PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Camping made me soft

dropkick
2007-05-12, 03:20
When I first found this forum I was looking for a new sleeping pad to replace some cardboard cut from a box and taped so I could fold it.
(I started using the cardboard when my old foam pad disentigrated.)
I would get up after sleeping on my cardboard do a few calestenics to pop everything in place and be ready to go.

After being on this board for awhile I was seduced by the siren call of hammock camping.

Yesterday I went to take the dog for a walk in the Bitterroot National Forest (where we usually go) and it was such a nice day that I decided to spend the night
In my truck I had everything I needed except my sleeping hammock. However I had a tent and an old air mattress that I'd thrown into the back of my truck for just such an occasion.

Spent a not very comfortable night on the mattress (kept being half on and half off) and when I got up I had to crawl out of my tent and use my cane to stand up! AARGH! My back and the rest of me wasn't happy.

After a while I hobbled over to the uninsulated hammock that I'd set up earlier to read in (till it got too cold).
I lay in the hammock till my back and the rest of me realigned and my movements didn't resemble those of a 150 year old man.

I'm ruined for sleeping on pinecones and rocks. From now on I'll have to sleep in comfort.

I hope you're all satisfied.:hmpf:

Kiwi Dad
2007-05-12, 04:44
Know how you feel. There is no way I'm sleeping on the deck - ever. Crawling out of a tent is so different from rolling out of a hammock. You just don't have to bend!

peter_pan
2007-05-12, 07:16
When I first found this forum I was looking for a new sleeping pad to replace some cardboard cut from a box and taped so I could fold it.
(I started using the cardboard when my old foam pad disentigrated.)
I would get up after sleeping on my cardboard do a few calestenics to pop everything in place and be ready to go.

After being on this board for awhile I was seduced by the siren call of hammock camping.

Yesterday I went to take the dog for a walk in the Bitterroot National Forest (where we usually go) and it was such a nice day that I decided to spend the night
In my truck I had everything I needed except my sleeping hammock. However I had a tent and an old air mattress that I'd thrown into the back of my truck for just such an occasion.

Spent a not very comfortable night on the mattress (kept being half on and half off) and when I got up I had to crawl out of my tent and use my cane to stand up! AARGH! My back and the rest of me wasn't happy.

After a while I hobbled over to the uninsulated hammock that I'd set up earlier to read in (till it got too cold).
I lay in the hammock till my back and the rest of me realigned and my movements didn't resemble those of a 150 year old man.

I'm ruined for sleeping on pinecones and rocks. From now on I'll have to sleep in comfort.

I hope you're all satisfied.:hmpf:

Yup... Discomfort happens.

Real error was in not having insulation for the hammoch and going to ground...bet it will be the last time....

Pan

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-25, 11:58
Yup... Discomfort happens.

Real error was in not having insulation for the hammoch and going to ground...bet it will be the last time....

Pan

I've actually had too much warmth in my hammock at times. Nothing like being insulated up the yahoo below and pointing Mr. Happy to the bare sky at night.