PDA

View Full Version : Will I fit in this sleeping bag?

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-19, 17:27
I'm 6'4" 290lbs and wanted to know if I would fit in this bag since I haven't see on in person only online. Also, it is a good bag or is there something better?

Product Description
U.S. Mil.-style ECWS 3-in-1 Sleeping System is super WARM. 3 comfy layers! Patterned after the famous U.S. Mil. ECWS (Extreme Cold Weather System). Use each alone or snap 'em together. 1. Outer Shell Bivy Bag: Waterproof, taped and breathable material; Fully encloses your body with Velcro closure at top; Hooded Woodland camo. 2. Patrol Sleeping Bag: 1 1/2 lbs. polyester fiber; 210T rip-stop fabric with a water-resistant coating; Large nylon zipper and baffle; Drawstring-close hood; Measures 81 x 34 x 24"; Comfort rated 30-50F; Olive Drab. 3. Intermediate Sleeping Bag: Can be used with one or both of the other Bags; Drawstring hood; 2 1/2 lbs. of polyester fiberfill; Collar baffle; Super tough 210T rip-stop fabric; Measures 79 x 31 x 20"; Black. All 3 Bags together earn a -10 degrees F comfort rating. Included compression sack secures all 3 Bags. Order ONLINE right away. ECWS 3-in-1 Mil.-style Sleeping System

dropkick
2007-03-19, 23:11
From the description it should fit you.
Do they offer any form of guarantee, just in case?

Iceman
2007-03-19, 23:22
My guess is no, no you will not fit the bag, unless you really bend the knees... You are 76" tall? Bag is 79-81 long. Good winter bags should extend over the head quite a bit. I would look for a "long" bag. Something like 84 to 92 inches long.

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-20, 10:28
My guess is no, no you will not fit the bag, unless you really bend the knees... You are 76" tall? Bag is 79-81 long. Good winter bags should extend over the head quite a bit. I would look for a "long" bag. Something like 84 to 92 inches long.

Hmm, that is what I thought. It's a military surplus bag, so once size fits all lol. However, I like the bag in a bag idea so I have something for year round use. The surplus bag is only $100 and I really didn't want to get into spending the money on 2 bags fall/spring and summer.

Bear
2007-03-20, 11:02
Rhrino, It is hard to say if this bag will fit you for sure or not. If it does, another question is what will you use it for? Camping out of a car or backpacking? If backpacking and you need a bag that is rated for that low of a temperature, a down bag may be a better choise. The bag listed appears to have a fill weight of 4 pounds but I would be willing to bet that is not the total weight. I would guess the total weight to be around 6 to 7 pounds. A down bag with the same temperature rating will weigh less than 5 pounds. The biggest problem with down is that you can not get it wet. If it gets wet it looses its insulation properties and at those temperatures it could be serious. If you will not be carrying that bag around in a backpack, it may be fine for your needs. Just make sure you can return it if it does not fit you properly.
You maybe able to call a sales rep and get a little more info about the girth of the bag to see if it will fit around your shoulders.
Good luck

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-20, 13:40
Let me divert for a second and ask another question. If I bought a down bag rated for 10-20 or so, can I still use it in warmer temps (40-80) and just leave it open or sleep on top if needed, or do most of you guys have several bags depending on the temp you're out in?

Bear
2007-03-20, 14:19
I have a number of bags but I have been camping for years and have collected them over the years. Mostly on sale.
-10 degree winter bag I got when my son was in the Boy Scouts (Cabela's)
0 degree bag I caught on sale at Wal Mart for next to nothing
20 degree bag I use for backpacking because of light weight (also on sale at SierraTradingPost.com) great site for dicount items
40 degree bag I usually leave on my bed at my hunting camp
fleece zip up bags for summer
None of these bags are down. The draw back I have with down is that when you wash it it takes forever to dry and if it gets wet while you are using it you are in trouble.
To answer your original question, if backpacking, I would invest in another light weight bag for summer to drop the weight you are carrying vs the 10-20 degree bag. That is just my personal preference and I learned the hard way on my first backpacking trip. Ounces add up to pounds, especially up hill!

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-20, 14:30
To answer your original question, if backpacking, I would invest in another light weight bag for summer to drop the weight you are carrying vs the 10-20 degree bag. That is just my personal preference and I learned the hard way on my first backpacking trip. Ounces add up to pounds, especially up hill!

I guess this is where I'm naive. I can squat 400lbs, so I don't see the issue with having an additional 6lbs on my pack, but I'm not a real experienced hiker, and do more day hunting/trapping stints. It might be worth a trip to wally world to look at sacks, but Im huge, so I dont usually find anything.

What do you think about this (http://moontrail.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html) the 9DLX to toss under my hammock and sleep on with a good sack?

Bear
2007-03-20, 16:29
It is not about much you can squat but about how many times you can do it with your pack on. If you are going to hike less than 5 miles over only hilly country you will probably be OK with the extra weight. If you are going to travel 10 to 20 miles over hilly country and mountains, ounces feel like pounds and pounds tons!

About the mat, I can not say how this will work in a hammock as I am not a hammock hanger. Yet. I still use a tent but I do have a mat similar to the one in your link. It is a Big Agnes and is about 23oz. It is not down but is insulated and you blow it up with about 12 big breaths. It may be 3 times heavier than most packers use but after a 15 to 20 mile day on the trail it sure feels good under these old bones.:biggrin:

There is one similar to the one I have for a lot less at Sierra Trading Post. I had a link but it disappeared. I can see I am going to have to play with this while not really writing to see how everything works. I hate computers!!

I am sure someone that reads this can advise you about the mat with a hammock.

Iceman
2007-03-20, 23:28
Rhino, I agree with Bear. Having multiple bags is a better plan. IMHO, there is no good "one bag for all conditions....." In summer, we hardly need a bag. Spring we do, fall we want a warmer bag, and winter camping the thick ones. Our winter camping is by sled, so weight is no factor. I also agree with http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ as a great spot to pick up discount stuff. I have bought from them on many occassions, and am always happy with my order....

Take-a-knee
2007-03-20, 23:51
Rhino, that bag might fit you but it would probably be snug, I'm 5'8" and that bag is huge on me but I don't think it would fit a man your size. The green outer bag probably would fit you because it is cut as an outer bag (to fit over the black bag) but I think the inner black bag would be too snug. The camo goretex cover is a nice piece of gear but it, like the rest of the system, is heavy (7# total) and, more importantly for a hiker, it is bulky. The workmanship on some of the bags, the green outer bag most especially, is poor, I've seen them fall apart in a few months use. If you want this thing for a cold weather hunting camp or to keep in a truck in the winter, and you can get it cheap (150$ or less) go for it. I would reccomend the Wiggy's FTRSS system if you want a synthetic bag.

Woods Walker
2007-03-21, 00:58
I have a MSS.

Here is the green and black bag. Sorry about the photo, It was taken with my cell phone.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/cellphoner.jpg

I am 6-1 250 and have tons of room inside the original MSS. But something about the size of that knock off bags makes me think it is just not right. My bags are larger than 79 and 81 inches long. Or at least they seem that way.

dropkick
2007-03-21, 01:00
:banghead: OOWWW!

Sorry for my bad advice (Thanks for the save Iceman).

Somehow When I calculated in my head I had you at 66 inches tall instead of 76 inches (makes me feel even dumber when I see it written down).

I think my addition worked something like this:
"5 feet is 60 inches, plus 12 makes 72. And he's how many inches over 6 feet is he? ........ 4 inches, now where was I... oh yah, 62 plus 4 equals 66, plenty of room."

Bear
2007-03-21, 06:43
Hey dropkick, I wish I had a dollar for every dumb thing I said, did, or wrote. I'd be retired and on the trail right now instead of at work at 3:40 in the morning. Plus, my stupidity is compounded at these hours!

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-21, 12:20
I have a friend in the AF and she said she was going to bring me a bag to try out. She said that a lot of guys use them that are taller then me, so maybe they issue them in multiple sizes.

Thanks for the links too, I'll see where they take me. I went to REI and Dicks yesterday and I couldn't even zip up their biggest bags. I'm not even fat either, I have a damn 36 waist, I'm just all chest/shoulder/arms.

I think that finding a good bag is going to suck ass and be expensive since I'll probably need to stitch two together lol.

Take-a-knee
2007-03-21, 12:36
Rhino, contact Wiggy's, they will make you a sleeping bag to fit you.

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-21, 17:15
Rhino, contact Wiggy's, they will make you a sleeping bag to fit you.

I'd hate to see what that will cost.

Woods Walker
2007-03-21, 21:47
Rhino.

Most long sized bags should fit you. I don't have a 32-inch waist but bench press 400 and squat 500. Leg press twenty-six 45 lbs plates. Powerlifting is my goal. Clearly bodybuilding is what you seem to be doing but the same stuff applies I don't fit in ANY regular sized bags but the long size bags tend to be just fine. Look at the north face cat's meow. Here is a very large cheaper bag that I use all the time

I am the guy in the green liner. Far from thin but nothing fits me. That liner is an XXL long.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/ecr.jpg

I hear your cry. When I put on shirts the sleeves don't fit because the shoulders pull them up too far. It is the price we pay. But trust me on this. Long sized bags will work. The standard Mil ECWS can be had new on EBAY for cheap. It fit me with tons of room

Tell you what. Here is one of the largest bags on the market.

http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com/products/30002.htm

It is a 10 degree bag selling for 66 bucks. Look at the size:

Oversized Bag--Super Comfort!

Color: Purple
Length: 94"
Shoulder: 35"
Foot: 23"
Fill Weight: 3.5 lbs
Bag Weight: 4.6 lbs
Pack Size: 10" x 16"

For 66 bucks this bag is a great deal. Only problem is that the zipper can snag sometimes on the bag. But it is a YKK zipper and it comes free fast. Here is mine.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/parainsidesmall.jpg

It is the biggest bag I have ever used.

MalTheElder
2007-03-22, 11:04
Have you thought about rolling your own bags? If you sew, or have a friend who does, you might want to consider making yourself a custom bag or quilt set. Using a synthetic fill such as Polarguard or Primaloft you should be able to make a good, warm and reasonably lightweight sack for a reasonable price. There are beaucoup plans on the Net you can upsize for your needs.

Good luck,
Mal/Half Step

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-22, 11:26
It is a 10 degree bag selling for 66 bucks. Look at the size:

Oversized Bag--Super Comfort!

Color: Purple
Length: 94"
Shoulder: 35"
Foot: 23"
Fill Weight: 3.5 lbs
Bag Weight: 4.6 lbs
Pack Size: 10" x 16"

For 66 bucks this bag is a great deal. Only problem is that the zipper can snag sometimes on the bag. But it is a YKK zipper and it comes free fast. Here is mine.

Hmm, bag sounds nice, color seems a little fruity though. But for 66 bucks that is good, I'm going to order one.

What kind of fill it is? How does it like getting wet?

Woods Walker
2007-03-22, 23:20
Yea the color is a bit odd but seems less so over time.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/smallstovewashers.jpg

This is what the company says about the fill.

"Black Pine's Hyper-Loft Microfiber which feels and acts like down, and keeps you warm even when wet"

It does feel nice and fluffy. I would not say fluffy like my 800 power down bags but very good. It does work well when wet.

Edit.

I was looking at overstock.com. They have the bag for 64 bucks. Also this backside zero degree bag looked big at 94 inches and cheap at 99 bucks.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=2298015&IID=prod2298015

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-23, 11:07
I bought one yesterday Woods Walker thanks for the info on it. I also order a great Medium Black Closed Cell Foam 3/4" x 57" x 82" and will trim it to fit my hammock. It rolls up to 12" and is not very heavy. Thing cost me only $40 with free shipping.

I'll let ya know how I like it when I try it out.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-02, 17:28
Man, those assholes at http://www.seriousoutdoorgear.com ripped me off and aren't gonna send me the bag. Fuckers. They won't get back to me about anything and deny the sale, even though the took payment from my MC.

Woods Walker
2007-04-02, 22:16
Call your credit card company. They will issue you a charge back if you didn't get your goods. It takes about 30 days but they will take the money right out of their account and give it back to you.

Iceman
2007-04-02, 23:35
Explain more, you have my interest! How did you get skrued?

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-03, 10:39
I haven't received the bag, and I've e-mailed them 6 or 7 times over the last week trying to find out what is going on, they haven't replied at all. BASTAGES! I hope rabid gophers gnaw off their peckers!!