PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre News

Sgt.Krohn
2007-04-11, 00:42
Hiker who lived on jungle frogs and spiders returns home
9Apr2007 - Associated Press

PARIS — One of two hikers who became lost in the dense jungle of French Guiana and survived for seven weeks on beetles, frogs and tarantulas has returned home to France, frail and with a thick beard, "tired but happy."

Loic Pillois was met Sunday at the Bordeaux airport, in southwestern France, by his parents and brother, Le Parisien newspaper reported Monday.

"I'm tired but happy," said Pillois. "It's a huge relief, it makes me want to cry."

Pillois' hiking partner, fellow Frenchman Guilhem Nayral, suffered major weight loss and remains hospitalized in French Guiana, where his condition is improving, Le Parisien said.

The two men had set out Feb. 14 from the Grand Kanori rapids on the river Approuague to the tiny village of Saul. Their families alerted authorities on Feb. 28, two days after they were scheduled to arrive.

"We thought that someone would come looking for us, so we stopped. We waited for three weeks in the same place. We heard helicopters pass, and we figured that we had to make ourselves seen. So we cut down trees to make a fire," Pillois told reporters following his rescue, according to RFO television.

"We ate palm seeds, we drank water because we always had a river next to us, where we washed," he said. "We also trapped insects and beetles. We ate frogs and tarantulas."

Eventually, the men set off again, hiking for three hours a day through rain, across swamps and over hills. Pillois made the last leg of the trip to Saul alone because Nayral was too weak to continue.

Pillois arrived Thursday in Saul and told police that Nayral was waiting a five- or six-hour hike away, French authorities said. Helicopters were sent to collect him.

Take-a-knee
2007-04-11, 00:51
That's like that marine private at 29 Palms years ago that was left as a road guard and forgotten about, he figured someone would notice he was missing and come police him up, they did of course, to find his body.

Iceman
2007-04-11, 01:21
I am sorry, but I am not waiting so long before I make my way out. Three weeks in the same place is a problem for me.

dropkick
2007-04-11, 02:13
Aren't frogs what French guys eat anyway?

Bear
2007-04-11, 04:39
The cajuns down here sure eat them. In fact, they go out of their way to catch and eat them. Not too bad, taste kinda like chicken.

SGT Rock
2007-04-11, 06:26
I am sorry, but I am not waiting so long before I make my way out. Three weeks in the same place is a problem for me.
Well they would have stayed longer, but being French...:knuddel:

But they had no one come so they could surrender to them.:bawling: :bawling:

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-12, 18:00
What happened at 29 Palms? All I could find was this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29_Palms

SGT Rock
2007-04-12, 18:13
About 15-20 years ago the Marines left a guy alone at a check point in the middle of the desert and forgot about him for about a week. He finally got tired of waiting and went off on his own to find help. Died within yards of a major highway.

incognito
2007-04-12, 18:38
Aren't frogs what French guys eat anyway?

They eat snails. Easier to catch!!!

"Frogs" is a name given to the French people in general. The climate/weather is fit for frogs. Been there, married one, mistake, sent her back, no refund wanted.:beer:

JAK
2007-04-12, 19:19
I had frog legs once a while ago. They actually came on one of those styrofoam squares wrapped in cellophane. Tasted like, "now why did I do that." In the wild I wouldn't hesitate of course, if I had two clues to rub together. I'm still not sure what I forage eat hear in New Brunswick if I had to, depending on the time of the year. I have a lot of respect for bears, and the old indians of course. I think the best I could scare up outside of berry season might be about 100 calories a day. I've made tea of course, which is very useful, but not a lot of calories. You guys must know. What would you guys eat, up in Maine say, depending on the time of year. Is there anything that directly comes to mind? I think I knew that salmanders were poisonous. What about toads? Interesting stuff. Seems like a good way to get to know the woods better.

Here is an interesting article on frogs and such.
http://www.jstor.org/view/00218715/ap020143/02a00010/0?frame=frame&userID=8a772453@unb.ca/01cce4406800501bc0658&dpi=3&config=jstor

oops56
2007-04-12, 20:19
Well i was raise and born in Maine tell 17 now live in Vermont. Its like this we went to the groceries store when we got hungry:canabis: :confused:

Rhino-lfl
2007-04-13, 12:19
I had frog legs once a while ago. They actually came on one of those styrofoam squares wrapped in cellophane. Tasted like, "now why did I do that." In the wild I wouldn't hesitate of course, if I had two clues to rub together. I'm still not sure what I forage eat hear in New Brunswick if I had to, depending on the time of the year. I have a lot of respect for bears, and the old indians of course. I think the best I could scare up outside of berry season might be about 100 calories a day. I've made tea of course, which is very useful, but not a lot of calories. You guys must know. What would you guys eat, up in Maine say, depending on the time of year. Is there anything that directly comes to mind? I think I knew that salmanders were poisonous. What about toads? Interesting stuff. Seems like a good way to get to know the woods better.

Here is an interesting article on frogs and such.
http://www.jstor.org/view/00218715/ap020143/02a00010/0?frame=frame&userID=8a772453@unb.ca/01cce4406800501bc0658&dpi=3&config=jstor

Worms, ants, most little bugs, tons of various plants (there are great books on North American edible wild plants), etc. If you made a sling shot you could go after small mammals and birds, if you were near water you could build a fish trap or spear fish. You could make deadfalls for ground mammals, if you had thick wire you might make snares for medium sized mammals, if you made an Atlatl and had some skill, you could go after deer, pig, dogs, or if you could make a bow it would be even better.

I’ve foraged around on weekend outings and stuff; you’d be surprised how much food there is to eat if you’re not picky. Stay away from slimy things, spiders, things crawling around in poo, mushrooms, etc. I made a worm burger once on a trip, soaked the worms in water so they would flush themselves out, then mashed them up and threw it on a hot rock to cook. Not as good as Fudruckers, but it filled the hole.