PDA

View Full Version : mixed drinks (how-to)

Turk
2007-03-04, 10:54
Greetings folks. I know this topic has been bounced around dozens of other forums posts. I was hoping to gather here in this thread a comprehensive guide for "How to make a drink in the bush". - not limitted to, but certainly focused on the alcohol variety. If you know of some drinks. And a quick blurb on how you make them using 'field gear' that would be great. if you have already posted some from another thread would you mind copy/paste the recipe here? I was hoping to gather up all the great bush recipes in one spot.
I searched, but if someone has already started doing this, let me know and ill delete.
If not, I'll kick it off.

How-to: Mix a Drink in the Bush

The Newbie Kool - mix equal parts gin or vodka with water in cook pot. Add 1 widemouth nalgene cap full of sugar-free powdered kool-aid. (recommend Cherry flavour). Stir, pour to water container and serve.

The Multitool-driver - add equal parts vodka and water to cook pot. Add orange or tangerine flavour crystal light powder. Stir, pour to water container and serve. This drink can be served hot or cold.

Classic Cosmopolitan - add 4 parts vodka, 2 parts tripple sec, 2 parts water to cook pot. Add 2 servings Crystal Light cranberry powder, 1 part Lime Jello powder. Stir, and pour to container.

Blue Sky Martini - pre-mix at home before trip. Add to one 500ml water bottle; 10oz vodka, 2.5oz vermouth, 2.5oz blue curaco. (This will fill a 500ml Nalgene to the neck line). Serve with trail picked blue berries skewered on a pine needle for extra LCF.

Paddle Pirate - mix equal parts dark rum, amaretto, and water to cook pot. Add orange tang drink powder in proportion to water used. Stir, rebottle and serve.

Iceman
2007-03-04, 14:28
Everclear Slushy; Upon arriving to camp, mix some crystal light powered drink mix in your nalgene bottle. Fill your drink mug with snow. Pour over the snow one ounce Everclear or Hootch, and fill mug with crystal light fluid. Enjoy! Best served at higher elevations in the summer, be sure to camp near the snow pack! :beer:

deadeye
2007-03-04, 21:21
I have to give it a name, huh? Well, since my brother first made one for me a couple years ago, I'll have to name it after him:

the "Pink Dick" :aetsch:

Make a cup of pink lemonade from powdered mix, add a shot or three of Southern Comfort. If it's cool, heat the lemonade up first.

Whenever anyone else is around, I just call it "booze in my lemonade" :beer:

Just Jeff
2007-03-04, 22:03
Yeah - don't think I'd tell anyone "I'm drinking a Pink Dick."

I rarely take alcohol into the woods, but some things mix pretty well with whatever drink powder is on hand. Vodka and Everclear especially. Jello makes good stuff too if you're into the fru-fru stuff. Drink it warm, too.

=====

Off topic alert...

Hehe - I went to the museum in Raleigh today where they have several aquariums with native species...overheard this conversation:

5yo kid: Daddy, what's that?
Dad: It's a Slippery Dick, and that one's a...
Friend: Make you uncomfortable saying that?

Sure nuff...there's a fish native to NC named Slippery Dick.

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-04, 22:28
Before this thread becomes too uncomfortable, put me down in the bourbon and branchwater or single malt and burn side of the debate.
Koolade and Tang are survival foods.
Just my opinion. You go, guys.

shooter
2007-03-05, 16:36
i have a friend that tends bar,i will ask about the pink dick(drink of course).
my slef a little dickle and water for me.

gators stink

Spice1
2007-04-10, 21:02
And when I go to the woods, my finace and I both agree; Bushmills Irish Whisky. A fifth can be coaxed into the nalgene sized strap/holder on a pack which lends instant cool walking into hobo camps, and a litre is just the right size to tuck out of the center pocket of a large alice pack, again instant cool, but only if you're a civilian. ;)

No sarge, that's class six supply.

SGT Rock
2007-04-10, 22:58
Before this thread becomes too uncomfortable, put me down in the bourbon and branchwater or single malt and burn side of the debate.
Koolade and Tang are survival foods.
Just my opinion. You go, guys.

Second on the bourbon and branchwater.:beer:

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-11, 07:45
Back before I gave up strong libations for the good of society, it was 5:1 Tang and Everclear. We called them Spacedrivers because Tang was developed for astronauts.

dropkick
2007-04-12, 00:54
I had a friend that drank tequilla mixed with Tang as her mixed drink of choice.

If you mix Capt. Morgans with Tang it tastes like a creamsicle.
Peach Schnapps and Tang tastes kind of like a Fuzzy Navel.

For me these drinks are too sweet for more than one, so I'll stick with sipping my rye.

Deadeye - I can imagine all kinds of bad off color jokes coming from your drink.

"Man after last night I'm really having trouble getting the taste of your Pink Dick out of my mouth"
or
"I don't know what happened to Tom, I was telling him that once we got to camp and I got some of my Pink Dick into him he'd warm up, when he got this panicked look on his face and ran away"

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-04, 09:58
Best mixed drink ever, prepare the basics at home.

Mix 16oz of Jack Daniels into an empty 16oz plastic or nalgene bottle, cover and store in your pack for the trip :)

Truckin
2007-05-04, 16:56
slightly off topic but close enough. I rarely drink when I'm out, but if I do it will most likely be bourbon straight. When camping not far from the car nothing beats a cold New Castle Brown.

JCW
2007-05-20, 18:09
Patron Gold Tequilla. No need to mix anything with it.

PKH
2007-05-21, 09:34
One of the simplest and best I know is a packet of apple cider mixed with a generous shot of rum (dark best). This makes a great hot toddy on those colder nights.

Cheers,

PKH

Pappyhighlife
2007-05-22, 14:59
Gee I guess good ole Tom likes alittle Pink Dick.. Too bad seemed like a nice guy...

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-14, 22:42
Pink Dick? Sounds like a drink that goes down real smooth while listening to some soothing BANJO music. (Right before you end up squeeling like a pig!)

My favorite is Pappy's home brew - cut it with a lil antifreeze if you need. And if you really MUST start a fire it burns Reeel Purty.

(That's shine for you yankees and the canuk)

pure_mahem
2008-01-15, 00:18
Mountain Do! 1 2 litre bottle of Mountain Dew 1 fith of Gin mix equal parts when both ar gone you will do almost anything or become one with the mountain, lol!

JRiker
2008-02-12, 21:21
as much jack daniels as i can justify carrying. good for coffee in the morning, good by itself at night. tastes fine when luke warm after a day of dessert hiking, warms you up if above the treeline. any bourbon will do, but uncle jack's my favorite...

JRiker
2008-02-12, 21:22
oops... desert, not dessert

oops56
2008-02-12, 22:34
oops... desert, not dessert

This is how know witch is witch one is twice as good has two ss

Wise Old Owl
2008-02-20, 03:22
Everclear Slushy; Upon arriving to camp, mix some crystal light powered drink mix in your nalgene bottle. Fill your drink mug with snow. Pour over the snow one ounce Everclear or Hootch, and fill mug with crystal light fluid. Enjoy! Best served at higher elevations in the summer, be sure to camp near the snow pack! :beer:

Ohh my, When you drink too much Everclear, are you close to the snowpack so you can identify where you spewed from the night before?

They had such a problem here in PA with College people dying from alcohol overdose Everclear is not for sale here.

puke:

enviro
2008-03-07, 17:56
A drink that I used to drink in my youth is Everclear and Gatorade. We called it rocket fuel.

Now in my middle years I'm much more comfortable with my flask of Maker's Mark, and some friends to share it with.

Iceman
2008-03-22, 12:45
Everclear was my liquor of choice for backpacking due to the octane level. If weight was not a concern, maybe some JD.

To be honest with you...as I age...I am not worrying about bringing as much spirits, if any sometimes...

Mark, summer snowcamping is usually one night stops at different locations....usually on the snowpack, and usually not enough spirits to fuel pewking episodes...

kayak karl
2008-03-23, 14:33
Always hiked with my DAD, he said whiskey is good for the body, sherry for the blood, brandy for a cold and moonshine for aches and pains. interesting emergency kit he had:biggrin: he mixed nothing!
we were at a resturant a week or 2 ago. he ordered a double shot of whiskey. they said no shots at tables. so he ordered a whiskey and water on ice, hold the ice, hold the water. HE GOT IT. gotta love im, over 80 and still ticking:biggrin: