PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen these pads before?

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-22, 17:07
http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/Soft....htm?E+scstore

How compact do you think the CC005 Brownish-Gray Medium - 1 1/2 " Thick x 48 " x 82 " will wrap up? I can cut this puppy to fit the hammock and stuff it in a bag liner and be golden. What about some of the other pads here? I'm looking for something to put under an SPE and then stuff an SPE with one more pad, but if this 1 1/2 inch guy can do the job by itself?

I called the company and asked how much this thing will roll up to and what the dimensions will be, they'll get back to me tomorrow.

Take-a-knee
2007-03-22, 20:51
Your link didn't work but I'll bet the thing would be huge.

Frolicking Dino
2007-03-22, 22:01
Try this link: http://knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/closedcellfoam/closedcellfoam.htm?E+scstore

Take-a-knee
2007-03-22, 22:56
Thanks for that link, I think I'll order the five-eights, that should take me down to 40 F. It'll be a fairly large roll, but it'll carry well lengthwise on the back of my pack. I have the quarter-in pad from Oware trimmed like a coffin to fit the hammock and it works well down to below fifty, that 5/8th might take me down to freezing.

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-22, 23:59
Thanks for that link, I think I'll order the five-eights, that should take me down to 40 F. It'll be a fairly large roll, but it'll carry well lengthwise on the back of my pack. I have the quarter-in pad from Oware trimmed like a coffin to fit the hammock and it works well down to below fifty, that 5/8th might take me down to freezing.
I have a CCF pad that I cut coffin shaped down to 26"x 72" and it's about 5/8". With my +20f bag it's good to frost level temps (28-32f). Rolls to about 8" dia on the back of my pack. Not much weight but as Take-a-knee mentions: bulky. And since it's not in a pocket in the HH, it wants to wrap around you when you un-roll it at the end of the day.

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-23, 11:09
I just got off the phone with them. They are all out of the 1.5" stuff, but the 3/4 inch rolls up to about a 12" diameter. I just ordered it. I got the Medium Black Closed Cell Foam 3/4" x 57" x 82" and will trim it to fit my hammock. I'm going to get a 4x4 SPE to with a 1/2" mid section. I figure I can use one or the other or both if I want to camp at 0 kelvin lol.

I'll let ya know how I like it when I try it out.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-05, 11:12
Got my 3/4" 57X82 ccfp today and it is a whopper. The material is real nice, firm but flexible. The whole pad weighs 11lbs, but I intend to put it up quite a bit, but I'm not sure how yet. I'm thinking about cutting a 37x82 piece and then fitting that into the hammock and trimming it for fit and support, it will probably end up looking like a mummy sleeping bag profile. I'll use the rest to stuff in my SPE and see how that feels. I'll try them separate and together in my CJH NA.

I did sleep on the pad on my floor last night and it held heat like crazy, thought it was going to cook me. The insulation properties on this foam are great, your hand gets warm just holding it lol.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-06, 15:33
Ok, cut the pads up a bit and I still have some fine tuning to do (pardone the appearnace of my basement).

The first pic is a 36x82 piece that I don't think I'll use right now, the second pic is an SPE with a 20x82 piece in there that I eventually trimmed down on the feet area. The rest of the pics are various.

I laid in it outside for about an hour in 46 degree weather and I sweat my buns off. It's gonna be about 15 degrees tonight, lets see what happens

If I don't post tomorrow, then I froze to death.

GGS
2007-04-06, 15:56
Rhino, did you use duct tape on that or is that some fabric construction I see?

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-06, 16:13
Rhino, did you use duct tape on that or is that some fabric construction I see?

The pic with the wings? That is an SPE 4x4.

There is also a box fort made of duct tape in the corner of the pic too lol.

Lanthar
2007-04-06, 16:29
I laid in it outside for about an hour in 46 degree weather and I sweat my buns off. It's gonna be about 15 degrees tonight, lets see what happens

I presume that's Deg F? How much does it weight cut down, now? (I realize you are still working on it, but do you have a guess)?

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-06, 20:15
I presume that's Deg F? How much does it weight cut down, now? (I realize you are still working on it, but do you have a guess)?

Between 2 and 3 lbs. It will be 15 degrees F tonight and I'm going to sleep in it. I have a 40 degree bag and a blanket. I'm depending on the pad to save me and the zip lock bags in the hammock belly.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-07, 10:35
Well, I think I need to mess around with that Clark a bit more. It just doesn’t seem to either be set up right, or it isn’t quite for me, but I’ll get into that a little later.

So last night it made it down to about 17 Fahrenheit. I went to bed around 10:30 p.m. when it was in the mid-20s. Because the rain fly sits so low to the hammock and I haven’t moved it, or don’t know how to move it, or maybe it can’t be moved, it was a pain in the ass to get in, get my boots off and stuffed in the pouches, and fiddle around comfortably with the pad and sleeping bag.

I slept in a pair of heavy socks, regular sweatpants, in a very thin fleece shirt with a white cotton T-shirt underneath. I also had with me my 25 bag, not the 40 bag I had initially planned on using, that one was just really really really small for me.

So after 10 minutes of floundering around and getting comfortable in the hammock, getting everything zipped up, and stuffing my big monster feet in the bag that I used like a quilt and my north face jacket as a pillow I settled down to try to get some zz’s. I noticed after getting comfortable I had built up a decent sweat and as I laid there for a while I was getting hotter. So I cracked open the exterior weather guard thing and laid like that for a while as I cooled off. After I got comfortable and didn’t like the breeze on my face because it was probably now around 20 Fahrenheit give or take, I closed the vent, and tried to get some sleep. I probably woke up a few times during the night just trying to get comfortable, and I am a pretty crappy sleeper, but I stayed very warm outside of a few times when my big lumbering body pushed the pad aside and I was sleeping right against the no—see—um. I woke up about 3 a.m. from some very close coyote howls and figured that was my cue to go take a pee.

As I opened the no—see—um net, and then the outside storm guard thing, I had noticed that a lot of condensation built up on the rain fly and started dripping down as I wiggled around in the hammock. Maybe this was because rain fly was so close and is attached directly to the Hammock at the ridge line, I don’t know but it was annoying.

So after coming back from in the house, trying to get back in the hammock again was a pain in the ass. I actually removed part of the rain fly from where my head was, so that I could get in easier. This time I just left my boots on the ground outside and fumbled to get settled in the hammock again. The pad held up pretty well, it didn’t slip around that much however it was difficult to move around. It also didn’t make me pool sweat or get wet itself even though I was relatively warm all night. So now it was 17 Fahrenheit and I was trying to get comfortable again, it was actually harder to get in the bag and get squared away than it was at the beginning of the night. I fiddled with the pads on the side of the SPE and they seemed okay, but I noticed during the night that I must’ve somehow slid down the pad because I always had head room but never foot room.

Now I have this annoying draft on my face, and I think it was because I pulled the rain fly up a way from the hammock and it was just some air getting in somehow. It was irritating, and because it was so hard to move around inside the hammock I simply couldn’t find where it’s coming from. The Clark’s has a lot of zippers and stuff that come together on the head and maybe something got discombobulated. At any rate I got tired of searching for it wrapped my North face around my head and went back to sleep.

Overall with the pad ” at 20 inches by maybe 76 inches tapered and stuffed in the SPE with a half-inch Ridge rest pad cut into eight pieces at 5 inches by 20 inches, and using my 25 bag, and dressed like I might be dressed to sleep in a house, I stayed warm to what I can tell was a low of around 17 or maybe a tad below that.

When I woke up the underside of my rain fly was pretty frozen I assume from my condensation, and that I was a little sweaty. Also the hammock itself was a little wet on the inside but I’m not sure if that was from water dripping from the rain fly onto the hammock or what, I’ll still have to play around with that. It is going to be even colder tonight, so I’ll try it again. I think I’m going to remove the rain fly to tie it differently if I can so that it’s a foot or so above the hammock instead of attached to it at the Ridgeline.

When I went to put my boots on, I could only find one, the other one was about 30 feet away. I think the coyote's had some fun at my expense in the early part of the morning.

Iceman
2007-04-08, 15:27
Rhino, google; Evapoventicondenrespiperspitransporation, you may want to read about this. Can't help you on the coyote thingy....

Just Jeff
2007-04-08, 15:58
Yeah - I was gonna bring that up but I don't know enough to offer any expertise. Convective heat transfer is one thing..but evapoventicondenrespiperspitransporation? No help here.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-08, 21:42
Rhino, google; Evapoventicondenrespiperspitransporation, you may want to read about this. Can't help you on the coyote thingy....

Read my post here, I made the major leagues.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2133