PDA

View Full Version : What is this bag rated for?

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-04, 09:53
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=2298015&cid=99696&fp=F

Name of the bag says 0 degree, details say +15 degree lol.

Take-a-knee
2007-04-04, 11:44
X-fiber equals unknown fiber so who knows how warm it is, or whether the batts will separate the first few times you use it, leaving you with a clump of chinese crap. I'll bet you never checked to see what a Wiggy's bag would cost you, did you? I'll also bet Wiggy's won't rip off your credit card. You have to have intimate knowledge of a category of goods to value shop for them. People who post links to overstock X-fiber sleeping bags with no known loft rating or manufacturer obviously have little knowledge about sleeping bags. I know virtually nothing about computers, so I stick to name brands. Let the buyer beware. When you pay top dollar for top flight goods, you are out some money. When you spend money for a "steal", sometimes you are the one that is stolen from.

oops56
2007-04-04, 12:01
Thats like the guy was selling the best roach killer made.
It was 2 pieces of wood by 2- 4 by 6 put roach on one bang together:albertein
You did not know what it was tell it came in the mail and open it

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-04, 12:25
X-fiber equals unknown fiber so who knows how warm it is, or whether the batts will separate the first few times you use it, leaving you with a clump of chinese crap. I'll bet you never checked to see what a Wiggy's bag would cost you, did you? I'll also bet Wiggy's won't rip off your credit card.

Yes, it was over $400 bucks and I'm not paying that much.

You have to have intimate knowledge of a category of goods to value shop for them. People who post links to overstock X-fiber sleeping bags with no known loft rating or manufacturer obviously have little knowledge about sleeping bags. I know virtually nothing about computers, so I stick to name brands. Let the buyer beware. When you pay top dollar for top flight goods, you are out some money. When you spend money for a "steal", sometimes you are the one that is stolen from.

Yes, that I why I ask here (der), cause I don't know much about bags. And apparently, not many people do here either lol.

I have a 36" waist and a 50" chest. If a bag isn't at least 30" wide, I can't even zipper it up. I need something that can get wet (synthetic), is big enough, is rated 20 or colder (that was my original question btw about the difference in a 0 degree bag and a 20 degree bag for 3 season use), and to me, a 2 1/2 lb bag that doesn't fit me, is way more useless then a 4 lb bag that fits me, all for under $125. I just can't spend that much money on a bag that is going to get destroyed in 1 yr.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-04, 16:49
Gonna try the bag, I was informed it is a 0 degree bag, it looks like it will fit me, and the price is good. I know I can get a more expensive bag, but with the way I treat gear and the things that I do (hunting, blood, etc) I'm replacing my bag and some other gear every year, so I don't see the point of paying $400 for a bag I'll replace in a year as opposed to $100.

Bear
2007-04-04, 17:03
Rhino,
I hear where you are coming from but I have to agree with Take-a-knee. You get what you pay for! I have always found that it is cheaper in the long run to pay for quality because it last so lmuch longer plus I am much more satisfied with my equipment. What kind of use do you have in mind for this bag that it will be destroyed in a year? The only other thing I would try is to just keep trying discount sites such as sierra trading post, campmor, etc. With spring and summer coming up you are bound to find some sales some where.
Good luck.

Bear
2007-04-04, 17:05
Ok, you beat me to the puch by a few minutes. I was writing the last reply when you posted the answer to my question.

Jim Henderson
2007-04-04, 19:40
Thats like the guy was selling the best roach killer made.
It was 2 pieces of wood by 2- 4 by 6 put roach on one bang together:albertein
You did not know what it was tell it came in the mail and open it

Not nearly as effective or easy to use as 12D. Just raise foot over roach and stomp down hard. Maybe you have 10A or 16EEE, but those numbered roach killers are most effective and economical too.

Yeah, as far as sleeping bags, buy a good one and take care of it. A cold night is not worth a few bucks saved and a good bag can last many years. I still have and use my two down bags I bought back in the 70s and 80s. The oldest and lightest cost something like $200, the "newer" one cost me $400, but they both are in excellent shape. The expensive one looks new. SO to me the money averaged out long ago.

I don't know yet if any of my synthetic bags will last since none has lasted more than a few years so far, but then when I buy synthetic I buy those big rectangular "car camp" type bags.

Jim Henderson

JAK
2007-04-04, 23:42
Based on the fill weight, and assuming the fill is a reasonably decent synthetic, I would guess it is +15F rating at best, which is better than my current bag which I have taken down to 20F naked, and 0F with long johns, socks, gloves, hat. Below 0F things start to get very serious. I don't like my beer freezing faster than I can drink it, and that's in the relative safety of my backyard. Sure it's neat, but the novelty soon wears off.

We can get -30F here, which is fun in town, but would not be so much fun in the woods when expecting -10, and your sleeping bag and clothes are still a bit damp after wet snow and rain beforehand. So far I've been lucky, and bring extra wool.

Cheers.

Turk
2007-04-05, 00:04
I don't like my beer freezing faster than I can drink it, and that's in the relative safety of my backyard. Sure it's neat, but the novelty soon wears off.

What?!? .... See ........ *sigh*

this is why we need to cut the chord on Quebec.
Maybe a fresh new Country between us REAL Canadians and you East Coasters is the way to go. We just need some time apart. :P

I mean whats a guy supposed to think here?

Umm... you don't like beer or something?!
Can't you just drink faster?
What.... did you have a cold sore?
So the air was a tad nippy....

*sigh*

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-05, 11:26
I don't think I'll ever see 0 degrees in the wild, but if I do, I'd better be NAKED!

Anyway, I destroy bags and other gear pretty frequently. Spend a few nights hunting in the bush with your buddies and a few bottles of JD and you'll see what I mean. I've skinned animals and been covered in mud, blood and booze, then just crawled in my bag. I had a goat eat part of my bag once, I've dropped my bag into a river by mistake, tore them, shot them, etc. If I wasn't sure I was going to totally fuck the thing up I'd probably get a bag like this http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39203086&memberId=12500226 and then probably a lighter bag just to have.