PDA

View Full Version : Hello ....new here got a Q

oldguy52
2007-02-27, 09:45
Hello everybody, I've been lurking here for a while and enjoying all your knowlege. Been a lot of years since my wife and I did any backpacking, but we are looking at getting into camping and biking again. So ... since I don't want to carry the 70 lbs that didn't seem all that bad 25 years ago, I'm trying to buy some lighter gear.

I know I've gotten the cart a little before the horse here, but last night I made up my mind to buy a Golite hex 3 tent + nest and I'm wondering if there's anybody here using them and what their experience has been. I also looked at the Black Diamond Mega, but after looking at some reviews of BDs single wall tents, I decided that their choice of material was maybe not as good as it could be and for quite a bit more money, once the bug nest is included.

Anybody out their using these things??

Thanks for any advice.

Rik

Take-a-knee
2007-02-27, 10:54
I see the BD Mega and the Golite Hex as cold weather tent/tarps. If it is warm enough to need a bug screen, it is warm enough to hang a hammock, and that is exactly what I reccommend. I plan to do some hunting in the mountain west in the future and I'm looking at a shelter from Titanium Goat with some sort of LW tent stove, probably the TG titanium.

deadeye
2007-02-27, 11:16
Golite generally makes good stuff, but since you asked... I suggest checking out Henry Shires' tents at www.tarptent.com

If you're not hanging, he makes great stuff at a reasonable price

Sgt.Krohn
2007-02-27, 15:39
http://i17.tinypic.com/2ytqov7.jpg

SGT Rock
2007-02-27, 21:06
Nice pic, I should have that sent to new users somehow when they first sign up.

Sgt.Krohn
2007-02-27, 21:54
the pic is up on the Tinypic server - just save the URL
http://i17.tinypic.com/2ytqov7.jpg
and post it when a newbie posts

oldguy52
2007-02-28, 10:33
Golite generally makes good stuff, but since you asked... I suggest checking out Henry Shires' tents at www.tarptent.com

If you're not hanging, he makes great stuff at a reasonable price

If I'm alone, I can always use my HH. I have looked at and drooled over Henry Shires tarptents. But they won't do what I need, if my wife is with me. Infact, we have a tent that we've had for years that is shaped and looks much like a "Cloudburst". The biggest reason for my choice of the Hex 3 is it's height. My wife has had a stroke last summer and probably won't be able to easily wiggle into a low tent like that anytime soon. She should be able to duck a bit and walk right in to a Hex 3. Making camping possible for her is what's really driving this choice.

That and I kinda like teepees :)

Rik

Take-a-knee
2007-02-28, 11:04
Sounds like that Golite Hex will suit your needs fine. Just for giggles check out the teepees from Titanium Goat before you buy, it'll cost more but I like supporting the "little guy". Ray Jardine said that Golite basically ripped him off. You can sell either one on ebay in a jiffy. I saw a hex go on ebay for over 80% of a new price. The Outfitter at Harper's Ferry has the Hex always listed on ebay.

Hollowdweller
2007-02-28, 18:27

Hey good to see you Sgt Rock:beer:

Just Jeff
2007-03-01, 22:35
I've slept in a friend's Hex 3 before. I was pretty impressed at how well it handled the wind and there's plenty of room inside. Since the walls slant out, I wonder how easy it is to get in and out during a rainstorm w/o getting water inside. Used as a tarp this isn't really a big deal, but if you have a floor you might have to wipe it out.

oldguy52
2007-03-02, 00:42
I've slept in a friend's Hex 3 before. I was pretty impressed at how well it handled the wind and there's plenty of room inside. Since the walls slant out, I wonder how easy it is to get in and out during a rainstorm w/o getting water inside. Used as a tarp this isn't really a big deal, but if you have a floor you might have to wipe it out.

Thanks Jeff. Yeah I hadn't thought about the rain thing. Hopefully I'll have enough sense to stay in if it's raining..... at least if it's raining hard enough to matter much. I do have a camp towel I use that would pretty easily pick up any water that might end up on the floor. It'll soak up so much water that you can use it to bail out your boat. :)

Oh yeah .... and thanks for the "warm" welcome guys.:biggrin:

Rik