PDA

View Full Version : Bear Country

TeeDee
2007-01-15, 21:34
Now this is ALL you need when hiking in bear country:

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1168470616997&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

Gotta get one if I ever do venture there.:biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2007-01-15, 22:47
When the geeks at Berkley get the exoskeleton working they can wrap it with that. What is sad is the poor guy's patent will run out about the time they get the exoskeleton working and the govt will just copy it.

Turk
2007-01-16, 15:42
that guy is on canadian television all the time with his various suits.
Still hasn't perfected his initial purpose of the suit, but sidelines the military
applications quite well.

Read up on his backstory if you are interested. Pretty crazy..... not quite
right in the head:biggrin: He's what happens when NASA engineering meets captain Ahab.

Only improvement the suit needs is eye hooks on the feet and helmet and some cordage.
Then he could hang the whole suit like a hammock and be impervious to weather.

Mutinousdoug
2007-01-16, 17:50
18 Kilograms. I wonder if it floats?

Seeker
2007-01-16, 18:02
"trojan"...

i think that name's already taken, regarding the protection of male anatomy. :D

TeeDee
2007-01-16, 18:06
Pretty crazy..... not quite
right in the head:biggrin: He's what happens when NASA engineering meets captain Ahab.

Hmmm - if his suit works, maybe we need a few more that aren't quite right in the head :biggrin:

Believe me, being "normal" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Being a little weird is a LOT more fun :biggrin:

Never grow up, then everything can be fun.

Mutinousdoug
2007-01-16, 22:11
Operative phrase: "If the suit works".
Previous versions weighed 130 lbs; not something I'll be taking on a hike. Or the current model at 18 kilos either.

If the suit works; then I'd be interested in seeing his "Angel light" demonstrated.

The "Church" figured Galileao was crazy too. The "Proof is in the pudding".

Take-a-knee
2007-01-16, 23:06
The US soldier can't carry anymore than he is now loaded down with. Today's mounted soldier's combat load approaches the combined fighting/existence load of yesterday's infantry. If you want total body armor (think Starship Troopers) you'll have to have some way to power them, like Heinlein imagined. The exoskeleton will happen...one day.

stray1
2007-01-17, 21:51
I will take the RoboCop ExO as soon as you can do a proper PLF and run!

shooter
2007-02-07, 14:59
does it work on gators.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.
Daniel Boone

Mutinousdoug
2007-02-07, 16:11
Shooter,
I'd bet it works on 'gators. Depends on how long you can hold your breath.

sailingsoul
2007-02-07, 23:35
Don't know how to make a hyperlink post but a search on "youtube" for "Dog Tasered" got me to wonder. This dog gets tasered and after the shock runs like a race horse ,,,,away! What does anyone thinks of a taser for bear protection? I for one would want to see a video of a test. first . SS :captain:

sailingsoul
2007-02-07, 23:37
Guess you'd have to be sure to get a shot through the fir or up his nose!

dropkick
2007-02-08, 00:38
Don't know how to make a hyperlink post but a search on "youtube" for "Dog Tasered" got me to wonder. This dog gets tasered and after the shock runs like a race horse ,,,,away! What does anyone thinks of a taser for bear protection? I for one would want to see a video of a test. first . SS :captain:
Pepper spray continues to work after you spray, doesn't require precision in your aim, and it incapacitates the bear to some extent.
A tazer would be a one shot deal, and even if you were lucky enough to get a direct hit on the bear it might only make it angry, and when it recovered it could turn a mock charge into the real thing.
I'm sticking to my pepper spray with my pistol for back up.

Iceman
2007-02-08, 02:04
I am sticking with rounds 1 thru 5, with round 6 for backup. If that don't work, Oh well....I tried....

SunnyWalker
2008-01-10, 03:53
Any recommends on a brand of pepper spray that would double as self defense against a human as well as a bear? Or will any brand do both? Thanks. -SunnyWalker

dropkick
2008-01-11, 03:53
Any brand of bear spray will work on a human.
None of the self defense sprays will work on bears.
-They don't spray a far enough distance, contain enough capsicum (working agent), and they don't hold enough spray.

I carry Counter Assault - I remember researching the different brands before I bought, but I can't remember why I settled on this. I know it's a top brand but I might have picked it just because they carry it at my local sporting goods store.

P.S. If your in California and you use bear spray on a human you can get in trouble, even if it is self defense. They separate which spray is ok to use on humans by the size of the container.
Also if you go into Canada the border guards make you throw away your bear spray. Even though you can legally replace it with exactly the same spray (costs more) in Canada.

4eyedbuzzard
2008-01-12, 00:21
P.S. If your in California and you use bear spray on a human you can get in trouble, even if it is self defense. They separate which spray is ok to use on humans by the size of the container.
Also if you go into Canada the border guards make you throw away your bear spray. Even though you can legally replace it with exactly the same spray (costs more) in Canada.

P.P.S.;) Bear spray is also prohibited in National Parks except in Alaska. 36 CFR 1:4 and 2:4