back into the netting making a small hole there

I just put a little bit silicon solution around the hole to prevent it from fraying more.

If you have a big problem with having the holes there, you could try some of those tent netting repair patches you iron on. I don't know how well they work but it wold be worth a shot.

Just Jeff
2007-01-06, 01:56
Just put a stitch in the netting to hold the hole closed. Or use a small strip of duct tape on the inside and outside. Or if you're really motivated, sew on the patch like you suggested. As long as the hole is closed...

peter_pan
2007-01-06, 10:17
I used a small nylon repair iron on patch on both sides....make them round so there is no future corner damage/issues...holds great this way....mine has been patched this way for 2.5 years now.

Stitching works as a field repair.

Pan

turbohammock
2007-01-06, 13:10
I used a small nylon repair iron on patch on both sides....make them round so there is no future corner damage/issues...holds great this way....mine has been patched this way for 2.5 years now.

Stitching works as a field repair.

Pan

this sounds like a good way to do it. what about a dab of hot glue smashed between wax paper, and then tkaing the wax paper off? is this a dumb idea?:boring:

peter_pan
2007-01-07, 07:47
this sounds like a good way to do it. what about a dab of hot glue smashed between wax paper, and then tkaing the wax paper off? is this a dumb idea?:boring:

Experiment if you want...it is only a hammock.

Pan

brian
2007-01-07, 17:20
I vote for duct tape...its not just a field repair:D

Brian

turbohammock
2007-01-07, 18:53
I vote for duct tape...its not just a field repair:D

Brian

I tried duct tape on mesh once (both sides) and I couldn't get it too stick very well... (it did leave some nasty residue though)

dropkick
2007-01-07, 19:19
Superglue?

turbohammock
2007-01-07, 19:37
Superglue?

that's not a bad idea... it would keep it from fraying more too

oops56
2007-01-07, 19:43
But not ever body take super glue when hiking but most got some tape of some kind put one piece on the other one get some pine pitch or spuce gum one other piece put on top of other home made glue:beer:

dropkick
2007-01-07, 22:34
I added superglue to my medkit after I found that it can be used to make emergency stitches (tested for this during the Vietnam war).
I figured dual use. WooHoo :elefant:

oops56
2007-01-07, 22:53
super gule once open the shelf life is short plus open or not should be kept cold where i use to work we use it a lot to make rubber o rings if it was not kept cold after opening got hard i had 3 or 4 in my tool box try and find a good one

sailingsoul
2007-01-07, 23:54
I'd stay away from using duct tape for screen hole repair. #1, other choices suggested are better. #2 glue failure and mess especially during hot weather, won't perform over time as well as other suggertions. SS

turbohammock
2007-01-18, 23:32
so I finally got around to actually doing the repair...

I dabbed some super glue on the holes and although not beautiful, they are patched up and I think that it'll hold for quite a while/permanently.

and about duct tape...

I just bought some "gorilla tape" from the hardware store. it's made by the guys that make gorilla glue, and it's pretty much the burliest/stickiest duct tape I've ever seen... and it's black :bootyshak