PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for Asscrackistan tomorrow

jimtanker
2007-01-11, 20:52
This time tomorrow I'll be on my way to a year of fun in the sun. Taking a nice little vacation.

Gonna miss the fam something awful, but its what I do.

I want everyone on this site to hike a mile for me. Deal?

Just Jeff
2007-01-11, 20:57
Definitely. Just found out I'm leaving soon, too. But I can hike a mile for you before I head out. Thanks again for the BBQ - you have a great family and I'm sure you'll miss them. We'll call the wife and make sure she doesn't need anything while you're gone.

Stay safe over there. And kick some ass.

jimtanker
2007-01-11, 21:03
Thanks Jeff. Forgot to tell you where Old Sarge's is at. Its in Spinglake. Chris can let you know where its at.

Just Jeff
2007-01-11, 21:12
And just to let everyone else know, Jim has taught his son remedial action for his semi-auto magazine-fed Nerf gun. Never seen a kid clear a jam so fast in my life.

incognito
2007-01-11, 21:17

It's a deal

Count me in for at least one hundred

Wish you well my friend!!!!!!

jimtanker
2007-01-11, 21:19
You mean this one?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/firingline.jpg

Just part of his arsenal.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/layout.jpg

Just Jeff
2007-01-11, 21:23
Haha - we have that paintball game, too!

Turk
2007-01-11, 21:59
That is ...... the COOLEST Nerf gun I have ever seen.

Why didnt they have all this when I was that age?!?!

First it was those shoes with wheels in them and now this crazy new
generation of nerf guns.

If they ever find a way to reverse aging. I think I could stay 12 forever.

Stay safe over there. Find a canadian to watch your back.

jimtanker
2007-01-11, 22:23
My favorite is the N.S.E.C.T. Its and RC bug that has a claw on the front for grabbing Barbies and a 6 shot rotary dart launcher for shooting at the cat. I think I play with it more than the kid does. You gotta get one.

Then again, this one is pretty damn cool too:RC HMMWV (http://www.hobbytron.com/AirsoftRCElectricHumveeHummerBattleVehicle.html)

Redleg
2007-01-11, 22:49

It's a deal, But you gotta come back breathing.
(although its 20 below (f) here in eastern oregon.
Hey, any excuse to hike.)

If you see my last 2lt (He's a Cpt. working on Maj. go easy on him he was corrupted young by bad influences (Verry old NCO's))

jaf

toddhiker
2007-01-11, 23:04
This time tomorrow I'll be on my way to a year of fun in the sun. Taking a nice little vacation.

Will do! Thank you for what you are doing for others.
God Bless!

-Toddhiker

bird dog
2007-01-12, 00:41
Nice bipod on the Nerf gun. Can you buy the optional Home defense tripod?

Keep your head up and your ass down JT.

If you or Jeffs family need something, Im just up the road. Let me know and Ill be glad to do whatever I can to help.

BD

GuffAbbott
2007-01-12, 00:45
May God go with you.

I pray for your successful mission and safe return.

- Guff

Iceman
2007-01-12, 01:09
JimTanker, you da' man! Thanks for protecting my family, this country and myself. Stay safe. When you return, I still want you to see that F'ing lake I haven't made it to yet. I will find it while you are gone, and next time out NW, I will take you. Take care. Log in and chat if you can. :adore:

Iceman
2007-01-12, 01:28
That is ...... the COOLEST Nerf gun I have ever seen.
Why didnt they have all this when I was that age?!?!

Hey Turk, maybe you can get a permit to own one of these? :top: All you need is a registration certificate, a Resident Firearms Declaration, or a Temporary Borrowing License, you may also need a Temporary Firearms License, or a Possession Only License (POL), or a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). Did I miss any of the licensee requirements your fellow Canadians need in order to possess a gu...... OH, Man, My Bad, I thought you wanted a gun for a second, Sorry! Sometimes I am very forgetful. My Fault.

SGT Rock
2007-01-12, 06:00
Is that an M145 sight on top of that thing?

Nice bipod on the Nerf gun. Can you buy the optional Home defense tripod?

They did, but kids kept loosing the parts to the T&E.

Anyway...

You keep your ass down and your head on a swivel. I hope your tour as an advisor is more rewarding than mine has been so far.

As for me, less than 30 days left on the FOB - then start the move home. See y'all in the woods.

JAK
2007-01-12, 08:33
I want everyone on this site to hike a mile for me. Deal?For sure.

Godspeed.

Seeker
2007-01-12, 11:37
didja notice how the kid's holding the stock tight to his shoulder with his left hand? good form, JT.

on a serious note, you replace a returnee on my prayer list. but all my guys have made it back safe, both OIF and OEF. god bless, and thanks.

PM on it's way too.

dixicritter
2007-01-12, 14:03

You and your family will be in my prayers Jim. Stay safe!

TeeDee
2007-01-12, 19:22
jimtanker - our prayers are with you and your family - God speed

jimtanker
2007-01-12, 21:03
This is my last post for a while. Thanks for all the great sentiments.

stray1
2007-01-12, 21:25
Jim, be safe! You and your family will be in our prayers.

Jeff, I be back at Bragg in 3 weeks. I'll take you to Old Sarge's if you haven't found it by then.

Looks like many of us will be getting to take another "vacation" to work on our tans. I just didnt realize it would happen this fast and en masse.

I'll walk two miles for you. One for you and one for the family! AIRBORNE!

Take-a-knee
2007-01-12, 23:14
Godspeed Jim, just remember that just because your ROE briefing says nothing about "Recon by Fire", doesn't mean it ain't an option. Job one is getting the job done and you have to be healthy to do that. If they have any of those Cougars over there, that is the safest ride you'll find, can't say as much for an M1114.

atraildreamer
2007-01-13, 05:16
You mean this one?

Just part of his arsenal.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/layout.jpg

This kid will be a real match for the shelter mice! :fisheye:

MalTheElder
2007-01-14, 10:55
Stay safe, Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing all y'all back in the World, safe & sound. My nephew's made three tours over there so far---one in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.

I expect to be doing a 7/70 on the Ocala next month. Consider it dedicated to you, Rock, and the rest.

Out,
Mal

Amigi
2007-01-14, 17:04
Stay safe, Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing all y'all back in the World, safe & sound. My nephew's made three tours over there so far---one in Afghanistan and two in Iraq.

I expect to be doing a 7/70 on the Ocala next month. Consider it dedicated to you, Rock, and the rest.

Out,
Mal

First, good luck and godspeed to all of you lucky fellas. As a Civcon now, I dont have to tote the load anymore, but I pray for all of you.

Mal, I live in Lake Mary. Want a partner, email me amigi968@yahoo.com. I got some time off next month.
Chuck

jimtanker
2007-01-22, 15:10
Thanks for all the great thoughts everyone. I made it here safe obviously.

Its not too bad where I'm at and what I'm doing. Thats all I'm going to say about that.

If anyone is coming to Bagram let me know and I'll show you around. :biggrin:

The mountains are beautiful around here. Would be a nice place to go hiking/camping if it werent for the 40 landmines per square mile.

Rosaleen
2007-01-22, 19:51
Jim-

Is that your child with the Nerf gun? I find this picture very alarming!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-In this picture, it appears to me that the child is sighting with his left eye while shooting from his right shoulder. It is one thing to be cross-dominant, but the angst from having to compensate all his life! Oh, NO! Check this out and get him shooting properly from the get-go! <vbg>

Rosaleen

Take-a-knee
2007-01-22, 20:07
Roger that Rosaleen! I discovered upon taking my nine-year old daughter to the range the first time that she was right-handed and left-eye dominant. Her sister's 22 Chipmunk's stock is still too long for her so I put her in the kneeling position...left handed. I didn't have high hopes but she did great, all shots in an 8in shoot and see, a lot of deer hunters can't do as well, but they don't have me for a coach. The moral of the story is if they are cross-eyed dominant start 'em with the non dominant hand on the trigger, they don't have any muscle memory to "unlearn". That was a good observation Rosaleen, I didn't catch that.

Rosaleen
2007-01-22, 20:12
Take-a-Knee-

See, BSA training can do some good! I ran the Shooting Sports area of our local Scout camp for several summers and have helped teach NRA and NAA courses. I've helped a lot of kid and some adults improve their shooting skills. You know the saying: "Thems that can do, thems that can't teach!" <wink>

Rosaleen

Just Jeff
2007-01-22, 21:48
Those who can, do. Those who believe that others can too, teach.

jimtanker
2007-01-23, 13:17
NOBODY needs to worry about my son's firearms training. I am an instrucor for the 82nd Airborne Divison's Marksmanship Training Unit. I teach for the Light Master Gunner course and the Squad Designated Marksman course. Ive outshot EVERY infantryman that Ive come up agains since I've been to Bragg. Im not bragging, just letting you know that my son is in good hands. He already knows the 4 rules of firearm handling. All else takes time.

Rosaleen
2007-01-23, 20:48
That is great, Jim, but with your training you already know that he will be better off shooting from the side of his dominant eye and that it can be hard to unlearn a habit...

Stay safe. Maybe we will meet on a trail someday.

Rosaleen

peter_pan
2007-01-23, 21:19
Jim,

Keep your head and a$$ down... see you in a year.

Pan

Iceman
2007-01-23, 21:25
JT is a gun pro. Believe me. No concerns here,...well... except for the targeted individuals, say goodnight.

SowthEfrikan
2007-01-24, 19:43
Take good care of yourselves out there!

Just Jeff
2007-03-03, 20:16

Hey - I figured this one out b/c my son was doing the same thing. Here's the problem - the scope on these toys is too high, so when his cheek is against the stock his dominant eye isn't high enough to see through the scope...so he just uses the other eye. So we're kinda stuck with choosing between two bad habits - using the non-dominant eye or not putting the cheekbone against the stock.

As he grows into a real rifle/scope his dominant eye will naturally line up with the scope, so I think that problem will correct itself. But if he doesn't learn to keep his cheek firm on the stock, he'll never get a consistently good aim. God gave us cheekbones to rest on rifles (why else would we need cheekbones?) so that's what I'm gonna teach first.

FWIW, my son uses his dominant eye on the BB gun b/c the sights are in the right place for him.