PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and tick prevention on the trail

SowthEfrikan
2007-03-18, 10:38
We don't usually hike with our dogs, but have found a pet-friendly area where we plan to take them and see how they do. One small snag: the area is riddled with ticks. Any suggestions on tick prevention for pets?

Iceman
2007-03-18, 11:47
We have very few ticks in Western Washington. The only bloodsuckers are the democrats trying to raise my taxes.

Like with other pests, they are seasonal (ticks). I dont think winter kills them, cause we see them on deer in the fall, but I would research when you are most likely to encounter them and avoid taking the dog this time of year. I would give a once a month topical and also carry a spray. I believe they make a collar specific for ticks, Preventick or something like that...

Take-a-knee
2007-03-18, 12:19
Flours of sulpher, you can buy it by the pound in a large pharmacy. For my personal use I mix it 50/50 with baby powder, this makes it smell a little better and probably stay on my clothing better. If you do use the baby powder, you can buy several small bottles, pry the lids off, dump it into a bowl, add an equal amount of sulpher, mix well, and pour it back into the shaker bottles. This was taught to me by a SOTIC (sniper school) instructor twenty years ago. Guys in the class that didn't so prepare got wrapped up with ticks, those who did got none. We spent a week slithering along the ground in North Carolina in May.

Apparantly, sulpher works to repel most eight-legged pests, Chig-away (for Chiggers) is a sulpher based product.

GGS
2007-03-18, 23:14
Sowthefrikan,

I would look into K9 Advantix. It repels and kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. http://www.k9advantix.com/. You apply it by placing a few drops between the shoulder blades and down the spine, the dog's normal movement works the liquid down the skin. Works for 30 days.

FrontLine makes a similar product, http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/.

I believe both can be purchased through your vet.

For the record, I have used the older K9 Advantage for fleas for years and it works fabulous. Last year was the first year I switched to the newer Advantix to combat mosquitoes and ticks, and I did it late in the hiking season so I don't have first hand experience on how well it does against mosquitoes and ticks. But if it works as well there as it does against fleas it will be fabulous.

My plan this year is Advantix starting as soon as the weather warms up, and then talking to my vet about a cream or spray repellant to apply to the ears, top of the head, and top of nose where the deer flies like to bite.

dropkick
2007-03-19, 23:23
In either case I would go over the dog every night, paying special attention to the nether regions and the "arm pits". (ticks seem to like these areas)

I trained my dog from a young age not to get upset when I ran my hand over her private areas for just this reason.

If you do this quite often you knock the ticks off before they start to burrow.

TeeDee
2007-03-20, 18:33
Flours of sulpher, you can buy it by the pound in a large pharmacy. For my personal use I mix it 50/50 with baby powder, this makes it smell a little better and probably stay on my clothing better. If you do use the baby powder, you can buy several small bottles, pry the lids off, dump it into a bowl, add an equal amount of sulpher, mix well, and pour it back into the shaker bottles. This was taught to me by a SOTIC (sniper school) instructor twenty years ago. Guys in the class that didn't so prepare got wrapped up with ticks, those who did got none. We spent a week slithering along the ground in North Carolina in May.

Apparantly, sulpher works to repel most eight-legged pests, Chig-away (for Chiggers) is a sulpher based product.

TaK - never heard of this and like it. I assume you just use the shaker bottle and sprinkle, liberally, the mixture all over your clothes while wearing. Or maybe before putting them on? Do you reapply daily? Sounds like the sulfur may also help with any minor scratches?

Take-a-knee
2007-03-21, 00:01
TeeDee, yes, sprinkle the clothing before you don it. When we knew we were doing a stalk in the piney woods where the ticks were the worst, we would sprinkle out t-shirts and booney caps and liberally sprinkle our ghillie suits before we donned them. I grew up coon hunting and I remember hearing about dog owners doing this to their coon dogs before a hunt so it's been around for awhile. I will be doing this for turkey season as always, it blows for deer hunting
'cause that is exactly what you'll hear when a whitetail winds that sulpher stench and can't see you yet, that "I'm about to leave for the next county snort".

SowthEfrikan
2007-03-23, 18:44
We're back and it was a great success - we went the sulphur route. :adore:

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-27, 10:56
How much did the sulphur cost you and what size was it? Did it stink or sting on your skin?

Gun Plumber
2007-05-14, 16:09
Sulphur? Now I know why we armourers had to stay up wind of the sniper team. I personally never induldged, but what I have used with success for mosquitos and blackflies up here in Canada is carbolic soap. Shower with it for a week before you out and they don't like how you taste. Tics are new up here and I wonder has anyone had success with carbolic soap used against them?

Take-a-knee
2007-05-14, 19:37
What the heck is carbolic soap? That is a new one. Does it have a brand name?

Take-a-knee
2007-05-14, 19:38
Rhino, the sulpher doesn't sting me, it does smell, that's why we mixed it with baby powder. I remember it being a few dollars for a pound.

walkingbear
2012-09-10, 22:53
I do what GGS says. Which reminds me I need to get more!!