PDA

View Full Version : The HH desert Rat v Explorer deluxe

peterhove
2007-04-27, 19:45
Hello!

I'm planning my first purchase of a camping hammock, and I stumbled upon this offer from HH:

The Desert Rat is a special model made for the US military. It has the same body fabric as the Ultralight Backpacker and the same heavy duty fly fabric as the Expedition Asym. This provides greater ventilation as well as increased sun protection, weighs in at 2 lb. 10 oz, and is suitable for users up to 6' tall and 250 lbs

They sell it for 130$. I cant seem to find any reviews of this hammock on the net. Does anybody have any experience with it? And how does it compare in use with the Explorer Deluxe?

It says on the website that the Desert Rat "provides greater ventilation". Does that mean that it is les insulated? I'm mainly going to use it in Scandinavia with low temperatures at night.

I'm also concidering using it for my work as a photographer at a danish newspaper. My job includes some travel, but i'm wondering what to do with all my equipment at night? Is there room inside the hammock for this?

thanks in advance
Peter

Mutinousdoug
2007-04-27, 23:13
Peter,
By themselves, none of the Hennessys provide ANY insulation. What Tom must be talking about is the thinner "ultralite" body of the hammock providing some additional "ventilation". If the places you camp in Scandinavia get below about 16c at night, you will need additional insulation under the hammock.
I think the "desert rat" model must be so new that there is not much feedback on it yet. If it is the same size as an "Explorer Asym"; your photo equipment will be staying under another tarp, unless you are using something smaller than an SLR w/o lights, tripod or supplimental lenses. Space inside the "Explorer Asym" is limited; my camping gear sleeps under a plastic bag outside the tarp.

deadeye
2007-04-27, 23:50
I'll second that. About all you could bring inside would be the camera itself, hanging from a hook at the end of the hammock. Great for sleeping, and not much else.

Take-a-knee
2007-04-27, 23:59
If the hammock body is the same as the Backpacker Ultralite then any review for that hammock would be informative. Sounds like Hennessy just took that hammock and packaged it with a larger, heavier fly. The backpacker model comes with a light (and small) silnylon fly. I think the Backpacker Ultralight sells for $170, Hennesy will sell a hammock without a fly for $50 off. Sounds like you'd be getting that large fly for $10, sounds like a good deal for me. If you are going to carry this thing on your back you can always buy a lighter tarp, many of use here have done that. As for staying warm, read SGT Rock's articles on the HikingHQ website.

peterhove
2007-04-30, 17:40
Thank you guys! Allways nice to get good advice! My main concern is theft and yes - I do use large SLRs and carry a laptop with me.

Do you have any suggestions on how to secure these items? I mean outside the hammock?

GGS
2007-05-01, 01:49
Thank you guys! Allways nice to get good advice! My main concern is theft and yes - I do use large SLRs and carry a laptop with me.

Do you have any suggestions on how to secure these items? I mean outside the hammock?

Are you concerned about theft while you are sleeping or while you are away from camp?

If you are sleeping in your Hennessy you can put your things on the ground underneath you. The rainfly will also shield these items. Placing them in your backpack or plastic bag will further protect them and keep others from knowing valuables are there. Unless you go into a coma when you sleep I'd think you would hear someone trying to take your stuff. Maybe you could tie bells to it to warn you if it's being moved. Also an SLR could be hung from the ridgeline on the inside of the hammock. The laptop might prove too big for that.

If you are away from camp you can put all the stuff you leave behind inside the hammock. While I wouldn't call that "secure" it does keep it out of sight from idle passers by. Also people may think the hammock is occupied.

dropkick
2007-05-01, 03:24
I've been using an independant 2nd line for my tarp and hanging my pack from it at night (hooked top and bottom so it hangs at an angle and doesn't hang down onto the hammock).
- Don't know how (or if) this would work for you HHer's. I made my hammock and the bug screen is completely separate from the hammock body (I actually don't use it much). So I have room under the tarp to hang my pack while you might not.

I also have a short length of 1/8" wire cable (20 ft.) that I can wrap around my pack and hook to a tree. Not extremely safe (cable only has a 100 lb. load limit) and would be easy to defeat as the pack isn't actually very well secured (I hook it closed with a carabiner - don't have a small lock) but it would slow a crook and it keeps the honest people honest.
Used along with a bear bell it makes a pretty good alarm too.

-I actually got the cable as I was going into an area where I'd heard the racoons had learned to chew through the ropes on bear bags to get them down.

Iceman
2007-05-01, 10:28
How about getting one of those portable folding toilet seat thingys, setting it off thirty feet from your hammock and stowing your gear inside. Then all you will have to worry about is someone crapping on your stuff...Nobody going to take it....:biggrin:

Heck, might make a nice camp chair, kill two birds with one stone....heck you may even use the "chair"....three birds....

dropkick
2007-05-01, 19:20
How about getting one of those portable folding toilet seat thingys, setting it off thirty feet from your hammock and stowing your gear inside. Then all you will have to worry about is someone crapping on your stuff...Nobody going to take it....:biggrin:

Heck, might make a nice camp chair, kill two birds with one stone....heck you may even use the "chair"....three birds....
Sounds like the "Traveler's Safe" - a pair of prestained underwear with a secret compartment sewn into them.
Who's going to look?