PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Bakin'Stove

Turk
2007-02-11, 01:29
Have been attempting since before christmas to build a bushbuddy type wood burner stove with the capability of performing multiple cooking tasks. I wanted something that could boil water with the best of them, and somehow be converted with minimal weight to bake, simmer and slow fry, heck I dont know even make toast.

The Canadian Bakin'
Photo 1. - Made from 326g Coffee can for outer shell and Canadian King Can of beer for upper combustion chamber. Stove features 2 combustion chambers with 2 ports for feeding wood fuel.
Photo 2. - Interior shot 2 sets of primary air ports and 2 sets of secondary airs. Don't really know the physics behind this stove. It has been complete trial and error. This is why the proto is so crude.
Photo 3. - I've had to speed produce this stove several times to test different slight tweaks like chamber heights and air vent sizing to get a model that performed properly.
Photo 4. - This one has had the best success. Seems that any mods I do beyond this point produce undesirable performance issues.
Photo 5. - Lighting the stove is alot like tossing a match in a gas can. I load the upper combustion chamber with fuel. Kindle the lower chamber and light from the lower chamber only. Within seconds, a raging inferno insues.
Photo 6. - The base of the pot sits flush on the top of the stove. I found this to be crucial to the performance when low, controlled, even heat is desired. The flames in the upper chamber are quickly snuffed, but the lower chamber
contines to burn steady.
Photo 7. - Within a couple minutes the wood in the upper chamber burns completely flameless. Just a slow steady orange glow. In both my bread-test and water test I was able to maintain this state without any flame-ups for well over an hour. I am confident this state can be maintained indefinately once I refine the construction.
Photo 8. - The fuel capacity of the upper chamber is limited by the small size I was shooting for with this stove. The dimensions of the stove are such that it will just.. JUST nest perfectly with the Snowpeak 900 pot set. and my SS 1.1L no name knock off. The intense orange glow of the upper combustion chamber lasts aprox 30 mins of even heat. (+/- 10deg F) when burning white birch without refueling in all tests.
Photo 9. - A completely fair weigh in. After several burns, without any cleaning of the stove. Just nocking the majority of ashes out. Stove comes in at 3.6oz. Hoping to have a finished model below 3.0oz.
Photo 10 - A simple lightweight Al pot stand. To be used only for quick boiling a pot of water. Need more tests in this mode. Very comparable to bushbuddy in performance. You can top feed the chamber and waste fuel to increase boil time. Simple stand nests inside stove and weighs 0.3oz.
Photo 11 - smoked Beef Jerky and Pizza both cooked on the Canadian Bakin. Jerky took 3.5hrs. Pizza took 35 mins. Really proud of the results. ( I was told to always poke holes in the dough just when it is cooked enough to lift it. Not much of a cook. Need more basic baking tips, but this was the best golden crust I have been able to produce on a wood stove.)
* - pizza was made with 100% non perishable trail-usable ingredients.
* - beef jerky was marinated for 2 days in my ronco dehydrator trays in fridge. Was making a batch
anyways, so had to try smoking on the stove. Meat had partial cure when started smoking. From scratch
would take longer. Not sure If i would put total faith in the quality of the drying on the stove yet. Okay if being eaten soon. But not the same as a good dehydrator batch.

Photo 12 - The bread test. I was measuring the temp of water to see how long I could maintain 200deg water on the stove without dropping below 190 and without achieving a boil. The bread test was alot more fun. I could visually watch the results and figure out how much fuel to load and how long I could maintain good heat without burning the bread. I probablly burned a loaf of bread in previous prototypes. Also drank alot of beer for the sake of construction material.

So .... that is all the positive things I can rhyme off about this stove. Now for the remaining problems and design elements I am struggling with. Your input and expertise would be most appreciated. Maybe it is even simple and obvious to some of you experts. If so great :) help me out. Not much of a builder and I dont really understand the workings of this stove. I am where I am through pure trial and observation.

Now for the bad...
Photo 13 - A fundamental design flaw. After only aprox 6hrs of total burn time, and 4 total burns there is already significant warping from thermal cycling. My upper combustion chamber is just too thin. (being the King can of beer). But it fit the coffee can so well. I wish I could invert the two. My outer shell is way overbuilt. I could cut alot of weight from it if I could find something else to use. Then use something thicker and stronger inside.
Photo 14 - More warping. But really just bad construction. After so much repetition making this stove, I started just bending tabs to fit the two chambers. Was alot faster until I produced a model that works. What I need now is a long term solution for sealing the two together.
Photo 15 - This is a pretty big functionality problem. The stove works great so long as you do not take the pot off the stove in baking mode. If you do this, the fuel in the upper combustion chamber instantly bursts into flames, instead of maintaining that nice even glow. You have to fiddle a bit to snuff it out again. This can also spike the temperature up by 100> degs. in seconds.
This means I have to learn more about baking, to get aprox cook times. Also means the overall function of the stove comes with a pretty steep learning curve.
Photo 16 - the pic makes it look worse than reality. It isnt actually burnt. Makes toast ... I guess. But since you cant lift and re-position the bread, you only get circle toast:biggrin: with the crusts still raw.
http://www.ehko.info/HQ_CBstove_col_1.jpg

So ya, there it is. The good and the bad. Will try and dial in the design.
Still have high hopes. It works... it just needs refinement. A complete, diverse app, wood fired cook stove that nests in a small pot and weighs in at 3.0oz or less. Thats what im shooting for.

oh ya. P.S. - I've all but given up on the Hobo Kelly project. I just cant get the right material for my chamber.
Many many failed attempts. But I cant get anything close to matching Incognitos inverse kelly. This has been
my focus to divert from the frustration of the kettle stove.

JAK
2007-02-11, 16:58
Could this stove be used as a back burner, for some good old Canadian back bakin'?

JAK
2007-02-11, 17:05
Thanks for all the photos. Lots of good ideas at work there.
I am also still working on my wood stove, ceramic or other wise.

incognito
2007-02-11, 17:27
Excellent Idea

Excellent craftsmanship

Excellent photos

Thats 3 E's the highest you can get.

For that, I give you these--------:adore: :adore: :adore:

Your tradesmanship shows!!!!!!!!!

sailingsoul
2007-02-11, 21:40
Most enjoyable write up. The photos speak. Thanks for taking the time. great info. SS

dropkick
2007-02-12, 02:14
What are you using as a floor to separate the upper burn chamber from the bottom?

Lanthar
2007-02-12, 17:35
I really like your design, Turk... hadn't thought of 'smothering' the main burn chamber to force it to embers and getting a steady burn... probably sooted the crap out of your pot but I doubt that matters to you since you like wood (as do I)

It seems to me that you need to use a standard vegetable can for your inner chamber and find an aluminum (maybe a can that drink powder of some sort comes in) outer can to get what you're aiming at... me, I think I'm just gonna try a bean can and a peach can...

Hopefully I can play with it the next time I'm out with the scouts...

JAK
2007-02-13, 21:08
I saw a really tall coffee can at walmart for Nescafe instant coffee.
It looked about 10" tall and 4" diameter. Looked interesting.
Makes 155 cups or something like that.