PDA

View Full Version : Man Vs. Wild and his canteen

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-25, 11:56
Has anyone ever seen that show? Anyway, he as this canteen that is made of some type of metal and has the part with the cap, but somehow converts to a cup that you can boil water in and stuff. Does anyone know what this is or where to get one?

oops56
2007-03-25, 12:13
Yep i got one cant remember the name of it got mine of e bay [ big help ain't i ]

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-25, 12:17
Go look at it!

oops56
2007-03-25, 12:23
here is one just look up canteen e day
http://cgi.ebay.com/vietnam-1966-canteen-with-cover_W0QQitemZ150104106389QQcategoryZ36062QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

oops56
2007-03-25, 12:27
this one better
http://cgi.ebay.com/CANTEEN-MILITARY-USMC-W-ITH-CUP-STOVE-FUEL-CAMP-HUNT_W0QQitemZ190094299402QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

dropkick
2007-03-26, 00:06
What oops put up the link to we always called a canteen cup.
I've seen Bear Griz (or whatever his name is) use one on his show before. It nests with the canteen.
side note: I watch the show occasionally, but I've seen him do some really dumb things and give some bad advice, so I don't watch it regularly.

Back to what we were talking about:
I used canteen cups for many years in and out of the military.

They are o.k. but heavy and sometimes a little awkward to use.
Also I'm not real fond of the canteens as they have a very small opening (cleaning, filling) and the lids often are hard to open or leak.
I'd rather have a pot that I pack separately, and a different form of water bottle.

If you want a metal canteen with the cup you're also going to have to look hard, as the Army moved to plastic sometime around the Korean War.
-Though you might find a knock-off or similar model that was used by some European army (Swiss? Soviet?)

KLeth
2007-03-26, 01:50
Danish army used metal canteens until about 20 years ago.
Just a little blow to the threadding while the lid was on and it got really problematic to get a drink of water :ahhhhh:

Plastic canteen and al cup is ok

Jim Henderson
2007-03-27, 13:45
I kinda collect USGI canteens. You can usually find metal canteens at War Surplus stores. I have found several very nice condition ones just shopping around at these kinds of stores. Some mail order outfits have them, like Cheaper than Dirt and SportsmansGuide. Both have web sites.

The metal cups and canteens come in different styles so make sure the set fits together especially if they are not US made.

The USGI metal canteens have small spouts but can be cleaned with a bottle brush. It is very important that you sanitize these canteens and dry them thoroughly. It happened only once in almost 40 years of use, but I did once get some serious stomach problems for 2 weeks by not thoroughly cleaning these canteens.

The metal canteens have an advantage as far as sterilization. You can boil them or what I do is put them in an oven at about 200 degrees to dry them out. Alternatively you can put some rubbing alcohol in them and swish them around and cap them until your next trip, then rinse thoroughly. I would guess chlorine bleach would work but could have nasty taste later.

Some of the foreign metal canteens have wide mouths and are easier to clean and you can put ice cubes in them. I like the Portuguese models, but it looks like the design is common in Europe. Wide mouth, more rounded than USGI, kidney shape

The plastic canteens are good too but of course can't handle heat like the metal ones. Soap and water and maybe alchol do the trick for my sons.

Buy yourself some of the canteen corks while you are at it. They help minimize leakage. A word of warning, after a bit of use and drying out they shrink and can fall out when you least expect it, so buy spares.

The canvas canteen holders are handy too. On hot days you can soak them and they will help keep the water a bit cooler thru evaporative cooling, like swamp coolers. Of course you will have a wet thigh or hip where it touches, but worth it for cool water.

Just my experiences,

Jim Henderson

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-27, 15:04
Ok, I bought this one for giggles and maybe it'll be useful.

http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

Pappyhighlife
2007-03-27, 15:13
Rhino
I have seen the British canteens on sale once in a while at the cheaperthandirt.com site I tried the German for a few seasons and I liked it, but there always seemed to be some type of residue in the water I finally stopped using it.
When I was a young chap I remember using my pop's old WWII aluminum canteen had a chain connecting the black cap. Nasty water always had a metallic taste and the seams were (I believe lead)

I still carry my G.I. canteen (Plastic) cup and stove (Aluminum) to boil up coffee or soup on the trail. The cup gets real hot so put a piece of masking tape on the outside of the cup at the lip line.
Good luck

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-27, 16:43
Canteen is plastic I think and there is something metal there lol. I just kind of wanted one.

Amigi
2007-03-28, 16:27
I have watched every episode but cant recall the canteen being referred to. But here is the standard M58 canteen.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category632_1.htm

Cool site all around btw.

I have seen things on every survival show that I have disagreed with, and sometimes felt were downright dangerous. But Bear knows his stuff. I have never flatly thought he was wrong. Now on Survivorman....whole different story.
Just my 2c.

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-28, 17:04
I have watched every episode but cant recall the canteen being referred to. But here is the standard M58 canteen.

http://www.kitbag.com.au/category632_1.htm

Cool site all around btw.

I have seen things on every survival show that I have disagreed with, and sometimes felt were downright dangerous. But Bear knows his stuff. I have never flatly thought he was wrong. Now on Survivorman....whole different story.
Just my 2c.

See I think the reverse, Bear is an idiot. Not bothering to boil water, diving down a waterfall on vines, sliding down a glacier, etc. He is all about shock and awe stuff. Les is about real survival, stay warm, conserve, food, water, etc. Bear is nuts. I've seen him float down white water on a log raft, and he HAD a life vest, so lord knows his film crew is helping out and feeding him. Les is all alone and doing it right, even if it isn't as entertaining.

GGS
2007-03-28, 17:41
Ok, I bought this one for giggles and maybe it'll be useful.

http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

Looks interesting! If you get a chance weigh it and let us know how much it weighs.

tdaward
2007-03-28, 23:24
I didn't notice anyone mention the cooking stand that will work with the canteen cup....we used to burn a nickel sized chunk of C-4 and make our coffee and stuff....With a little work you could fit a alcohol burner or something with it...

Rhino-lfl
2007-03-29, 09:12
I didn't notice anyone mention the cooking stand that will work with the canteen cup....we used to burn a nickel sized chunk of C-4 and make our coffee and stuff....With a little work you could fit a alcohol burner or something with it...

Bear puts his right on the fire, it should be metal.

Pappyhighlife
2007-03-29, 11:35
Yep TD I did mention my Canteen cup and stove comes in real handy on the trail for short breaks without having to dig into the pack. The stove fires up quickly with nesbit tabs and some pinecones boils water in about four minutes. Light as well.

atraildreamer
2007-03-29, 23:30

C-4 !:eek: Will it work in my Goya stove? :ahhhhh: Where can i get some? :dontknow:

oops56
2007-03-30, 01:55
O K you ask for it on the left you put some holes and cut v notch to male the alcohol burn better two rods to hold up cup the one on the right is turn over for a bigger pot all most any alcohol stove will work a penny stove a trangia is better or small twigs

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_crusstove.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/crusstove.jpg)

Woods Walker
2007-03-30, 02:49
I have some of the USGI canteen cups.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/2.jpg

The older ones have a flat handle and the more current cups have the Wire. The flat handle is zinc coated and that can burn off sometimes. Also the handle locking bar can slip resulting in dumping your drink. But the wire handle is a bit harder to use. However I like the Wire better. They are heavy at around 9oz but being stainless they are easier to clean than Al or Ti.

Oh for the record Bear is a joker. I would not do any of the stunts that clown does. Too much risk for little reward.

Streamweaver
2007-03-30, 10:45
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=26330&M5COPY%2Ectx=7329&M5%2Ectx=3007&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Compact%20Stoves%2C%20Fire%20Start ers%2C%20Fuels%2C%20Candles&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=cooking&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

Heres the link for brigade quartermasters,they have the cups and potstands.Potstand is 5 bucks.

Amigi
2007-03-31, 16:32
See I think the reverse, Bear is an idiot. Not bothering to boil water, diving down a waterfall on vines, sliding down a glacier, etc. He is all about shock and awe stuff. Les is about real survival, stay warm, conserve, food, water, etc. Bear is nuts. I've seen him float down white water on a log raft, and he HAD a life vest, so lord knows his film crew is helping out and feeding him. Les is all alone and doing it right, even if it isn't as entertaining.

Oh, I agree with you. Bear is crazy, and a bit dangerous. More of a show for the cant do's than the can's. And Les is much more true to the art, he is alone, more realistic situations, etc. But, most of my time in the woods has been in jungles/rain forests, so that episode Les did just drove me crazy. He woulda been dead the first night if he was further inland. Bear did a similiar episode, and to me, was much more knowledgeable than Les.
I like both shows, but remember Bear's is more about getting out as quick as possible ( the correct way of survival thinking ) than actually hunkering down for a 6 nights like Les does ( BAD!!!! ). The application of knowledge will be different. JMHO.

dropkick
2007-04-01, 01:43
I like both shows, but remember Bear's is more about getting out as quick as possible ( the correct way of survival thinking ) than actually hunkering down for a 6 nights like Les does ( BAD!!!! ). The application of knowledge will be different. JMHO.
Trying to get out on your own only deals with a situation where no one would be looking for you.

One of the first rules in any survival manual is to tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. (I unfortunately break this rule quite often).
The second rule they normally give is to stay in place if injuried or lost (and light a fire, or 3 if possible - universal emergency signal - in groups of 3, fire, gunshots, whistle blasts).

In most survival situations your actually better off hunkering down waiting for rescue, not burning up your limited energy and possibly getting in a worse situation. Plus a moving person is much harder to find than one that sits still.

-The first show I watched with Griz he says "I have to stay warm and I have to watch out for bears". So what does he do?

He sets up his extremely rudimentary shelter next to a river and sleeps directly on top of the river rock - so much for warmth - I knew better than that when I was 4 years old, and also knew how to build a better shelter than he did.

Next he catches some fish and then builds a cook fire right next to his shelter - so much for not attracting bears. Basic bear country rules, don't cook or keep food next to your shelter.

Shortly after this I changed the channel

KLeth
2007-04-01, 03:56
I only follow one survival show, not many being aired here in europe, but enough to seperate the show guys from the survival guys.
The show I watch is the series executed by Ray Mears who also writes some splendid books.
Two of the things I like about the shows are that he is not taking stupid risks
and he is respecting the culture of the people he visits in his shows. The episodes are very calm and there are no adrenaline rush junkies (idiots) on it.
My wife also likes to watch the show.

I have learned serveral skills from the Ray Mears series and books. Some of these skills and ideas we have with success used on our hikes.

Also the "Bush Tucker Man" show were not bad.

Turk
2007-04-01, 11:05
Kudos, Kleth.
I love all Ray Mears films. I believe I have seen everything he has ever pieced together on film. Love his approach to various controversial topics. I enjoy the historical elements despite others finding them quite boring.

I think Ray Mears is so enjoyable because his shows are seldom based on "this is how you survive", "you need to do this". Rather he demonstrates methods used by regular people documented with historical accuracy. I think that is a very fresh take on the whole subject.

My one and only complaint about Ray Mears.... is that I often wish he would slow down and spare a couple more minutes on all the crazy things he builds so that others might get a little more instruction for duplicating. I have tried to make many things I have seen off his various films.

Still can't figure out how he makes the camp chair with the backrest without any type of cordage. Can't get a good look at how the logs are notched so they dont slip.

Awesome guy to watch at any rate.:adore:

atraildreamer
2007-04-28, 14:08
O K you ask for it on the left you put some holes and cut v notch to male the alcohol burn better two rods to hold up cup the one on the right is turn over for a bigger pot all most any alcohol stove will work a penny stove a trangia is better or small twigs

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_crusstove.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/crusstove.jpg)

I count only 7 stoves in that picture...just 7!!!! :argh: Quit goofing off and FILL the house with homemade stoves (and associated debris...scrap aluminum, bottles of dry gas, etc.) Be a TRUE soda can stove fanatic! :biggrin:

sailingsoul
2007-04-28, 18:23
I see 8 !!!!! Can't that zippo lighter be considered a "stove" ???? Plus it's small in over all size, Ultralight, and multable purpose. I used mine to proved light to see. Fire up any type smoke, cig's, pipe, cigar, etc... Fire starter and that cool sound they make when you flip it open and close. Can provide music and entertainment for hours. SS :captain:

ps What a collection!

oops56
2007-04-28, 18:45
You nave not northing yet a got a shed full of stoves wall to wall.For now keep warm
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_alcohol5.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/alcohol5.jpg)

atraildreamer
2007-04-29, 18:19
You nave not northing yet a got a shed full of stoves wall to wall.For now keep warm
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_alcohol5.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/alcohol5.jpg)

You have truly achieved soda can stove experimenters Nirvana : (aka: madness! ) :biggrin:

oops56
2007-04-29, 19:13
Here is three of a kind. left is a primus 71 witch i put on a enders silent burner. Middle primus 70 it a original silent burner. The right one is optimus 8R with a enders silent burner i love my toys. Oh the middle gets ok with pot on it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_threea.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/threea.jpg)

atraildreamer
2007-04-30, 17:34
I have an Optimus 8-R Hunter stove that STILL has fuel in the tank. I also have a quart Sigg fuel bottle full of Amoco unleaded white gas that I used for the stove. (I don't remember haw long ago I filled both of them, but I remember I paid about 11 cents to fill the Sigg bottle {which means the gas in the bottle has appreciated in value about 25 times:dontknow: }).

Questions: Can I fire up the stove and burn off the fuel if no leakage is apparent?

Can I still use the fuel in the Sigg bottle,either in the stove or in my car, after who knows how many years? If not, how do I safely dispose of the fuel?

oldsoldier
2007-04-30, 19:37
The fuel will most likely burn REAL sooty, as I've done the same thing. Another thing that happens with old white gas is that it forms a type of shellac, I believe, that coats everything, like the inside of the bottle, and most likely the inside of the stove. I dont recall how to get rid of it, but, I do remember being told to filter the gas through a cloth, like a bandana, as you pour it from bottle to stove.

Skidsteer
2007-04-30, 20:42
...If not, how do I safely dispose of the fuel?

Got any stumps that need burning?

Iceman
2007-04-30, 23:33
Filter and pour the fuels down your auto's fuel tank. These will mix with your other 20 gallons, and your engine will not know the difference. Better yet, wait until gas is over $4 per gallon this summer, and you will feel better about it.

atraildreamer
2007-05-01, 23:47
Thanks to all for the tips. I'll filter the gas in the stove tank through a couple of coffee filters and see what happens. Maybe I'll donate the Sigg bottle of gas to a museum so people can see what gas used to cost. :laugh:

sailingsoul
2007-05-02, 00:07
Donate it to "oops's collection"

KLeth
2007-05-02, 01:38
Maybe I'll donate the Sigg bottle of gas to a museum so people can see what gas used to cost. :laugh:
Sell it to an art-museum, call it "Cheap gas in a bottle" :aetsch:

sailingsoul
2007-05-03, 01:53
Another thing that happens with old white gas is that it forms a type of shellac, I believe, that coats everything, like the inside of the bottle, and most likely the inside of the stove. I dont recall how to get rid of it, but, I do remember being told to filter the gas through a cloth, like a bandana, as you pour it from bottle to stove.

The shellac your referring to "Oldsoldier" forms when gasoline (any kind) is allowed to evaporate completely. All engines with carburetors have a reservoir of gas which is kept filled to a set level, while running. Fuel injection engines are different. The reservoir holds maybe 1.5 ounce for a car, .5 ounce for a lawnmower or generator. This reservoir is not sealed to the environment but vented. When the engine is not used, this reservoir will begin to evaporate. Given enough time, when all liquids are gone, there will remain a hard deposit in the bottom of the reservoir refered to as shellac or varnish. It is amber in color and hard (thus the names). It can be scraped off. If enough forms it can clog the jets, the engine will run rough or not at all. This doesn't form in the gas tank because it would take much to long for that gas to evaporate completely. "Gums" may form in a tank if the gas is stored, in a vented tank, long enough. It is recommended that a stabilizer be added to any gas that will be stored longer than 3 months. Gasoline is not a specific chemical as acetone and alcohol are. There are something like 8 /10 components blended together into gasoline. These evaporate at different rates. So the older gas gets, the more the ratio changes. When the ratio changes enough it will not work as a fuel in a engine but will still burn (sooty). You can tell bad gas by the smell (not like fresh gas). I would expect that the fuel in a tightly sealed sigg bottle to be very close to original due to no evaporation. At a cost of $.11 I wouldn't put it in my car , lawnmower yes. SS:captain:

atraildreamer
2007-05-05, 00:52
I would expect that the fuel in a tightly sealed sigg bottle to be very close to original due to no evaporation. At a cost of $.11 I wouldn't put it in my car , lawnmower yes. SS:captain:

Anyone in the Providence area with a lawnmower that needs a gas donation? :biggrin:

atraildreamer
2007-05-05, 00:55
Better yet, wait until gas is over $4 per gallon this summer, and you will feel better about it.

Ah...summer...time for the annual screwing of the motoring public! :ahhhhh:

Will we ever learn? :albertein

Iceman
2007-05-05, 10:50
I have read that it would be better to mix old or questionable fuels into your auto fuel tank becausue of the multiple filters and dilution that comes with it.... the small engine not having filters. Besides, smaller engines need fresh fuel to even run, considering their efficiencies and such...

"At the end of the season, dump the unused unmixed gas into your car (preferably when its fuel tank is at least half full so your old gas gets mixed with fresh gas). This way you won't be tempted to use it at the start of the next season" http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm#lmgas

sailingsoul
2007-05-05, 12:34
Yes Iceman , I do not disagree with what you posted, vaild . :biggrin:......SS:captain:

atraildreamer
2007-05-05, 14:47
I have read that it would :stoned: be better to mix old or questionable fuels into your auto fuel tank becausue of the multiple filters and dilution that comes with it.... the small engine not having filters. Besides, smaller engines need fresh fuel to even run, considering their efficiencies and such...

"At the end of the season, dump the unused unmixed gas into your car (preferably when its fuel tank is at least half full so your old gas gets mixed with fresh gas). This way you won't be tempted to use it at the start of the next season" http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm#lmgas

OK...the Cavalier is going to get a shot of the old-time gas! :driver: (Stand back! :afraid: It may be too much for the old girl! :stoned: )

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-07, 11:02
OK...the Cavalier is going to get a shot of the old-time gas! :driver: (Stand back! :afraid: It may be too much for the old girl! :stoned: )

NO ... do something fun like blow it up! Pour it in an old rubber glove, seal it, put a paper wick on it, light and get out of the way. Explosives are too precious to waste on practical uses.

atraildreamer
2007-05-07, 12:50
NO ... do something fun like blow it up! Pour it in an old rubber glove, seal it, put a paper wick on it, light and get out of the way. Explosives are too precious to waste on practical uses.

Is it my imagination, or does this forum attract some strange people?:afraid: (Myself included! :aetsch: )

Take-a-knee
2007-05-07, 12:57
We'll be attracting ATF agents soon, I'm sure...if we haven't already.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-07, 13:36
Is it my imagination, or does this forum attract some strange people?:afraid: (Myself included! :aetsch: )

NICE, picture looks like a rhinoceros beetle on fire!

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-07, 13:37
We'll be attracting ATF agents soon, I'm sure...if we haven't already.

I'll ask my cousin if he has your address.

Raskusdrotti
2007-05-07, 17:25
The cup that Ray Mears and Bear Grylls both use is the Brit army Crusader (and i use it):

http://www.bcbin.com/ProductView.aspx?pid=6

The black plastic Brit army canteen fits inside and you can also get a fuel get or esbit tab cooker that goes with it (although it works best over a fire).

Oh, and hello everyone (this is my first post)

Neil

Iceman
2007-05-07, 23:58
Raskusdrotti, welcome, nice to have some new input. Welcome aboard.

dropkick
2007-05-08, 00:27
Welcome Neil (or Raskusdrotti)

The British army Crusader is the same as the American canteen cup.
The U.S. soldiers very seldom carry (or are issued) the esbit stove that goes with it though (at least when I was in.)
We've been using the cup at least since WWII (I still have - or had - my Grandfather's kit around someplace).

I wonder who came up with it first?

We also could have stolen the idea from the Germans as they used a cup like it too, and as they invented the esbit stove, I do know we got that part from them.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-08, 08:46
I have the full thing, but it doesn't pack up very neatly. The canteen packs into the cup just fine and you can run your belt through the cup wires to keep it on your waste. It flops around a bit but you can live with it. The stove portion of it doesn't connect to anything in any easy to cart around way; it’s more of an addition then a integral piece. I just leave that at home and put the cup right on the fire.

dropkick
2007-05-08, 19:23
I have the full thing, but it doesn't pack up very neatly. The canteen packs into the cup just fine and you can run your belt through the cup wires to keep it on your waste. It flops around a bit but you can live with it. The stove portion of it doesn't connect to anything in any easy to cart around way; itís more of an addition then a integral piece. I just leave that at home and put the cup right on the fire.
You're missing the canteen cover and the belt.
The canteen w/cup fits into a cloth cover which then hooks onto a military belt (doesn't work with a civilian belt). The stove (if you have the U.S. version) is supposed to fit over top of the canteen.

Amigi
2007-05-08, 23:10
I dont ultralight, but the cup itself is 10 ozs. Wow, lotta weight for a piece of gear that holds boiling water. Go Al or Ti.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-09, 09:08
You're missing the canteen cover and the belt.
The canteen w/cup fits into a cloth cover which then hooks onto a military belt (doesn't work with a civilian belt). The stove (if you have the U.S. version) is supposed to fit over top of the canteen.

I can hang it on my bekt by the cup handles but it is a bit bouncy. Anyway, it looks cool lol. Cup can take a god damn beating I'll tell ya.

Buggyman
2007-05-09, 16:36
Last night on "Man vs Wild" , Bear Grylls was holding an elephant turd over his head and squeezing it into his mouth to get a drink of water. That's one hard corps Brit. Iv'e never been THAT thirsty.

Bear
2007-05-09, 17:55
He probably hasn't either. Just Hollywood to get the ratings. Yuk!!!!!!!!!!

oops56
2007-05-09, 18:02
Yes he is a thirsty guy i seen him do it 4 times now:bootyshak :afraid:

dropkick
2007-05-10, 00:50
Last night on "Man vs Wild" , Bear Grylls was holding an elephant turd over his head and squeezing it into his mouth to get a drink of water. That's one hard corps Brit. Iv'e never been THAT thirsty.
Haven't seen him do that one yet.
I'm kind of suspicious though, as several times it has been pointed out where he cheated in some of his survival situations, didn't actually do what he said he was doing, set up scenes, and used materials he shouldn't have had.

-Also I've seen him give some very bad advice and do some incredibly stupid things.

oops56
2007-05-10, 04:19
As i see it if you can tell that he doing not right then you are learning.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-10, 10:27
Haven't seen him do that one yet.
I'm kind of suspicious though, as several times it has been pointed out where he cheated in some of his survival situations, didn't actually do what he said he was doing, set up scenes, and used materials he shouldn't have had.

-Also I've seen him give some very bad advice and do some incredibly stupid things.

It's looked like he has clearly held onto a camera man whule crossing a river, had a life jacket on while rafting, has a survival expert from that area traveling with him naming the plants and animals (even told him he couldn't eat a snake once because it was endangered), and many other types of help.

dropkick
2007-05-10, 18:26
Look closely behind him when he's talking to the camera at night and telling how miserable he is or that he hears an animal.
Twice I've seen the cloth of a tent behind the branches of his "debris shelter".
Looks like he didn't bother to go out to the shelter he built on camera, he just put some branches behind his head inside the tent he actually slept in.

Bear
2007-05-10, 21:49
The last one I watched he came across some horses, he turned to the camera and said, wild horses, I'll make a rope and ease up on them so I can ride one out of the mountains. I looked at my wife and said, either he is an idiot or he thinks everyone else is. I told her first, those are not wild horses, every wild horse I have ever seen on TV specials has a much thicker coat, and if they are wild horses they are just that, WILD! You can no more ease up on a wiild horse as you could a wild deer or elk much less ride one like it has been saddle broke. He made his rope and "eased up" on the horse and patted him. He then slipped the rope around the horses neck and tried to get on top. The horse took off and for just a second as he ran away you could see horse shoes. Didn't know wild horses came with horse shoes.

Yea I know, who is more of an idiot, him or me for waching him. You can learn a few things but mostly I watch it just for the scenery. He does show up in some beautiful places and that's the best part. The rest is theatrics.

oldsoldier
2007-05-11, 12:32
I believe he stated that they were left to roam wild, from a local rancher, or they got loose, or some such. Either way, was there any doubt he wouldnt mount the horse?
The show, as we are all aware, is largely staged. As entertaining as it would be, they wouldnt actually allow the guy to get hurt, or worse. Its hollywood...meant to be large scale. True, they arent giving accurate information. They do, however, do a CYA, when they roll the disclaimer at the beginning. But, thats TV for ya. Unreal. Survivorman, at least they SHOW him doing practical things, and not always getting them to work. But, hey, I'll still watch bear, its entertaining. And, I like pointing out the fallacies :)

Bear
2007-05-12, 05:51
You may be right oldsoldier, my hearing sucks. My family makes fun of me a lot because of what is said and what I hear.

Kanga
2008-09-17, 10:15
he stays in motels every night. he's only in the wild for like 2 hours.

sofaking
2008-09-17, 20:45
umm...who gives a shit? its a television show. get off of the sofa and go outside, all of you!

oldsoldier
2008-09-18, 09:54
umm...who gives a shit? its a television show. get off of the sofa and go outside, all of you!

Says the sofa king...

sofaking
2008-09-20, 01:31
Says the sofa king...

it's sofaking, not sofa king- open your eyes before you open your mouth...

JewDuh
2008-09-20, 13:00

I get it, like sofaking immature, or he sofaking hates getting his own joke turned around on him, or he sofaking needs angrer therapy... :mad:

I have to give props to old soldier:adore: that was a great catch, and a nice piece of whit, even if sofa did decide to be childish about it. (For an "old" guy I guess you still have a few tricks up your sleve:beer:)

And to keep this post on topic with the whole thread I gotta say that I love man VS wild, even if it is (sofaking) fake, and I don't think that he uses a canteen that breaks open into a cup He does carry different gear on different episides. Sometimes he carries a metal canteen, and other times he carries a canteen and metal cup. (He may carry a break open canteen sometimes, and I never caught it)

I recently found out that there are metal cups that fit on the bottom of lexan (ie: Nalgene) bottles like a canteen cup fits on the bottom of a canteen (I have long suspected they were out the, but never found one untill recently). You can put it all together with a cordura sleve, and it's every bit as bombproof as the military canteen system, but (in my oppinion) more functional, and deff a couple of oz lighter.

sofaking
2008-09-23, 02:00
judah, are you always kissing up to old men? you little brown nosing, gold digging turd burglar... go into the woods hiking, come back skipping...

Redleg
2008-09-25, 22:59
judah, are you always kissing up to old men? you little brown nosing, gold digging turd burglar... go into the woods hiking, come back skipping...

This sight has a feture that allows you to send http://hikinghq.net/forum/private.php to each other and spare the rest of us from the flames, please.

OR you could just go to whiteblaze and let the arbitraters deal with it.

jaf

Skidsteer
2008-09-25, 23:03

What does Minnesotasmith have to do with this?

oldsoldier
2008-09-28, 02:12

It was a pun, a play on words. Pull your head outta your 5th point of contact. Unless you like the view.

Take-a-knee
2008-10-01, 14:50
It was a pun, a play on words. Pull your head outta your 5th point of contact. Unless you like the view.

It's been awhile since I attended or presented a pre-jump briefing, but when I did the 5th point-of-contact was the lat muscles, I think you meant the 4th.

Amigi
2008-10-01, 20:46
Welcome to Whiteblaze II. Why do I come back?

oldsoldier
2008-10-02, 14:13
It's been awhile since I attended or presented a pre-jump briefing, but when I did the 5th point-of-contact was the lat muscles, I think you meant the 4th.

Dammit, I screwed a witty comeback. Theres a first :argh:

Wise Old Owl
2008-10-08, 22:38
Welcome to Whiteblaze II. Why do I come back?

WBII? Because you walk to the beat of a different drum my freind.