PDA

View Full Version : Interesting concept for a Hammock

TeeDee
2007-02-01, 17:49
Just ran aross this hammock.

Interesting. Hoisting yourself up would be a good concept if you had the proper tackle.

Wonder how well it really works. They write on the home page that it is a prototype and only $100.00 (free shipping).

If I had $100.00 laying around with nothing else to do with it, I would splurge just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else.

Mutinousdoug
2007-02-01, 18:42
TeeDee
You gonna give us a link or just tease us?

Just Jeff
2007-02-01, 21:19
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

TeeDee
2007-02-01, 21:55
Sorry about that - Just Jeff found it. :biggrin:

Mutinousdoug
2007-02-01, 22:32
So...
I'm going to climb 12' in the air to hang this thing, or drop it 12' off a cliff to hang it?:afraid:
It weighs 4 Kg w/o fly or mosco net? or hoisting gear?

sailingsoul
2007-02-09, 17:48
I've seen this before! This is the same rig Shamu uses. He won't sleep in any thing else, whenever he makes a trip. I've seen him in it when he travels on planes. Wish I had HH when taking one of those 12+ hours flights accross the pacific, instead of an airline seat. SS :captain:

dropkick
2007-02-12, 02:04
Looks uncomfortable to me.
I think it would feel like trying to sleep inside a bunch of tires.

The only way I can see it not feeling like that is with either a extremely stiff fabric (read heavy and uncomfortable), or with some form of separator up top. And even then if you have middle support straps you have tight and loose areas.

Maybe if it only had 4 attachment points, none in the middle, and a separator bar up top??

Too much work.

sailingsoul
2007-02-13, 14:11
My point exactly Dropkick , although not specifically stated. Shamu doesn't have arms as we do and when out of water needs full support to breathe, not just on his bottom side. That's why they can't tye him on a gurney. This design promotes the arms to be press firmly to the side. leaving them to be placed on the chest or up in the air to escape "the squeeze" this design will produce. If you want to change position, toss , turn,or roll over the squeeze will make movement a strugle. SS

Lanthar
2007-02-13, 16:46
So...
I'm going to climb 12' in the air to hang this thing, or drop it 12' off a cliff to hang it?:afraid:
It weighs 4 Kg w/o fly or mosco net? or hoisting gear?

Nah, toss a rock bag over your branch and repull up the hanging rope... lord help you if you're not high enough... then you become a pinata rather than a trip wire...

Mutinousdoug
2007-02-13, 19:24
I missed the single point attachment deal; that would make hanging simpler.
Out west here though, I usually have only aspens or ponderosa pine to hang from so I'm not buying in just yet.

dchinell
2007-03-05, 12:21
I'm not affiliated with Tom Claytor or his Mosquito Hammocks in any way, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

I have not tried the bat hammock, but have used (and still use) his other models: Mosquito, Expedition, and Jungle.

I think the Expedition hammock is a great value, and is perfectly suited to the kind of hammocking I do. It's sort of like a HH, but with all the advantages of a top-loader as well.

The attached net isn't in the way at all, as the hammock can easily be spun upside-down during the day, then right-side-up when the bugs emerge. If I designed my own ideal hammock, it would come out exactly like the Expedition.

I've owned many HH models, and used systems assembled from other hammocks, mosquito nets, and suspension systems, and this is the one I use most.

I DO modify the standard model, replacing the hanging straps with a 2-foot length of 1/4-inch diameter nylon or spectra cord, to which I attach double rings using a Lark's head.

Bear

Jonas4321
2007-03-06, 12:32
Interesting that they don't have any pictures with people *IN* the Bat Hammock. Is that because they would have "I'm being uncomfortably squeezed" looks on their faces? No matter how stiff the material, I agree that you'd need spreaders above to prevent the thing from wedging you from the sides.

Same principle as a sling firewood carrier - the wood stays put because of the force being applied from the side fabric as gravity acts on the load.

Okay, I know I haven't tried it...:ahhhhh: