PDA

View Full Version : Fibra Fex Tent Poles

pure_mahem
2007-03-18, 02:59
I've been surfing the wonderful yahoo information portal for the last eight hours :cguru: and came across these new carbon fiber replacement tent poles which use no metal feral connectors just caps on the ends. These poles are suppose to give a 35-45% weight reduction over standard alluminum and fiberglass poles. Has anyone here used these? :help:

Or even more so just because I can see the similarities :stupido2: has anyone experimented with a possible MYOG using carbon weave arrow shafts? These poles cost around 90 & up and comparitivly a hundred plus just starting with the purchase of some carbon weave arrow shafts.

The fibraplex website www.fibraplex.com (http://www.fibraplex.com) lists these poles as rolled carbon fiber with a top coat, I know that on the archery side, carbon weave arrows are much stronger than the plaine carbon rolled arrows at the same weight.

I guess i'm just trying to figure out if this is something someone else has tried or if I got an original idea here.:hmmmm2: Who knows the carbon weave arrow shafts might be to rigid and not have the flex like the rolled carbon shafts they are using. I'm just trying to get some info here before I go nuts and spend a hundred plus, I'm really hoping to learn from some one elses' experiences here. :stickyman

Then again maybe I should be on my way to the freakin pattent office right now.:driver:

I pulled a couple pics of there sight but I don't know how to post them :banghead: so here's there link again so you can investigate for yourself :hmmmm: www.fibraplex.com (http://www.fibraplex.com):fight:

But as you can tell I did figure out the smilies!:arty:

Take-a-knee
2007-03-18, 09:28
I've seen a video of carbon arrow shafts being shot into a concrete block with no ill effect to the shaft, they are much stronger than they originally were. If you need straight poles for something like a shire's tarp tent, I'm sure they'll work fine, if you need something to assume a bent shape, I don't think they'll work. The arrow shafts can be cut with a fine tooth carbide blade on an electric miter saw...go slow. If you do use the shafts, pick one with a heavy spine, like for an 80# bow.

deadeye
2007-03-18, 17:34
I've also considered using carbon fiber golf club shafts, but it turns out jsut as cheap and easy to buy ready-made CF hiking sticks

dropkick
2007-03-19, 02:03
Quite a while back I saw some reasonably priced carbon shafts for sale at a kite making site. I thought I saved the address, but I can't find it anymore.
--I didn't have any use for them, but thought "maybe later".

I suggest you do a search on kite making.

Lanthar
2007-03-19, 14:56
Quite a while back I saw some reasonably priced carbon shafts for sale at a kite making site. I thought I saved the address, but I can't find it anymore.
--I didn't have any use for them, but thought "maybe later".

I suggest you do a search on kite making.

Into the Wind, maybe? The stock some nice high tensile kite cord (spectra), and soft structure tyvek.

Kitemaking and Repair Supplies (http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking)

Oh, and there's more line if you step back a page or two in the catalog.