PDA

View Full Version : Nose Warmer Modified Zippo

incognito
2007-01-09, 14:35
:elefant: One of the problems I have when trying to fall asleep in cooler weather is my nose gets cold.

I modified a Zippo lighter and converted it to a mini reusable nose warmer. I plan to make a small fleece sack for it and hang it around my neck to have it close by to warm my nose/face. My son says I'm a pansy

It uses lighter fluid just like a regular hand warmer. On one filling it stays warm for about an hour.

I hav'nt weighed it yet. I have a lot of in process photos showing the steps in the modification, will post at a later date.

Photo number one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/zipminiwarmer020.jpg)

Photo number two (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/zipminiwarmer019.jpg)

Photo number three (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/zipminiwarmer018.jpg)

Zelph is my name in my other life!!!!!!!! :bike:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TeeDee
2007-01-09, 16:34
Incognito - if you keep that close to your nose while sleeping to keep your nose warm - you just may not wake up - the fumes from the burning fluid are definitely not good for you.

Turk
2007-01-09, 18:29
another pretty radical dark-side-of-moon gear invention.
Definately not for everyone...

but the good news is, you should get a patent. Head shops,
frat houses and any others areas big in narcotics might find that
really interesting :biggrin:
Could make alot of money.

nice craftsmanship btw. impressive in itself. as always.

deadeye
2007-01-09, 18:46
I have the same problem, but I think TeeDee's right - not a safe method to keep your schnozz from chillin' :goodnight

Chemical handwarmers will do the trick, last about all night, and no exhaust; just rusting iron.

oops56
2007-01-09, 20:43
I knew it i knew it building all thoses alcohol stove just went to his head er nose:afraid: :afraid:

incognito
2007-01-10, 00:39
My interest in the technology of the hand warmer goes way way back. I'm usually careful when I persue a project such as this. The history of the hand warmer goes way way back. The invention is awesome, mind stimulating and beneficial to all. Read a little the info that I quote here:

Quote:
HAKKIN Legend

HAKUKIN-kairo was invented in 1923 by Niichi Matoba, the founder of the Company.
Obtaining a patent for applying the principle of an oxidation reaction that produces
heat by means of platinum catalysis, he devoted himself to research and experiments
over many years to make it suitable for practical use and eventually commercialized
it. When he finally succeeded in manufacturing a prototype, he named it
HAKUKIN-kairo (HAKKIN warmer). Our Company, since then, has engaged in
manufacturing and sales of HAKUKIN-kairo, while adding new ideas to improve it. Our
zeal for improving HAKUKIN-kairo has expanded beyond the medical field into the
leisure- and sports-related industry, to produce products that warm both body and
soul. Supported by the concept that health is an essential factor for people's better
life, our company has developed its business by providing people with warmth in the
literal sense of the word, promoting people's good health. Long lasting healthy life,
bright smiling faces in daily life, and wonderful life for everybody, this is what
we have sought and will continue to seek. HAKKIN hopes to further help people
maintain their health so as to live happy lives.

The comfortable warmth that our kairo (pocket warmer) provides is made possible by
platinum catalyst technology. This was an innovative technology when it was invented
in the Taisho period (1912 - 1926) and is still considered very advanced even in this
high-tech era. The word "kairo" comes from "kaichu kairo" in Japanese, meaning a
portable pocket warmer. An oxidation reaction usually produces intense heat. When
such reaction is caused by platinum catalysis, heat at a lower temperature can be
obtained and lasts longer. Considering such characteristics as ideal for "kaichu
kairo", we were quick to apply it for commercialization. Thus, we successfully put
our innovative product, HAKUKIN-kairo on the market. After seventy-seven years have
passed since its first appearance, HAKUKIN-kairo serves to maintain people's health
around the world more than ever. Especially at present, as people becomes
increasingly environmental-conscious, the product's economical aspect, durability,
and environmental-friendliness have been highly accepted. In this way, we now enjoy
our product's unchanged great popularity. Platinum catalysts are now also used in
the most advanced fields (especially in measures to protect environment). Platinum
catalyst technology is utilized in an automobile exhaust gas purification system and
has been introduced in chemistry plants as well. HAKKIN has been greatly advanced
since its founding.

I feel comfortable using this mini warmer in close proximity to my face. It is not intended to heat the air I breath, nor is there a fire hazard containing it in the fleece sack/pouch.. As long as I can remember hand warmers have been kept in cloth pouches when in use or in your cloth pants, shirt pocket etc. I spoke a little to soon about using lighter fluid, my main intent was to use "everclear". Sometimes I leave out a lot of little details thinking that most of you wont go into the above reactions. I realize now that most of you don't know how a hand warmer works.

I can't stand wearing a hat while on a hike or in a sleeping bag. Sweat bands are my choice of head gear.

I'm a "Stovie" If it's capable of being lit, I'm interested in it.

I'm greatful for all of your concerns for my well being. I'll be careful, promise!!!!

Platinum Catalysis, some of you may do well to google into more research on the process. Have fun!!!!!!

Iceman
2007-01-10, 02:02
One hour burn time, and you are now asleep?

GGS
2007-01-10, 16:32
I realize now that most of you don't know how a hand warmer works.

I think I misunderstood how your design was to work. When I read "lighter fuel" I'm thinking flame and all of its exhaust products, like carbon monoxide.

Am I correct that you are designing a catalytic heater that would function much like a Coleman SportCat, 'xcept using lighter fluid instead of propane?

I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out. On a personal note, I would feel more comfortable having the oxidation by-products analyzed before putting it right by my nose. At least firing it up in a sealed chamber with a CO monitor... Maybe you are planning that already... I am not familiar with the chemical makeup of lighter fluid, are there impurities that may cause undesirable chemicals to be inhaled?

incognito
2007-01-10, 17:39
I think I misunderstood how your design was to work. When I read "lighter fuel" I'm thinking flame and all of its exhaust products, like carbon monoxide.

Am I correct that you are designing a catalytic heater that would function much like a Coleman SportCat, 'xcept using lighter fluid instead of propane?

I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out. On a personal note, I would feel more comfortable having the oxidation by-products analyzed before putting it right by my nose. At least firing it up in a sealed chamber with a CO monitor... Maybe you are planning that already... I am not familiar with the chemical makeup of lighter fluid, are there impurities that may cause undesirable chemicals to be inhaled?

Going to use "everclear" 190 proof drinkable alcohol. If you can drink it, why not sniff it:beer:

Using a zippo lighter because its an already made container and is just the right size for the catalytic burner used on hand warmers. Came across a good deal on ebay for 11 of the burners(the part you see on top of the lighter) it contains the platinum "cotton" that reacts with the alcohol. I did'nt want to post the alcohol information because most everyone that is familiar with hand warmers know that lighter fluid is used in them. Didn't want everyone thinking I was bogus by saying to use alcohol and then 10 reasons why it would'nt work.

For What Its Worth I will not use it to warm my nose, will try my arm pit:biggrin:

Lanthar
2007-01-10, 17:51
Incog,

You gonna try seeing how warm that platinum "cotton" will get on alchohol?... you could make a radiant alc burner attachment for the MSR reactor then ;)

Jonas4321
2007-01-11, 14:18
Thanks for the pointer to platinum catalysis. I read most of what I found by searching the Internet, but had a few (probably basic) questions.

1) Heat is being produced by burning a flammable liquid, correct? I know 'burning' might be a technical misnomer, but you gotta light the thing, right?

2) I have two or three of these handwarmers that I have had since I was a kid, and from what I read, you can ruin the little top platinum 'cotton' burner thingie by getting fuel onto it. Is it that fragile that mine might be in need of replacement (they are not shiny and new anymore, but don't appear to be physically damaged)? If so, any thoughts on where to get replacements? I see you got some on e-Bay, but what am I searching for?

3) I have traditionally used these with lighter fluid. I see you plan on using everclear. Any other recommended fuels? I don't mind lighter fluid necessarily except the smell. Mine are 'dry' enough where I could switch fuels easily.

Thanks again for the info, very interesting reading.

Jonas

JAK
2007-01-11, 14:59
Interesting stuff.

When you think about it the body is pretty amazing at generating heat also. I would like to study more about how it does it and where it does it, other than in muscle tissue of course. When I was younger I did a lot of playing around in snow and sailing in cold water, before wetsuits and drysuits were common. I have a pretty good furnace, but I have noticed now that I am older sometimes the furnace takes awhile to startup, especially once its cold. Sometimes it seems to take more than the right breakfast and a little bit of warmup exercises. It would be interesting to know more about how the body keeps itself warm, and what can trigger it to burn more calories. I think the Scandanavians have the right idea with Saunas. I suppose sweat lodges are the same idea.

incognito
2007-01-13, 01:12
Thanks for the pointer to platinum catalysis. I read most of what I found by searching the Internet, but had a few (probably basic) questions.

1) Heat is being produced by burning a flammable liquid, correct? I know 'burning' might be a technical misnomer, but you gotta light the thing, right?

2) I have two or three of these handwarmers that I have had since I was a kid, and from what I read, you can ruin the little top platinum 'cotton' burner thingie by getting fuel onto it. Is it that fragile that mine might be in need of replacement (they are not shiny and new anymore, but don't appear to be physically damaged)? If so, any thoughts on where to get replacements? I see you got some on e-Bay, but what am I searching for?

3) I have traditionally used these with lighter fluid. I see you plan on using everclear. Any other recommended fuels? I don't mind lighter fluid necessarily except the smell. Mine are 'dry' enough where I could switch fuels easily.

Thanks again for the info, very interesting reading.

Jonas

The original dicovery was the introduction of platinum wire into a container of alcohol. A later discovery was made by forcing a specific gas stream onto the surface of platinum sponge, making it glow red hot and then white hot and then into ignition.

Look at the underside of the handwarmer "burner" the part that comes off the fill port. What they refer to as platinum cotton is there. Use a magnifying glass to see the fine grey metalic fibers of platinum mixed with some other filler fibers. It is said that if fuel is gotten onto the fibers they will become glazed over with the byproducts of the fuel, rendering the platinum unable to react with fuel vapor. The use of lighter fluid rquires a kick start to get the process going. The kick start being a match/butane lighter applied to the outer surface of the burner(which is a piece of fiberglass cloth) the piece of fiberglass cloth gets red hot due to the catylitic reaction going on underneath it.

I recommend you continue using lighter fluid and no other fuels. After filling, squeeze the fuel portion of the warmer so to remove excess fuel, to the point that none will drip out. (fuel on the platinum fibers renders then yuk)

Sorry I can't give you any links to info, I should have been in bed an hour ago. My mind is on crawl mode.

Am working on a stove design to incorporate platinum cotton for ignition and to enhance its ability to burn efficiently. Have a "StarLyte" burner equiped with some under test presently.

Jonas4321
2007-01-14, 01:52
Well, I dug through my junk cabinet and found my old Jon-e hand warmer plus a Japanese one made by Dickson. The Jon-e is in excellent shape, the burner on the Dickson is pretty threadbare.

I even found a can of Jon-e fluid! This stuff must be at least 30 years old. It smells suspiciously like lighter fluid (in fact, EXACTLY like it).

I put some fluid in the Jon-e, lit the wick and let it burn for about a minute. When I blew it out, the burner stayed lit, glowing gently.

Now that I have read up on the mechanics of how this thing works, it's interesting to observe (now that I know how to fill it properly). I am sure I got some fluid on the burner when I was a kid, but it seems to work fine. I saw glowing across most of the burner surface, particularly the bottom.

Now I remember the difficulty I had with this thing - it SMELLS. Even though the lighter fluid vapors are burning on the "platinum" burner, it seems like plenty of vapors are wafting out of the thing without igniting (I definitely did not overfill it). I would NOT want to breathe this stuff for an hour (or even a few minutes). Perhaps this is because the burner is not doing its job 100%?

The Jon-e got nice and warm. If I pulled it out of the little bag, the metal cap was too hot to handle comfortably. It used to keep my hands plenty warm on those paper delivery routes with my brother.

The threadbare Dickson did not do as well, it barely got warm.

Jonas

incognito
2007-01-14, 23:33
The Jon-e got nice and warm. If I pulled it out of the little bag, the metal cap was too hot to handle comfortably. It used to keep my hands plenty warm on those paper delivery routes with my brother.

Great to have those memories come back. My brother and I had paper routes but no hand warmers at the time, bummer.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonas, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a burner that may fit your Japanese warmer. If it does'nt fit send it back.

Jonas4321
2007-01-15, 08:26
Jonas, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a burner that may fit your Japanese warmer. If it does'nt fit send it back.

I don't see your e-mail anywhere. PM me at jonas4321@juno.com and I'll reply back with my address, thanks! I may reply with a photo of the warmer to improve the chances that we are successful.

JAK
2007-01-15, 10:31
Great to have those memories come back. My brother and I had paper routes but no hand warmers at the time, bummer.I used to hard boil a couple of eggs.

JAK
2007-01-15, 10:42
Interesting thread. It might be worth investigating what other types of catalysts could be incorporated into a small stove. The bodies varies enzymes that are used to break down starch into sugars and so forth, they are also a type of catalyst I understand. Other than dropping a load in our shorts and mixing in some straw, is there any else we might be overlooking?

What might work with vegetable oil?
What might work with wood or charcoal?

incognito
2007-01-16, 12:23
I don't see your e-mail anywhere. PM me at jonas4321@juno.com and I'll reply back with my address, thanks! I may reply with a photo of the warmer to improve the chances that we are successful.

I'll contact you today.

Need help!!!!!!! While in this thread, I'm not able to send Jonas a private message by clicking on his user name. It becomes highlited but does'nt go to his profile/messaging etc. I can get to it outside the thread and by going to "member list" at the top of the page.

Jonas4321
2007-01-16, 17:10
I used to hard boil a couple of eggs.

Mmmmm... warmth AND a snack! Can you ask for more!

Skidsteer
2007-01-16, 21:33
I'll contact you today.

Need help!!!!!!! While in this thread, I'm not able to send Jonas a private message by clicking on his user name. It becomes highlited but does'nt go to his profile/messaging etc. I can get to it outside the thread and by going to "member list" at the top of the page.

Hmmm... You're right.

It holds true for all the profile names in this thread.

Try this:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/member.php?u=1827

incognito
2007-01-17, 00:14
Hmmm... You're right.

It holds true for all the profile names in this thread.

Try this:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/member.php?u=1827

Thank You for the confirmation and help Skids:beer: