PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy v tent

Geo.
2007-03-28, 22:28
I've always used a small one man tunnel tent, but I've just been looking at some Hennessy hammocks and must say they were pretty impressive as far as comfort and entry goes so I'm tempted. Reckon some of you guys have experience of both, so my concern is, they look great but what happens when there's no trees around or any anchor points? Seems you'd always have to know the area you're heading into was suitable so maybe they're not as versatile as a tent. Have any of you opted out because of this experience?

dropkick
2007-03-29, 00:24
I don't use a Hennessy hammock, but I've heard of people using them like a tent or at least as a bivy bag.

I've been hammock camping (homemade hammock) for a bit over a year now and I haven't ever had a problem finding trees I could use. -Suppose it depends on the terrain you hike in though.

deadeye
2007-03-29, 11:06
I hike in New England and Northern New York, so no problem finding trees to hang from. I think if I was heading somewhere (say the PCT) where I might occassionally have trouble finding a place to hang my Hennessey, I'd just set up the tarp. Of course, if I had a MacCat tarp, it would be a very sweet setup.

Just Jeff
2007-03-29, 15:32
If you can't hang, you still have the tarp for normal tarp camping. The small tarp that comes with the HH might work if you have a good site, but lots of folks upgrade to a bigger tarp anyway.

Geo.
2007-04-01, 01:41
Thanks for the replies - decided to hold fire on considering an HH for the time being as I'm heading for a stay in a pretty tree starved area with high rainfall.
Sounds like they'd take a bit of beating in the right situation though.

PKH
2007-04-02, 07:33
Your point about knowing the general terrain, (availability of trees in particular) is well taken. These days I employ both a light tarp tent and a hammock, and it all depends on the nature of the country. On established trails I almost always elect to take the tarp tent; for any serious off trail bushwhacking walks where level ground might be problematic, I will take the hammock. As Just Jeff notes, you always have the tarp as a ground shelter of last resort. I prefer a larger tarp than the fitted Hennessy version - an 8 by 10 works best for me.

Cheers,

PKH

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-03, 10:43
If you can hang a MacCat tarp, why can't you hang a hammock?

dropkick
2007-04-04, 01:42
If you can hang a MacCat tarp, why can't you hang a hammock?
I used to tarp camp all the time (before I moved to hammock camping).
Quite often I would hold up one corner of my tarp with my walking staff and hook the other corners to the ground. No trees were involved at all.

-I think Sgt. Rock has pics of the same setup or close to it, that I used in his tarp camping how-to.

dropkick
2007-04-04, 02:14
I was wrong he doesn't have the set up I used.
What he calls the Flying Diamond is close though.
http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

I carry a small square of leather with cuts in the corners to run para cord through and a plastic washer to hold the staff. I use it to protect the tarp and provide a more stable set up.

Just Jeff
2007-04-07, 12:33
Rhino - check Blackbishop's site for pics of a MacCat pitched on the ground...that's what you'd do if you found yourself w/o a place to hang a hammock.

(It's actually his BlackCat in the pics but it's the same shape as a MacCat.)

SGT Rock
2007-04-07, 12:36
I've always used a small one man tunnel tent, but I've just been looking at some Hennessy hammocks and must say they were pretty impressive as far as comfort and entry goes so I'm tempted. Reckon some of you guys have experience of both, so my concern is, they look great but what happens when there's no trees around or any anchor points? Seems you'd always have to know the area you're heading into was suitable so maybe they're not as versatile as a tent. Have any of you opted out because of this experience?

Hey Geo,

Sort of off topic, but I gotta say I loved the book. I gotta write a review for you and get it posted. If you haven't read the book yet - get it!

Iceman
2007-04-08, 15:31
Rock, I agree, Geo is a great resource. We really need to pick his brain, he has ton's to offer. Awesome Bio'.

Geo.
2007-04-08, 18:23
Sort of off topic, but I gotta say I loved the book.

Thanks Sarge! Good to hear you got the book ok and enjoyed the read - hope it took you to a friendlier place for a while.
Cheers, Geo.

Woods Walker
2007-04-17, 23:46
I like the Hammock over a small tent or bivy. It is easy for me in New England to find trees. Flat rock free ground is in less supply. The comfort of the Hammock what I like. Also I like to pitch the hammock high and look around the woods.

oops56
2007-04-18, 01:02
What rocks i don't see any:afraid: :afraid:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_hammock.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/hammock.jpg)

Thudley
2007-04-22, 19:34
[/QUOTE] I carry a small square of leather with cuts in the corners to run para cord through and a plastic washer to hold the staff. I use it to protect the tarp and provide a more stable set up.[/QUOTE]

I just found this tip while exploring the forums. A great idea! I just added one to my mini survival kit.

Thanks!:biggrin:

Thudley
2007-04-28, 12:20
OK. I have now had a chance to try out my new HH Expedition Ultralight. This was my first experience at hammock camping. I did a short shakedown in the local woods.

From a new user's point of view, I immediately discovered that two of the most time-consuming chores associated with my past tent camping are eliminated with the hammock:

1. Clearing a suitable tent footprint of rocks, sticks & other debris which always manage to find their way to the spot under my sleeping bag.

2. Cleaning...and often drying...the underside of the tent the morning after a camp. I usually wound up toting a damp, dirty tent over a trip of several days since I could never get it dried out before having to press on.

With both of these bothers gone, I was able to set up and take down my camp in about half the time required for tent camping.

I'm hooked!:biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2007-04-28, 16:37
See... we told you! Welcome to the neighboorhood.

Woods Walker
2007-05-02, 00:33
Yup hammock camping is great. I like the fast setup and take down times. Than there is the crazy comfort thing.

Pappyhighlife
2007-05-02, 15:34
Yep, you made a good choice I was out last weekend with my HH Explorer and while taking a short nap after my three minute set up I had an epiphany about my sleep pad. I use an old army closed cell sleep pad and during the night it curls up or moves on me, so while in the HH I looked up at my ridgeline and thought why not put a small D ring up there and hook my pad to that for stabilization. Well it worked just fine of course once the pad was secured it just curled and rolled up like a child’s birthday toy. So I rolled the pad down to the slotted entrance sat down on it and laid back, I found that by using my feet I could continue to push the pad over the entrance towards the end of the hammock.
(Because I had moved the pad up closer to the head side of the Hammock there was no stress on the ridgeline itself.)

That night I covered myself with a poncho liner and my poncho over that. The low temp was 55 degrees and I slept well, very well warm as toast. Up until 0300 when Mr. Prostate said we have to take Mr. Bladder out for his evening walk.
I turned on my Bonfire light which is suspended on the ridgeline and de-assed the HH thinking it may be tough getting back in.

But alas upon my return from operation “Urine Freedom” I found I simply had to push all the covers over to one side and uncurl the pad sit back down and with my feet push the pad back over the entrance, cover my self up until the next mission.
You will have a lot of fun configuring the HH make sure to make your changes before needing to turn on your light. But that’s another story.

Thudley
2007-05-05, 11:56
"You will have a lot of fun configuring the HH..."

Yeah Pappy. I'm discovering that. Keeping the foam pad, the bag, and me all together for a night is a challenge. I tend to toss a lot and trying to re-rig everything in the dark is a bit frustrating. Thinking I may add some velcro patches to the HH and pad to keep them aligned.

I've also found that I seem to be on one side or the other of the centerline, even though I've laid everything out at a slight angle to the center. The HH seems to be lower on each side of the line. Maybe I'm rigging it wrong.

More experimentation continues....