PDA

View Full Version : Fire or First Aid Kit

oops56
2007-04-09, 18:56
I was at the drug store to get some heat rash cream. Found this i thought this would make a nice fire kit or add more for a first aid kit its plastic 4x2-1/2x1-1/2 not real waterpoof but a little tape

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_bandaid.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/bandaid.jpg)

incognito
2007-04-09, 23:36
I was at the drug store to get some heat rash cream. Found this i thought this would make a nice fire kit or add more for a first aid kit its plastic 4x2-1/2x1-1/2 not real waterpoof but a little tape

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_bandaid.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/bandaid.jpg)

Last I heard, you guys were under a a foot and a half of snow up there. How in the world are you getting "heat rash" that you need cream? Come on Oops, we need a good laugh:aetsch:

SGT Rock
2007-04-09, 23:39
maybe you can make a gasket.

oops56
2007-04-10, 00:22
Its more like a baby rash down where the sun don't shine. it happens more in hot weather but sometime in cold.:bike: Take it from there.

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-10, 08:04
Fellows, you might want to go over to the girly makeup department and look at the options for carrying make-up in your purse. These have gaskets to keep liquid make-up with a loosened lid from spilling all over the contents of our purse. (Looking forward to seeing guys with pink and purple first aid / fire kits :D )

incognito
2007-04-10, 13:05
Fellows, you might want to go over to the girly makeup department and look at the options for carrying make-up in your purse. These have gaskets to keep liquid make-up with a loosened lid from spilling all over the contents of our purse. (Looking forward to seeing guys with pink and purple first aid / fire kits :D )

One of the best firestarters comes from the girly departments. I did post a photo of it on another forum(in the interest of life saving fire science) and the photo was deleted. I dare not even give the name of it. :afraid:

I'll have to mosey on through the dept. again and investigate the the gasketed containers you speak of. Hmmmm!! pink and purple fire kit.

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-10, 16:51
What was the firestarter? A tampon soaked in some sort petroleum product? I've cut those up and soaked them in vasoline. Makes a great firestarter.

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-10, 17:09
Just carry a quart of diesel fuel everywhere you go.

Iceman
2007-04-11, 00:14
Oops, you are one sick puppy! That's why I like you so much! Try Desitin!

I am so glad we took this time to share!:nurse:

incognito
2007-04-12, 18:51
What was the firestarter? A tampon soaked in some sort petroleum product? I've cut those up and soaked them in vasoline. Makes a great firestarter.

Yes, they are compact to the max (not to be confused with maxi pads:biggrin: ) When one of them is fluffed out they are equivalent to many many cotton balls and they are made of pure cotton. (no toxin syndrone)

They ignite so easily, I refere to them as explosive.

Vasaline extends the burn time of the cotton.

Someday I'll show a photo of a firestarter made with a potato peeler and a Q-tip

If anyone has some Desitin cream try some of that on the cotton and see how it ignites, let us know.

atraildreamer
2007-04-14, 16:53
What was the firestarter?

Ronson Lighter Fuel...aka: "Boy Scout Water."

Used it on every hike that Troop 2, Valley Falls, RI took. The scoutmaster even borrowed it once! :embarasse

Kea
2007-04-14, 19:18
Ronson Lighter Fuel...aka: "Boy Scout Water."

Used it on every hike that Troop 2, Valley Falls, RI took. The scoutmaster even borrowed it once! :embarasse

That's because thermite isn't as easy to work with. :)

atraildreamer
2007-04-14, 22:46
That's because thermite isn't as easy to work with. :)
Thermite...will it work in my Goya stove? Where can I get some? :afraid:

Kea
2007-04-14, 23:07
Thermite...will it work in my Goya stove?

Exactly once, and you'll have to replace the stove and the pot when you're done with dinner. :)

dropkick
2007-04-15, 01:10
I was reminded of another rambling tale from my Boyscout days:

We were at a huge Jamboree with Scouts coming and camping from all over the western U.S.
Several governors and the Secretary of the Interior came too.
President was going to come but he couldn't for some reason.

On this trip I stepped on my first live rattlesnake (I've stepped on 2 in my lifetime) and I saw pop up dome tents used for the first time.
- I also saw what happens when you camp is in the middle of a big bare windy valley and you don't hook down your pop up tent - as far as I know they're still chasing their tents as they roll along. I felt much better about our troops old army surplus tents after that.

Anyway to my point, We had one of those older kids along (perpetual scouts) we called him Poncho. I watched him try to get a fire going with "Boyscout water". Then I watched the flame race up the stream of fluid to the can, Poncho throw it away and the can explode. It was COOL!!

Poncho wouldn't do it again though.
And then the Scout Leader heard about it and took away all the liquid fire starter.

Over all though it was a pretty memorable trip.

-Oh I also tried to cut off my left index finger with a swede saw on this trip. Gave me my first cool looking scar.

Amigi
2007-04-15, 19:23
Iron oxide, aluminum strips, magnesium. I wont say what ratio. In small quantities the stuff will set anything on fire. I carry a healthy quantity here in Florida when hiking in the rainy season, about a hand full in 3-4 packets. Wood will get a wet during our afternoon showers, just enough to not light via normal means, but will burn fine if the fire is already going.
SO, I light one of these packets in a kindling pile, and a shaved log will burn within 1 min.

Tampons and vasoline, hmmmm. Some people have too much play time, lol.

Bear
2007-04-15, 20:09
Dropkick,
When my son was in the scouts and I was an Asst. scout master we called gasoline girlscout water because if you had to use it to start a fire you were a girl.

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-15, 20:24
::: Dino tosses Amigi a pink firestarter kit because she is so happy to see him :::

dropkick
2007-04-16, 02:27
Dropkick,
When my son was in the scouts and I was an Asst. scout master we called gasoline girlscout water because if you had to use it to start a fire you were a girl.
I used to let the other scouts play with the fires. I grew up with wood heat and was quite happy to leave dealing with the fires to the others. (They all seemed to enjoy it and want to do it more anyway).

I learned to start a fire with one match when I was quite young.
One of my early chores was to start the morning fire and wasting matches was heavily frowned apon.

My Dad was a Scout master too. His Scouts had to learn how to start fires also. He would often have me come to the meetings and use me as a helper - until I got out of Cubs and joined another troop.

Bear
2007-04-16, 06:49
Dropkick,
I know exactly what you mean. I started camping with my kids when they were about 3 years old and did all the fire building for years. Was glad when they were old enough to help gather wood and make fires. They took turns each night and it was a contest to see who could get the fire going with the least amount of matches and no paper. When they got into scouting, they were head and shoulders above most of the other kids. My son is in college now and told me a while back he had made a bet with some of his fraternity brothers at a camp out that he could get a fire going without gasoline faster than them with gas. They jumped on the bet. He won!

He has told me several times he can not believe how inept some of his buddies are in the woods. I remind him that he grew up next to the woods and has been doing these things since he could walk. What is second nature to you is Greek to others. One of the best things you can do for a kid is to teach them outdoor skills. It helps build a confidence that stays with them in everything they do.