PDA

View Full Version : Tarp tent

Bear
2007-02-25, 01:45
Is anyone familiar with the Henry Shires Tarp Tent Cloud Burst 2? I am looking for a 2 man tent and I am trying to get as light as possible. So far this is the lightest I have found on the net but I am not familiar with this tent. I know a tarp would be lighter but I prefer a tent.

Take-a-knee
2007-02-25, 02:09
Anything Shires' makes is good stuff, whether it'll suit your needs is another question, we mostly hang hammocks here. You might find more at an AT site like Whiteblaze or the PCT site.

Bear
2007-02-25, 03:12
Thanks Take-a-knee, quality is my biggest concern. I have searched many places on the net and this tent seems to be the lightest I can find. I thought about hammocks but most of my backpacking is with my son so we divide gear to balance the load. I know my wife would like to make a trip with us and maybe my nephew so I would like another two man tent. I bought my son a Big Agnes which is 4 pounds but the Cloud Burst is 2.5 pounds and looks like it sets up a lot easier.

deadeye
2007-02-25, 09:49
I have a TarpTent Squall (I think it's a squall - the 2-man version), it's an older model, 4 or 5 years old now. Top notch peice of gear, well built, and should last me next to forever since I mostly use my hammock. I figure the only wear area would be the floor, but since it's built to work without it, if the floor ever wears out, I don't care. I got my money's worth, and most people are amazed when I toss them a sub 2-pound package and pronounce "here's my tent"

Frolicking Dino
2007-02-25, 10:09
Shires tents are among the best designs for ground-dwelling backpackers. His customer service is top-notch and he stands behind every single tent he sells.

As for the Cloudburst2 - I saw a couple with this tent in the many, many driving downpours at TrailDays one year. They stayed dry and were happily playing cards in their tent with all of their gear inside. It has plenty of room for 2.

PKH
2007-02-25, 17:45
I used an original Cloudburst for three years and it always served me well. I never got wet and I had no problems with durability. Well, there was the time a semi-wild horse stomped the thing, and snapped the rear pole, but few tents could have survived that ordeal.

The only thing I ever wished for was an extended front awning, and Henry has addressed that issue in the Cloudburst 2. A fine shelter.

Having said all that: I now use a Tarptent Rainbow. I loved my old Cloudburst, but I have to say the Rainbow is better. If you are looking at a two man shelter, the Rainbow 2 is definitely worth a look. You'll have no problems with customer service; Henry Shires is good people.

Cheers,

PKH

Bear
2007-02-25, 19:08
Thanks to all for responding. That answers the questions I had about the tent quality and whether it would keep me dry during a driving rain.