PDA

View Full Version : 2 Oz ultralight vest.

jimtanker
2007-05-12, 07:23
How about this? A 2 Oz vest made of reflective mylar like the space blankets.

2 Oz vest (http://www.preparedpilot.com/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=a57ec972b303f875c0b6d2aa64dc5252)

john pickett
2007-05-12, 20:12
Looks good. Gotta wonder how tough it would be. Mylar isn't known for durability. I guess it would depend on the guage of plastic it's laminated to.
Might be a condensation issue here also.
John Pickett

Jonas4321
2007-05-17, 10:54
Looks good. Gotta wonder how tough it would be. Mylar isn't known for durability. I guess it would depend on the guage of plastic it's laminated to.
Might be a condensation issue here also.
John Pickett

With the marketing title of "survival vest" I think that it is designed for an emergency, not regular wear. I would guess that it's also designed for a one-time use. Seems like a logical extension of reflective and trapped air insulation, as survival blankets are designed for reflective heat retention only.

It looks like it's Mylar on both layers, just one side is powder coated (or some other method) with the orange/yellow color.

Interesting. When I get $15 burning a hole in my pocket, I might pick one up. I do a fair amount of winter camping, so it would be easy to test it, plus it might make a nifty show-and-tell at the winter camping training classes I staff for Scout leaders.

Thanks for the post, Jim!

Iceman
2007-05-18, 02:35
JT, looks like one of those sleeves you cook food in, in the microwave, they should have called it the HotPocket!