PDA

View Full Version : Flint Restore

oops56
2007-03-25, 11:42
how do i use these flint pliers to put a new edge on flint do i twist or go up & down

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_flintknap.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/flintknap.jpg)

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-25, 15:13
I've never used those flint pliers, Oops, but I'd think you'd just use them to break the edge off the flint: as you say:" up and down". Traditionally one would use percussion (striking) or pressure (pressing) to knap a flint to a sharp edge.
You should talk to a flintlock muzzleloader.
Guess I should too.

oops56
2007-03-25, 17:07
Good idea i ask hey oops56 your flitlock rifle how do you fix the flint. Oh i just move it right or left or a new one .:ahhhhh: :ahhhhh:

peter_pan
2007-03-25, 20:14
how do i use these flint pliers to put a new edge on flint do i twist or go up & down

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_flintknap.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/flintknap.jpg)

The items shown are strikers not pliers...The flint actually gouges out a sliver of the striker at about 2500*, which is the spark.

If you need a gun flint re-shapped you can mail it to me with a return envelop and I'll be glad to re-edge it... I'm a professional flint knapper...

Send a PM if interested.

Pan

oops56
2007-03-25, 20:23
If you look the pliers are in the middle i got all the flint that i need till i die just like to try it on my flint strike just say a can do it thanks

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_pliers.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/pliers.jpg)

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-25, 22:54
Oops,
I can't believe you modern day rocklockers don't knap your own flints. That's the only reason the furtraders didn't buy into percussion locks in the 1830's was they would be-holden to the company for their fire, and caps get rusty after a year or so.
On the other hand, here in Colorado, we got lots of granite and sandstone, silver and gold; flint? not so much.

dropkick
2007-03-25, 23:43
Oops,
On the other hand, here in Colorado, we got lots of granite and sandstone, silver and gold; flint? not so much.

If your using the flint to start a fire you can use quartz instead, or actually almost any hard rock you can break and get a sharp edge.
I've even seen the bottom of a coke bottle used.

oops56
2007-03-26, 01:03
Well i be dam even in the old days it boils down to money. [ oops gold coins } Dont anybody trade any more??:bike:

atraildreamer
2007-03-26, 14:52

I recommend signing up at: www.bushcraftuk.com

Check out the articles section. The stuff they do there, although not particularly for the lightweight backpacker, is amazing! If they don't have an article about flint, a query there will probably get get you a lot of info.

Also, www.britishblades.com for knifemaking info.

peter_pan
2007-03-26, 18:42
Real men don't need the pliers at all.... Put the flint in the palm of your hand after first putting a piece of brain tanned buckskin in the same palm... get an antler tine... determine where to take the flake ...posn the tine push in and then down with force a snap. Flake off....piece of cake.

Of course knowing where to posn the tine is the key....

Pan

oops56
2007-03-26, 19:44
Well all this is nice but in my shoes don't hunt not got antler tine no got brain skin so we use the plies or just hit with a rock also i got about 2 lb. of flint that should last till my dieing days and 10 boxes of strike anwere matchs :beer: :beer:

Mutinousdoug
2007-03-26, 22:42
Dropkick,
while I can make sparks pretty regularly with the junk in the bluff behind me (I'm about a mile from a creek bottom) I can't control the flakes that come off the granite and chert (or whatever it is). Some if it breaks off in fist sized chunks and others into fingernail sized pieces. Most all of it sparks but I couldn't predict what would turn into flints for a flintlock cock. Some of the rock looks like it would polish up into a clear crystal but most looks (and acts) like it is fractured all through.
When I was campin in Utah canyonlands I saw some blood or rust colored rock that broke like glass. That's what I considered to be flint. Didn't try to make fire with it though...too uneducated.

Peter Pan,
How do you select rocks to knap?

Bear
2007-03-27, 06:59
oops,
Here is a website that may be usefull. It mainly shows how to knapp flint for knives and arrow heads but does show a lot of different tools that are used in the process.

wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/flintknapping/index.html

If you really would like to try with antlers let me know and I will be glad to send you a couple of small tines. You may have to wait a while though as my camp is about 150 miles away and it may be a month or two before I have a chance to get up there. Ain't work a @#!*+
My e-mail address is: alostjc@cox.net

oops56
2007-03-27, 08:19
Bear every thing is ok i got enough flint to last me. thanks for the offer

peter_pan
2007-03-27, 11:11
Dropkick,
while I can make sparks pretty regularly with the junk in the bluff behind me (I'm about a mile from a creek bottom) I can't control the flakes that come off the granite and chert (or whatever it is). Some if it breaks off in fist sized chunks and others into fingernail sized pieces. Most all of it sparks but I couldn't predict what would turn into flints for a flintlock cock. Some of the rock looks like it would polish up into a clear crystal but most looks (and acts) like it is fractured all through.
When I was campin in Utah canyonlands I saw some blood or rust colored rock that broke like glass. That's what I considered to be flint. Didn't try to make fire with it though...too uneducated.

Peter Pan,
How do you select rocks to knap?

There are about 15 different rocks in North America that will knapp well.... Obsidian is on one end of the scale, easiest to break, sharpest edge ( in fact I made an obsidian blade for my Urologist to open me for prostate removal, couple years back), but most fragile.... Quarts and quartsite is on the other end...hardest to break, roughest edge, but hard to break once formed....calcedone, ryolite, jaspers as well as flints and cherts are all in the middle.... Best all around is flint, with cherts so close as to be virtually in distinguishable in difference....most folk can't tell the difference in these.

To evaluate an unknown rock check for small grain/molecular structure and higher amounts of silica ( translation...it'll look smooth).... then try a percussion fracture to test it.

Pan