PDA

View Full Version : Ground Cloth needed w/ Silnylon floor?

Bster13
2007-04-15, 20:05
I am in the process of making a Ray Jardine Tar-tent with optional net-tent which includes a silnylon floor. I would like to know if the group recommends a ground cloth underneath that? I sometimes hear of people recommending them, then others just going with the silnylon flr.

I'm considering...

-Campmor Emergency Blanket:
http://tinyurl.com/yrfn28

-Tyvek 'kite' wrap:
http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/tyvek.html

-Another Silnylon tarp.

And do you have an opinion on which ground cloth is best?

Thx.

Bryce

SGT Rock
2007-04-15, 20:13
Well I don't know if you absolutly need one. As I remember it he uses just the tarp with some net, and then just adds a groundcloth in underneath. Maybe you should just sew in a tyvek floor and forget having sil-nylon.

deadeye
2007-04-15, 20:45
I have a Henry Shires TarpTent with floor. It was designed as a floorless tarp, and he added the floor option later. I bought it with the floor because the silnylon floor weighed less than tyvek of the same size. I don't use any other groundcloth - I just try to take reasonable care of the floor. If necessary, it would be a simple matter to replace the floor.

My previous tent - really my Dad's tent - got used for years by myself, my Dad, and my brother. We always used a ground cloth underneath, and the floor is still the part that finally gave out. Seems to me like that's a big advantage to a floorless tent, or one like the Shires' model that's designed to work with or without.

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-15, 20:57
I prefer a tyvek floor because you don't slide around on it and it is more durable.

JAK
2007-04-15, 23:22
What is the function, or functions, of a ground cloth?

Frolicking Dino
2007-04-15, 23:34
Keeps the bottom of the tent cleaner / dryer and protects the bottom from puctures by sharp stones or sticks.

JAK
2007-04-15, 23:46
Maybe adding a little weight to make the bottom detachable and replaceable would eliminated the ground sheet.
p.s. So what's the bottom of the tent for? Is it mostly to keep the bugs out? Dirt? Water? Snow? Cold?

dropkick
2007-04-16, 01:31
So what's the bottom of the tent for? Is it mostly to keep the bugs out? Dirt? Water? Snow? Cold?

Yes to all

dropkick
2007-04-16, 01:43
I've been using footprints for years.
While they don't eliminate wear to the floor they make it last much longer and make patch jobs fewer.

Having said that, quite often when tent hiking I didn't bring it. This wasn't due to weight problems, the reason I didn't bring it was because I didn't want to hassle with it when setting up camp at the end of day.

When tarp camping I never had a built tarp like the Ray-Way, I just carried a overhead tarp and a ground cloth.

JAK
2007-04-16, 02:34
I use just a poncho/tarp, bivy, full sized pad, without a ground sheet,
but in summer I want to leave the bivy home, and I'm wondering about bugs.

Iceman
2007-04-16, 09:45
So what's the bottom of the tent for? Is it mostly to keep the bugs out? Dirt? Water? Snow? Cold?

All of the above, plus mice. Also to cut the wind, keep dust down, no wind chill.

Bster13
2007-04-16, 10:08
Just want to clarify...whether u call it a ground cloth, or a footprint, I want to say that there will already be a floor to the tent made out of silnylon. The ground cloth, or footprint as some have mentioned would be under that. The benefits I see are:

-Protects (somewhat fragile?) silnylon tent flr.
-Allows you to pick slightly less perfect tent site for the night w/ added protection.
-Would seemingly decrease of water/condensation leaking in underneath u.

Downsides:
-Weight.
-Extra setup time.

incognito
2007-04-16, 14:13
I use just a poncho/tarp, bivy, full sized pad, without a ground sheet,
but in summer I want to leave the bivy home, and I'm wondering about bugs.

Leave the bugs at home also.

dropkick
2007-04-17, 01:50
O.K. to clarify my position:
If it was me I'd make a footprint for base camping and leave it at home when hiking and making single night camps.

P.S. I'd also drizzle some silicone around the inside of the floor so it wasn't so slick and possibly beef up the water resistance around the edge of the tub.
Instructions on how to:
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

-I wouldn't paint the whole floor as recommended in the link above, as it would add too much weight and I don't believe it's truly needed.

Amigi
2007-04-17, 22:36
Maybe you should just sew in a tyvek floor and forget having sil-nylon.

Yup, and yup again to get to ten.

rambler
2007-05-09, 11:38
Go floorless, then have a ground cover that just fits under your sleeping pad or bag. If the ground is wet when you make camp, your sleeping gear will be kept dry. Use a piece of silnylon, or a piece of coated nylon. If you want to protect the bottom floor of your tent, get a .3ml plastic drop cloth from the paint section of a hardware store or Home Depot. Tape the corners to your tent bottom. This suggestion comes from Warmlite for their tent bottoms. These plastic pieces are stronger than you think. If you camp on wet sand, you can just remove the plastic later and just add a new piece. If you sleep on a ground cover, the ground underneath will be dry in the morning.