PDA

View Full Version : Henessy or Clark four seasons

perico
2007-02-02, 13:19
Im pretty new in the hammock camping world. Nevertheless Im looking for a 4 seasons hammock to hike in the Sierra Nevada mountains, here, in my country, Spain. After surfing a lot I still have not decided wich one is the most suitable. I favoured the Clark North American Model. Has no extras. Everything comes standar. But I also have seen the Henessy with the supershelter four season system. The Clark seems to be stronger and more reliable, but can anyone help me and tell me which is stronger and more apropiated for a serious four season hiking.

peter_pan
2007-02-02, 17:18
Either works well.... give your insulation plans, especially for the bottom, serious consideration.

Pan

Mutinousdoug
2007-02-02, 23:10
Have to agree with peter pan: Unless you hang in the tropics, under hammock insulation is key to hammocking comfort. Top load or bottom load, each has it's advantages and shortcomings. Don't denigrate the HH for the bottom cut. You will find the velcro attached screen of the top loaders at least as problematic.
You'll get a better night's sleep in either than sleeping on the ground from day one. There is no way of telling which you will prefer until you sleep in them.

blackie
2007-02-03, 15:27
In my humble opinion . the HH is the more adaptable...i have used mine in fearce storms..cold blowing winds..summer heat ..and all things inbetween,,it has never let me down..even when i wasnt paying attention and made stupid mistakes it came thru for me..the bottom exit is the faster ( to me) and was a big selling point for me..good luck and safe journeys

shooter
2007-02-22, 16:20
perico
i with blackie on this one,my hennessy has held up very well,and the bottom opening is sooo easy for entry.
as for being sturdy my safari is stout,hennessy makes a great product,and they are good people to deal with.
what ever you do get a hammock you will be glad you did.

skeaters suck

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-21, 13:18
I actually called Clarks yesterday since I was home and I talked to Gary the owner for some time. He was pretty adamant that the hammock with gear or inflated zip lock bags in the external pockets and a proper sleeping bag should keep you warm and comfortable to the rating of the bag. He also said that some people do well with adding a ccp from wally world or the likes. The reason he said that people think they need under quilts is because all the other hammocks require them, where as the North American doesn’t and is a 4 season hammock on it’s own.

I guess the only way for me to find out is to buy it lol, since I don't know anyone who has one nor are they sold locally.

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-21, 21:18
... The reason he said that people think they need under quilts is because all the other hammocks require them, where as the North American doesnt and is a 4 season hammock on its own.

I guess the only way for me to find out is to buy it lol, since I don't know anyone who has one nor are they sold locally.

But once you've stuffed your Clark with zip-lock bags or gear, you have an underquilted hammock, right?
Pay your money: sleep happy.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-07, 10:38
I made it easily to 17 degrees last night (F) in my Clarks North American, with my 3/4 ccf in my SPE 4x4, ziplock bags in the pockets, and a 25 degree sleeping bag wearing nothing but socks, sweetpants, and a thin fleece shirt. Even though it was warm, it was a bit tight, and the rainfly on the clarks sucks.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-08, 13:00
Okay kids here we are again with our latest report on my adventures with hammock tinkering. So last night got down to about 12F but the wind after midnight was ridiculous, I thought I could hear the roof of my house wanting to blow off, I guess over 25 mph and during the gusts probably more.

So raising the rain fly 2 feet above the hammock helped immeasurably. It made it very easy to get into the hammock without rubbing my head against it, there was no condensation in the morning, and since I used a second ridgeline to support the netting that I rigged with bungee cords, I actually had more room in the hammock as well.

For consistency purposes I wore the same thing to bed that I wore the other night, except I put on clean underwear. I also filled my canteen with very hot water, just to see what would happen.

My pad set up was the same, one ” thick 20 inch wide pad that roughly runs the length of the hammock tucked into an SPE 4x4. In the 4x4 wings I have ” thick ridge rest cut into 5 inch wide by 20 inch long wings. Under my hammock where the pockets are I have 6 1 gallon Ziploc bags inflated and tucked inside them. This is also where stored my boots, and plan to put other gear when I go out in the field. I used the same 25F sleeping bag that I used the other night, it’s a mummy style, and I tucked my feet into the feet area with the remainder of the bag open, which I used as a quilt. I also brought with me but never used an additional down quilt I have here that is about the size of two towels, it’s like a thin down quilts for midgets.

So I got into bed around midnight and it was 12F outside, but I don’t know what the wind chill factor was, or the true speed of the wind because my outside digital thermometer doesn’t register that stuff. I also didn’t check the temperature after midnight, so it might have been colder. At any rate it was ball shrinking cold out there, and having been inside all by myself, since the girlfriend and kids are a way for the next two weeks, I was enjoying myself watching videos, playing Halo, and getting very very drunk. When it finally came time to go outside to go to sleep I really didn’t want to leave my warn couch, but in the interest of science and being very very drunk, I went anyway, and I brought my BB air pistol, just in case those pesky coyotes came back (I’m not stupid enough to bring the 9 mm after having been drinking, you should be proud of me).

I slept like a baby, and never woke up once, except for about two o’clock in the morning when the cat was meowing like hell outside of my hammock. I simply grabbed him, and threw him in the bulkhead! Stupid cat. But it was easy to get in and out of the hammock with the new setup, even while extremely inebriated.

When I woke up in the morning at about 8:15 a.m. there was no condensation at all on the rain flying or on top of the hammock along the storm guard thing or on the no-see-um net, like there was the other night, even though it was colder outside.

I did get a little chill around the shoulders and elbows if they slipped away from the SPE, but I only noticed that in the morning when I woke up, it wasn’t enough to wake me up in the middle of the night. I think if I adjusted the wings on the SPE a little, and made them out of the same material that the other pad is made out of, that ” thick stuff, I’d be good to go to at least 114,000 below zero, well maybe not that cold. I do have a 0 bag coming soon, which is bigger than the 25 bag I was using, and I should actually be able to fit in it. This should help make things easier to get in, as well is better on the sides and over my face if I need it to.

I found where that draft was coming from but I’m not sure how to remedy it because the Clark’s storm guard seems to go over the area that creates the Ridgeline and or connects to the rain fly. There seems to be a ” to 1” gap left by the zipper on either side of the hammock, since you can get in on either side, or remove the storm guard and no-see-um net, as it can’t close around that connection point very well. It’ll take some further investigation and possibly a call in to the Clark’s people to ask.

So I’m going to go out there and fiddle around with it later, while I cook my duck on the grill, and finish off that bottle of vodka that I started last night. Tonight should be around 30F, but it is a work night, so I’ll have to rig an alarm clock.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-08, 13:15
Here are some pics for the above post.