PDA

View Full Version : Camera

dropkick
2007-01-26, 23:55
Seems like I'm never going to get a good digital camera.

Tried the present route.
My last birthday, got a new sleeping bag instead.
Christmas, got an iPod.
And now my birthday is coming again and yesterday I got an early present, an external hard drive.

I really like what I got, needed the hard drive, enjoy the heck out of the iPod (though I never considered getting one myself), and the sleeping bag is great. But I've been hinting* about a camera for 2 years!

*My hints usually go like this: "This is what I want, if you want to get it for me." subtle

I think my family is scared of them - too many features, and most of my family are Luddites when it comes to electronics.
I've tried to show them the features I want, but I think I just confused them.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy my own.

I know I asked before (long ago) but any recommendations?
I don't want something high end, just a camera I can carry along on hikes.
I would like to stay under $200, and the closer to $100 you can get the happier I'll be.
Any help is appreciated.

Take-a-knee
2007-01-27, 00:13
I bought a Pentax Optio 4.0 megapixel. it is the one that looks like a little brown box, it uses those crazy (expensive) CRV lithium batteries, but it will run off of AA's, which is why I bought it. That and the fact it is waterproof. I paid $330 for it 18mo ago, and I'm sure it is much cheaper now, if you can find one. All the optios appeared to be going rechargable so I decided to go ahead and buy one. I don't use it much, but I have it when I need it. That Canon Elf is what I would look at if I were buying now.

Take-a-knee
2007-01-27, 00:30
Dropkick, here is a link at Amazon that describes the camera I have, I wasn't even sure of the model number.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-43WR-Resistant-Digital-Optical/dp/B00021OZOE/sr=1-11/qid=1169871

As you'll see they are out of them which means that model is being phased out, you might find it discounted somewhere. Also there are reviews there, from people who've used it more than I have.

Mutinousdoug
2007-01-27, 13:10
DK,
I have an Olympus Stylus 410 that, except for the styling (too much chrome and gold trim) which I find to be a little ghey, I'm happy with. 4Mp with 3x optical zoom. About the size of a pack of cigarettes and is "weather resistant" not water proof. It uses rechargable Li-ion battery but it has taken as many as 60 pics on one charge so I don't need to carry a spare if I charge it before taking it out. (YMMV)
My wife has a Canon 6Mp (don't have the model number handy) that she likes and it takes 2 AA batteries (that it has a VORACIOUS appetite for) It's only a little larger, but corrispondingly more expensive. I think it was about $250 two years ago.
Neither of these are new in their life cycle so they should be found discounted somewhere.

Iceman
2007-01-27, 18:33
I agree with MutinousDoug. As I spoke before in another thread, I carry an Olympus Stylus 300, a meager 3.2megapixel/3X optical zoom, this one is all weather, all steel case. Not even sure if you could find one anymore. Loved it so much, wife asked we buy a second for her. Absolutely awesome camera. Incredible photos. Lith bat does not fail you on any given trip. I would buy again, if I come across another. Second camera only cost us a bit over 100$, due to three year (Now five or six year) model year...

Buy Olympus.