PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love those Marines - Calling it as they see it.

SGT Rock
2007-04-11, 08:04
:officer10 :flag-mari
The White House wants to appoint a high-powered czar to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with authority to issue directions to the Pentagon, the State Department and other agencies, but it has had trouble finding anyone able and willing to take the job, according to people close to the situation.

At least three retired four-star generals approached by the White House in recent weeks have declined to be considered for the position, the sources said, underscoring the administration's difficulty in enlisting its top recruits to join the team after five years of warfare that have taxed the United States and its military.

"The very fundamental issue is, they don't know where the hell they're going," said retired Marine Gen. John J. "Jack" Sheehan, a former top NATO commander who was among those rejecting the job. Sheehan said he believes that Vice President Cheney and his hawkish allies remain more powerful within the administration than pragmatists looking for a way out of Iraq. "So rather than go over there, develop an ulcer and eventually leave, I said, 'No, thanks,' " he said.

Doesn't mince words does he?:drillserg

jimtanker
2007-04-11, 08:44
Good luck finding someone for the position of "National Scapegoat".

Sgt.Krohn
2007-04-11, 08:56
reminds me of Johnson & McNamara running Westmorland and Vietnam from the White House

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-11, 13:08
::: dino snaps to a proper salute for General Sheehan :::

SowthEfrikan
2007-04-11, 20:56
Pull out now and or fight until there is victory. Why waste lives shilly-shallying with idiotic timetables.

JAK
2007-04-11, 22:06
Made me curious what Oliver North was up to these days...

"In 2006 North stated that President Bush's plan to for 20,000 additional ground troops in Iraq as part of a "surge" plan "sounds eerily like Lyndon Johnson’s plan to save Vietnam in the 60s by gradual escalation as a way not to lose." He further stated that none of the troops in Iraq whom he had spoken with thought a surge was a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_North

My intention was to be cheeky, but I think the egg is on my face.

SGT Rock
2007-04-11, 22:59
I was in Iraq and I thought the surge was a bad idea. Just go run all the Fobbits out of the PX, MWR, and super KBR DFACS and I bet you could find a enough extra soldiers to do patrols.

Take-a-knee
2007-04-11, 23:36
It isn't how many carpenters are on the job, it is all about how many nails are being driven. There ain't nowhere near enough nail-drivin' goin on over there.

SGT Rock
2007-04-12, 07:45
Well IMO the problem is not the US military and what we are doing. We win every fight we get into.

The problem is the Iraqis and the pressure from our government. I know what they should be doning, but I don't know why they are not doing it. But let me throw out some observations:

1. I spend 365 over there and get a whole 15 days of leave I am authorized to take (depite the fact I actually earn more, but that is moot). So I and my buds were fighting, bleeding, and dying for Iraq. While at the same time the average Iraqi unit has about 50% strength on hand at any given time. Why? Because they take about half the month off every month. So about 6 months off when they should be fighting for their own country. Seems sort of like screwed up priorities. MG Thurman tried to get them to change that, so they just started reporting lower numbers on leave (I think they went to about 25% - so just three months total off a year) but in practice it was still about the same. Sort of pisses you off don't it.

2. We took the country with about 40,000 troops actually on the invasion. We pacified the country when we got the rest in place - about 120,000. Since then we have trained about 320,000 Iraqi security forces to take the mission so they could do it. Not only did we train them, we equiped them, and we funded them (and still do most of it today too). So if we have developed a force that is about tripple the size it took us to do the job, why are we still over there 4 years later with increasing troop levels? Something is rotten here.

3. Oil rich country, and the government controls the distro of oil and fuel. Yet up until the begining of this year when we flat refused to give them any more gas, they mooched all the gas off us they could get. And even then they acted like the world would collapsed because there was no gas. Seems that when push came to shove, they actually could make it happen - but it was easier to black market gas as long as we were still giving them what they asked for.

4. Contracts - don't even get me started. But a $13 million contract that you (the taxpayer) only get about $4 million in returns is a shitty way to run a government or business (unless your business gets the other $9 million in pure proffit).

5. Corruption - that last one sort of leads into this. But it is off the hook, and they are getting adicted to our aid.

Anyway, I should stop. But I see this like raising a teenager. If you let them get away with anything, they will see what else they can get away with too. If you want a teenager to clean their room and they have everything they want in that room, then telling them to go to their room and don't come out until it is clean means they end up playing nintendo and laughing at you. But if you tell them to clean the sumbitch or they lose everything, then they get their damn room clean.

We need to tell them they better clean up or start losing things.

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-12, 11:13
SgtRock, your concise and timely statement above is the best thing I have read to date about the realities of this conflict. Thank you not only for your service, but for taking the time to pen this.