PDA

View Full Version : This Platyous makes my water taste funny :(



Bster13
2007-05-10, 15:43
Does it wear off over time? Is there a 'fix?' :afraid:

Bear
2007-05-10, 16:00
Not knowing any details, if I were you I would first try mixing in some baking soda. Mix a heavy solution and let it soak a couple of days then flush with water and let it air a couple more days then test it again. I'm sure there are more more knowledgeable people on this subject that can give you better advice but that is where I would start.

Take-a-knee
2007-05-10, 16:01
Six or eight drops of bleach per quart, let it soak overnight. Next day dump the water and hang it up ( I screwed hooks on the back of the cabinet valence over my sink) until it is bone dry, this may be several days. I took a one-hole punch and poked holes in the flange at the bottom of all my platys and ran gutted 550 cord through them so they can be inverted and hung. Do this every time you use them and don't put anything sugary in them and they'll stay relatively clean. I carry a 16oz nalgene for gatorade, it can go in the dishwasher.

Bster13
2007-05-10, 16:20
Sorry, didn't give enough details. This Platty is brand spanking new, this is the first water (poland springs) that has been in it, or any other liquid for that matter. After leaving the water in there overnight it now has this strong, plasticy aftertaste.

Take-a-knee
2007-05-10, 16:25
Just give a couple of hot-water rinses and hang it up to air dry, it should be fine. There is some sort of disinfecting tablet called Effervesce or something similar that is suppose to work well without leaving that chlorine aftertaste when it really gets funky.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-10, 17:14
Does the water in it taste the same as the water you put in it? Make sure the water wasn't funky to begin with before you start drilling holes and filling a new plat with chemicals.

dropkick
2007-05-10, 18:11
I had the same problem with a nalgene (I don't use platy's).
Had a plastic taste from the first time I used it and it wouldn't go away even after several wash and rinses.

First I tried rinsing it with cider vinegar (I thought it works for coffee makers so why not?) this actually made it worse.

I finally got rid of it by letting a solution of bleach and water sit in it for a few hours (1/2 capful of bleach to enough water to fill). Then I put a baking soda water mixture in it and let it sit overnight. Rinsed it, let it dry, and it was good.

I also have a friend who washes his water bladders with Efferdent, he says it gives a minty taste, and is much easier than using a brush.
He just fills it with water, then drops in the tablet and lets it sit overnight.

Iceman
2007-05-10, 22:45
Light bleach and water. Soak overnight, rinse the bejeezeez out of it, hang to air it out. (Bleach is safe, in micro/tiny amounts...) Store it propped open to air it out all year until use. Works for me.

ShakeyLeggs
2007-05-10, 23:47
Might also want to give the Camelbak cleaning tabs a try.

oldsoldier
2007-05-11, 12:24
Use denture cleaner. Thats what I use. I also store my platy in the freezer when not in use.

Amigi
2007-05-12, 22:07
Light bleach and water. Soak overnight, rinse the bejeezeez out of it, hang to air it out. (Bleach is safe, in micro/tiny amounts...) Store it propped open to air it out all year until use. Works for me.

If you just fill the platy with Vaseline, it absorbs the taste of the plastic. Or...:bike:
Do what Iceman said. One 2L platy and a one liter nalgene is usually what I carry. I think I'm on my fourth or fifth platy now. I carry 2 here in Fl. I suffered through the plastic taste with my first two, essentially ruining the second one with Tang to cover the taste ( no sugar in platys ). Now, I fill it with water and add about 8 drops. Let it sit overnight ( 10 hours approx ), then rinse the heck out of it with hot water. Blow air into it then prop it open with a platy propper. What's a platy propper you ask? It's a cut up plastic coat hangar. :beer:

dropkick
2007-05-12, 23:37
Found a great water bladder. large opening for cleaning and drying, lined with an antibacterial, anti bad taste film, and only $12.00 CAD!

Some of you may have noticed the problem, that dang CAD suffix.
I don't live in Canada.

After joining the Co-op that's selling it ($5.00) and having it shipped ($19.00) plus possible import fees it no longer resembles a good deal.

I guess I'm sticking with my Nalgene.

www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444259 2205&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699815&bmUID=1150726190420

Still a good deal for some Canadian. (Turk)