PDA

View Full Version : Nifty Infrared Thermometer

Jonas4321
2007-03-05, 00:23
I always have a little EMS thermometer clipped to my backpack, but often wanted a little more of a temperature "gizmo". Being a hammocker, I am often interested in what the temperature of things is (are?).

I was surfing the Harbor Freight Tools (www.harborfreight.com) website this morning, and there was a "Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer" for $6.99. If you take a printout of the page to the store, you'll get the web price. For some reason, if you add one to your online basket, it does so at $9.99. I took the web page printout to the store and they honored the $6.99 price.

It's a little (about 1.5" long) keychain-sized plastic-bodied infrared digital thermometer with a couple of cool features. It's got a clock and a stopwatch, and when you are not using it to measure the surface temp of something, it "turns off" and becomes an ambient digital thermometer. Comes with a short lanyard.

It seems pretty accurate in general (I've only been playing with it for a few hours). Here are the specs (all temps are in Fahrenheit, though it is settable for either F or C readings).

- Operating temp range: 14 to 122 degrees
- Measurement Temp range: -27 to 230 degrees
- Accuracy: +/- 2% or +/- 4 degrees (it DOES state that it's not for food safety or medical use)
- Battery life: 40 hours of use (enters ambient temp "off" mode after 15 seconds)
- Uses a CR2032 lithium battery (included)

It has a 1:1 field of view, so the measurement is being taken across a 1m area at 1m distance.

It has MIN, MAX and LOCK modes (keeping the Measure button pressed while MIN is set will cause it to display the lowest temp measured while the button is pressed; the opposite happens with MAX set). LOCK will lock it in the Measure mode continuously (it shuts off after 60 minutes). It has a little metal flip-out stand but I removed that as it was almost as useless as it was annoying.

It's not waterproof or anything, but hey, it was 7 bucks.

Jonas

Just Jeff
2007-03-05, 00:52
That's a great gadget for 7 bucks! I'm surprised how expensive digital thermometers are that store min/max and such.

Measuring surface temps would be especially handy for hammocking, too - measure the hammock body just under your kidneys in various conditions. Can you touch it to the material and get a reading or does it have to read from a distance?

Jonas4321
2007-03-05, 03:29
Measuring surface temps would be especially handy for hammocking, too - measure the hammock body just under your kidneys in various conditions. Can you touch it to the material and get a reading or does it have to read from a distance?

It measures via infrared, and the emitter is recessed about 1/4 inch back in a cone at the end, so the body could be touching when you measure, no problem. It does not measure via contact.

Lanthar
2007-03-06, 14:40
Cool... nice find... I wish the nearest HFT wasn't an hour away...

sailingsoul
2007-03-06, 22:27
I got that item sent to me, via us mail. Thought it would come in handy for ac/ refrigeration work. Works well , very small and light. Same size as a car alarm key fob. Very cool. Displays time, after time out. SS :captain: