PDA

View Full Version : The Taboo of Crotch-Rot

BigJohn
2007-05-17, 16:46
Hello, not sure if this is a taboo subject or not. Could not find any direct references to it in the forum so I'll go ahead and ask.

New to hiking, I'm a big guy and I need to know how to deal with rashes? What kind of clothes do you recommend, and other fixes/preventative measures?

Kiwi Dad
2007-05-17, 17:20
Lucas Pawpaw ointment. The rash will stay red for a day or two but the hurt dissapears fairly quick.

Mutinousdoug
2007-05-17, 17:52
Anti-fungal cream. The same as can be used for athlete's foot is useful. Look for the ingredient: "tolnaftate". The drug store generic is as effective as name brand stuff.
If you are prone to rot you might forgo U-trou altogether for a few days. ( I never wore a pair of u-trou the whole time I was in RVN until the Army issued me a set of kakhis to go home in.)

Frolicking Dino
2007-05-17, 20:01
Over in the girly department near the douches is a product called Soothing Care by Monistat. It is a skin protectant. Works wonders for me (a fluffy female dino)

dropkick
2007-05-18, 00:55
I'll second the antifungal cream.
When I had crotch rot and that's what the doctor told me to use (He recommended Lotrimine).

If it's not actual crotch rot, just chaffing or heat rash I'd recommend an occasional wipe down with a damp cloth and some form of talcum powder.

I've used everything from baby powder to shaving talc. (I normally use Gold Bond now). - It's also good for any other areas that might be bugging you.

oops56
2007-05-18, 01:59
I used Johnson first aid cream for years works fast in 30 min. relieve

Iceman
2007-05-18, 02:29
I am also a "big guy", and hike and hunt all year. I prepare for any trip by applying a tiny amount of anti fungal for a couple of days before going out, seems to help.... Also, I have found that any sweat in the undies causes major problems for chafing etc... I try to change the ol' loin cloth if really sweaty, before trouble starts.... (sorry ladies)

I carry a few moist baby wipes for the occasional "de-sweating of the zone" as well as carry a bit of (no laughs) desitin diaper rash creme for when problems "blossom". This stuff works wonders (and keeps me baby fresh!)

Enough of this "wussy" talk, lets talk guns, or killing stuff or something!!!:evil: :evil:

deadeye
2007-05-18, 09:35
Enough of this "wussy" talk, lets talk guns, or killing stuff or something!!!:evil: :evil:

C'mon Iceman, it takes a real man to talk about feelings and... stuff.puke:

Anyway, this is serious business. The cure is anti-fungal creams as discussed... they kill the baddies in your groin. The prevention, for me at least, is either going commando, or wearing lycra shorts (biker shorts without the pads, ala Ray Jardine) combined with a nice shot of Gold Bond powder. Sometimes I sweat so much that going commando is actually less comfortable.:reddy: but you probably didn't want to know that either.

Maybe you were right, I think I need to go shoot something, or at least split some wood, or get in the pickup and have a beer.:beer:

BigJohn
2007-05-18, 12:46
he he...wussy or no, as long as I can keep you guys talking (even the verbose) I'm learning something.:biggrin:

Guess I had a different idea of what crotch-rot was. (The whole fungus thing never entered my mind) Was thinking more along the lines of preventing heat rashes I...but in any case I'll put the info to good use. Thanks,

deadeye
2007-05-18, 17:03
There are a number of problems regarding the nether regions, from just plain chafing, to fungal infections (jock itch, the same as athlete's foot), to nasty things like twisted testes and worse:afraid: . thank the hiking gods I haven't had anything like that:adore: . But it seems that most of the minor "discomforts" respond to the same treatments.

Oh, and when conditions permit, bathing and letting the sun shine in can be another part of the proverbial "ounce of prevention" arsenal

Mutinousdoug
2007-05-19, 00:28
To expand on Deadeye's post;
Clean(dry) clothes, sunshine and fresh air are a pretty good remedy for skin ailments in general. Assuming you can exercize these options without alarming the native population.
Heat rash (my Mom called it "prickly heat") and fungal infection: i.e. athlete's foot/crotch rot, are two different ailments. Gold bond for the former and Lotrimin for the later. Although I have a heck of a time applying powder between my legs without making it look like I'm trying to spackle the whole forest/mountian side.

dropkick
2007-05-19, 00:33
I carry a few moist baby wipes for the occasional "de-sweating of the zone" as well as carry a bit of (no laughs) desitin diaper rash creme for when problems "blossom". This stuff works wonders (and keeps me baby fresh!)

When I use baby powder I always try to catch a mountain lion so I can use it's tail as a powder puff.
No wussy stuff here!!

Iceman
2007-05-19, 01:36
We just use squirrels. Hold all their little squirrel legs together and they puff up like a little powder ball. Powder them up, then "poof" yourself in the crotch a few times for even coverage. This really pisses the squirrels off, watch out cause they start to bite at your junk...little bastards....

Bear
2007-05-19, 11:47
SQUIRRELS!!!!!:ahhhhh:
Better be careful Iceman, don't you know squirrels eat nuts!:laugh:

atraildreamer
2007-05-19, 15:20
Gold Bond (or one of the countless knockoffs) powder.You'll know its working when you start screaming! :ahhhhh:

dropkick
2007-05-19, 20:37
Gold Bond (or one of the countless knockoffs) powder.You'll know its working when you start screaming! :ahhhhh:
That menthol is a real eye opener.
The sting does wear off shortly if you just wait it out. I've also found it helps if you dance around on your tip toes and go AAAAHHH in a high pitched voice.

The trick for those who wish to avoid this is to use it BEFORE the rash.

For the uninitiated and non masochists baby powder or some type of body powder might be a better choice.
Corn starch or rice flour also work.

I live with the sting as I feel it helps sanitize the wounds caused by my powder puff (see previous posts).

MalTheElder
2007-05-20, 12:11
All good ideas.

The anti-fungal cremes work well to relieve rashes. Desitin is especially good at preventing problems (IMHO) because it is also a moisture barrier. This helps prevent the dear little fungi from taking hold. Corn starch or (better) Gold Bond are also good, and more comforting (at least to me) than the cremes. As always, YMMV, so try 'em at home to see what works for you.

Squish-squish,
Half Step

:bath:

JAK
2007-05-20, 13:04
Enough of this "wussy" talk, lets talk guns, or killing stuff or something!!!:evil: :evil:LOL
I was watching a western last night and wondered why they never list the model and manufacturer of the firearms when they role the credits. Also wondering who is responsible for supplying the firearms. Is that what a gaffer does? :gob_pop

Buggyman
2007-05-20, 19:56
Hey BigJohn, that's my real first name too. There are a lot of us Johns around. I would say you first have to determine if your problem is fungal in nature or more of a friction/heat issue. If it is fungal go with an anti-fungal cream such as Lotrimin. Pardon my French in the following sentence, but we are all adults here, and this is a medical problem. I've had problems in the testicle-leg interface area so to speak. I thought my problem was fungal, but Lotrimin didn't help, so I came to the conclusion that my problem was friction in that area. I remembered something I used to put on my son's butt many years ago called A and D Lotion. Basically it's just Vaseline with a few extra ingredients. Anyway, it solved my problem! And it's cheap too!

GGS
2007-05-21, 18:15
LOL
Also wondering who is responsible for supplying the firearms. Is that what a gaffer does? :gob_pop

I think a gaffer is the lighting engineer. A prop master would supply the props...

GGS
2007-05-21, 18:19
Hello, not sure if this is a taboo subject or not. Could not find any direct references to it in the forum so I'll go ahead and ask.

This has proven to be a helpful subject. My last summer of backpacking led to a case of crotch-rot that took a trip to the Doc to remedy. There is some good preventative ideas here.

Iceman
2007-05-21, 19:59
Continueing on the topic of your "Junk", here is an excerpt from an article I read awhile back, absolutely frighteneing.....:ahhhhh:

A young guide we met on Mt. Rainier experienced an outdoorsman's worst nightmare: He woke up to a twisted testis high on a mountain. The condition occurs when a testicle twists within the scrotum, cutting off the blood supply, causing excruciating pain, and threatening the life of this vital gland. Unfortunately, torsion of the testis can result from seemingly innocuous movements like rolling over in your sleeping bag or from physical strain, such as hoisting a heavy pack. Early symptoms include pain and a red, swollen scrotum. The testis may also appear slightly elevated on the affected side.

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,5325_P,00.html

Oy Vey!!!!:afraid: :nurse: :shot: Just shoot me. I can't go on....

Mutinousdoug
2007-05-21, 22:47
Loathe as I am to participate in a hi-jacking of the original thread...(no I'm not)
SUREly there is some 1st aid method of turning the offending fellow toward the light using some handy camping utensil like a Bic pen or a Swiss army knife??? Spork, anybody?
Heavy medication would be nice.

Kea
2007-05-22, 10:16
Loathe as I am to participate in a hi-jacking of the original thread...(no I'm not)
SUREly there is some 1st aid method of turning the offending fellow toward the light using some handy camping utensil like a Bic pen or a Swiss army knife??? Spork, anybody?
Heavy medication would be nice.

The link says that they tend to turn inward, and that turning them outward again fixes it. Not having such adornments, I am not the least bit capable of commenting on the effectiveness of this wisdom--I'd suggest booze and a buddy.

deadeye
2007-05-22, 12:43
--I'd suggest booze and a buddy.

... and the punch line is: "You're gonna die!":biggrin:

john pickett
2007-05-22, 13:38
A few years ago, I was hiking/camping on Cumberland Island off the Georgia-Florida coast. One night as I prepared to crawl in my bag (pre-hammock) I did an all-over rub down to check for ticks. To my horror, I found a tiny one on the backside of my (excuse the french) scrotum. With a headlamp and tweezers, I was able to remove it and toss it from the tent. The next day I recounted the episode to friends at breakfast. They unanimously agreed it was a good thing I had been able to get it off, because I would have had it there till it dropped off otherwise.:afraid:
John Pickett

atraildreamer
2007-05-23, 16:32
The trick for those who wish to avoid this is to use it BEFORE the rash.

For the uninitiated and non masochists baby powder or some type of body powder might be a better choice.
Corn starch or rice flour also work.

Most baby powder is made of cornstarch. I get a box of cornstarch and mix it with a Gold Bond knockoff powder at a 50-50% ratio. (Save an empty powder container.) I then get two containers of a very effective anti-rash powder for under 2 bucks! :bootyshak What can I say! I'm conservative! {Translation: "Conservative=Cheap"}) :biggrin:

GGS
2007-10-27, 22:57
Well with this summer being so hot I had a LOT of problems with friction and sweat in the crotch area. So much so that I was pretty much done hiking after a couple of days because I was so raw I could hardly walk.

A true LNT person doesn't use soap. However I am conceding that I'm going to have to bring some biodegradable soap and some sort of washcloth and use it for a twice-a-day good bathing of the nether regions.

I'm also finding the hot sponge bath without soap idea is failing for the rest of me. I still feel uncomfortably grimy, bad enough that I can't wait to get home and take a shower. I'm going to have to add soap...

dropkick
2007-10-28, 02:39
My father was raised on a ranch without running water indoors.
He bathed once a week along with 17 other siblings.
They took turns at the tub.
They tried to only fill the tub twice during this weekly ritual.
However they took sponge baths daily.

I was raised to at least give myself a sponge bath with soap and water every morning, just like my father does.

Normally when camping I don't warm the water unless the temperature is below freezing. Even then I have occasionally broken ice off the surface and washed with cold water or even snow.

Washing prevents infections, rashes, and other skin irritations. Which makes it a good idea from the perspective of keeping healthy.

On top of that you smell and feel better.

I think the idea of not washing is a throw back to 1960's rebellion, and while it might be more "natural" I don't think it's very smart.

MacEntyre
2007-10-28, 09:10
[I]A young guide we met on Mt. Rainier experienced an outdoorsman's worst nightmare: He woke up to a twisted testis high on a mountain.
Forty some years ago, that happened to me while on a boy scout camping trip to Morrow Mountain, when the temperature reached a record 9 degF. Huge swelling, lots of pain. They did not treat it as an emergency. I had to wait for the whole troop to break camp. The family doctor fixed it, but not because he knew what he was doing. A couple of years later, it happened again. The head of the urology dept at the local teaching hospital did some quick research and figured it out, fixing it just prior to emergency surgery! I went home to let the drugs wear off. They scheduled surgery to fix it later.

Turns out that about 30% of males lack a tie down on one or both of the jewels, so they can get themselves in a bind. Testicular Tortion is no fun!

CoyoteWhips
2007-10-28, 12:26
Well, it's not for everybody, but I haven't had a rash since I stopped eating meat. My theory is that it put something in my sweat that bacteria thrived on. Turns out that deodorant is also optional, now, depending on how much dairy I've had recently.

Iceman
2007-10-29, 09:39
:ahhhhh: TWICE!!!???

MOTHER OF CREATURES BIG AND SMALL!!!!!! SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME!!!!!

GGS
2007-10-29, 15:27
:ahhhhh: TWICE!!!???

MOTHER OF CREATURES BIG AND SMALL!!!!!! SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME!!!!!

(sigh) Yes, my hardcore backpacking mentality is slowly eroding... Next thing you know I'll be trading my Hennessy in for a 5th wheeler...

CoyoteWhips
2007-10-29, 17:22
Turns out that about 30% of males lack a tie down on one or both of the jewels, so they can get themselves in a bind. Testicular Tortion is no fun!

They had a very special episode of Venture Bros. (http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=90297e00a1fadb09aa33e1ab1d5f0104) dealing with just that problem.

pure_mahem
2007-10-29, 21:36
quick fix in the field......anybody got a needle and thread,LMFAO!This may sting a little,LMFAO!

Hollowdweller
2007-11-05, 17:15
For the crotch rot anti fungal stuff works.

For the chafing my wife got this roll on stuff to prevent blisters from Campmor. I tried it on the inside of the legs and it worked:adore: Also get the shorts with the net built in and don't wear underwear!

This summer was so damn hot it was terrible for both problems.

My wife and I also picked up some sort of a rash on the backs of our necks that we are only finally beating. Not even sure where we got it. Possibly swimming in a very still river during the drought:afraid:

Iceman
2007-11-10, 10:06
Here is a pleasant thought; I had to break out the ol' diaper rash creme to put down a serious case of monkeybutt-thunderthighburger. Had the ol' sweaty inflamed raw inner thigh burger. Cleanse with baby wipes, treat with monkeybutt creme and I was good to go the next morning. Kept better control of the issue for the next seven days. :reddy: :nurse: :bootyshak

Manach
2007-11-10, 12:14
Zeasorb powders to take care of fungus, Gold Bond every couple hours while heading down the trail. You get used to the stinging, chilling sensation.

Wipe down with wet wipes every night, and use them along with toilet paper after a "movement."

You're going to get heat rashes, just diminish the effects with Gold Bond. But you gotta get everything dry as often as possible (skin as well as clothing).

SGT Rock
2007-11-11, 09:59
I haven't tried it yet - but I hear that olive oil helps.

MrSparex
2007-11-11, 10:07
SQUIRRELS!!!!!:ahhhhh:
Better be careful Iceman, don't you know squirrels eat nuts!:laugh:
That was quick thinking! Jay Leno and David Letterman are currently looking for good writers and it pays big time!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dropkick
2007-11-12, 02:44
I haven't tried it yet - but I hear that olive oil helps.
Yes, but then you have to watch out for the fickle broads' insanely jealous boyfriend Popeye. --Not to mention what Dixie Chick might do to you if she catches you showing your bare bum to another woman.... No matter how innocent it might be...

:ahhhhh:

Iceman
2007-11-12, 09:36
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Geo.
2007-11-21, 16:40
Hey guys, what's all this talk about dealing to fungus?
Adapt, let it thrive - think of it as an answer to the logistics of food supply...mmm, mushrooms.... ;)

pure_mahem
2007-11-21, 18:17
This will definately make you think next time.....these mushrooms taste really fresh....yup I just picked 'em, LOL!

Amigi
2007-11-21, 20:08
That was a good laugh. We gotst us some jokers here. :D

Hollowdweller
2007-11-30, 12:05
I wish you could get Gold Bond in a small backpackable size.

Maybe I could put some in a saltshaker?

pure_mahem
2007-11-30, 18:35
I've seen the travel size ones but you really have to look for them!

Iceman
2007-11-30, 21:07

Maybe I could put some in a saltshaker?

Maybe you could just let sombody else apply it for you..., no....maybe your'e right, some kind of dispenser....

I know you definitely do not want to mix up the salt with the goldbond. Would make for a memorable meal and after meal spaz' attack...

dropkick
2007-11-30, 21:59
I just listed a ton of sites you could buy Gold Bond travel size from and then when trying to click off of one of the sites I clicked the wrong tab and lost everything I'd done.
So now you get 2 sites - Amazon because I still had it open in another tab and Minimus because it has been recommended several times by different hikers.

www.amazon.com (www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Medicated-Powder-oz/dp/B000TTNBZS)

www.minimus.biz (www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=791)

If you want more options you can do a search for "travel size". I found lots of sites.
I've also seen it at Walmart.

atraildreamer
2007-12-01, 12:05

Walmart...CVS...Walgreens... 1 ounce size, in a bright orange container, for ~$1. Being conservative (cheap :biggrin: ) I refill it from a larger container of a knockoff brand I got from the $ store.

Hollowdweller
2007-12-03, 18:15
I just listed a ton of sites you could buy Gold Bond travel size from and then when trying to click off of one of the sites I clicked the wrong tab and lost everything I'd done.
So now you get 2 sites - Amazon because I still had it open in another tab and Minimus because it has been recommended several times by different hikers.

www.amazon.com (www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Medicated-Powder-oz/dp/B000TTNBZS)

www.minimus.biz (www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=791)

If you want more options you can do a search for "travel size". I found lots of sites.
I've also seen it at Walmart.

Hey! Thanks Dropkick! Never seen it in that size. You rock:adore:

Iceman? LMAO!! Good one!

pure_mahem
2007-12-03, 19:58
Walmart...CVS...Walgreens... 1 ounce size, in a bright orange container, for ~$1. Being conservative (cheap :biggrin: ) I refill it from a larger container of a knockoff brand I got from the $ store.
you refill your condiment bottles in the same maner don't you...lol

pure_mahem
2007-12-03, 20:03
I saw a video on another site where the person said that a hemrhoid suppository can be worth a hundred dollars on the trail, anybody gonna admit to using them or there value? just in case I bought some and threw a couple in my first aid kit don't think I will ever use em though.

Iceman
2007-12-03, 23:52
Har har har...poor kid.....

Let's talk about suppositories! I am so glad!

After I broke my back in a fall on a construction site, the doctor wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I could pass some gas.... (I know..."I thought you were going to talk about suppositories"...be patient, I am getting there....) Anyway, I have a reputation that reaches far and wide about my ability to pass gas on command. :biggrin: So I blow off a poof, not a room clearer mind you, just a respectable thump....Doctor gives me the OK to go home...he prescribes some major class laxative suppositories... It turns out that when you fall a great distance, the slam disrupts your ability to digest food, shuts down your intestines, and generally messes you up...., sort of like dropping a bag of flour. Well, I get wheeled out of the hospital with a gross of these missle shaped ass boomers. Very degrading. For god's sake man, you may as well make them phallus shaped and dress me in plaid slacks. Here I am supposed to cram these missles where the sun don't shine, to allay the combined effects of the fall, and the narcotic pain relievers they had me on.... Like on a concrete pumping job, in order to keep the mud flowing you have to "lube the tube" and these butt missles did the job :biggrin:

Sorry, got a little off track....

pure_mahem
2007-12-04, 01:34
I don't know if I'd ever use one but I'd love to sell one to someone for a c note. When I used to bounce there was this one guy coming around does anybody got a rubber after about an hour I gave in and sold him the one I got for free at OzFest, easiest sixty bucks I ever made,LOL!
I here you on the missile shape I looked inside the box. Good thing about buying them at the dollar store they just count the items they don't really look to see what they are,lol.

SGT Rock
2007-12-04, 18:29
Har har har...poor kid.....

Let's talk about suppositories! I am so glad!

After I broke my back in a fall on a construction site, the doctor wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I could pass some gas.... (I know..."I thought you were going to talk about suppositories"...be patient, I am getting there....) Anyway, I have a reputation that reaches far and wide about my ability to pass gas on command. :biggrin: So I blow off a poof, not a room clearer mind you, just a respectable thump....Doctor gives me the OK to go home...he prescribes some major class laxative suppositories... It turns out that when you fall a great distance, the slam disrupts your ability to digest food, shuts down your intestines, and generally messes you up...., sort of like dropping a bag of flour. Well, I get wheeled out of the hospital with a gross of these missle shaped ass boomers. Very degrading. For god's sake man, you may as well make them phallus shaped and dress me in plaid slacks. Here I am supposed to cram these missles where the sun don't shine, to allay the combined effects of the fall, and the narcotic pain relievers they had me on.... Like on a concrete pumping job, in order to keep the mud flowing you have to "lube the tube" and these butt missles did the job :biggrin:

Sorry, got a little off track....
Damn that was fun to read.

MrSparex
2007-12-04, 20:18
Point taken...
I don't like to be wrong (I prefer to be right) however your correct that it could be hurtful in more than one point. Hiking is supposed to be a way of getting away from the stress and problems of life. It should be refreshing and fun . It should be that and much more. I also don't want someone to show up here and find anything that would take away from them enjoying their visit.
Let me replace it with this poem I wrote!
Roses are red.
Violets are purple.
Sugar is sweet...
and so's maple surple!
LOL LOL LOL!

Iceman
2007-12-04, 22:56
Well said MrSparex! And Thank's Rock, I like to keep my readers pleased!

atraildreamer
2007-12-27, 11:50
you refill your condiment bottles in the same maner don't you...lol

Good point...being as conservative(cheap:biggrin: )as I am, I should try for the Sgt. Rock $300 challenge!

Wise Old Owl
2008-01-11, 01:32
:bootyshak :bootyshak
We just use squirrels. Hold all their little squirrel legs together and they puff up like a little powder ball. Powder them up, then "poof" yourself in the crotch a few times for even coverage. This really pisses the squirrels off, watch out cause they start to bite at your junk...little bastards....

Ohh man I almost Shiet myself reading this ... thank you for a good belly laugh... I can bearly type....

On a real note after much frustration in this area I wear a different kind of underwear, a polypro or bergalene short that has a hugging leg to it that prevents any chafing. Never Cotton.

wanderer42460
2008-01-12, 06:21

New to hiking, I'm a big guy and I need to know how to deal with rashes? What kind of clothes do you recommend, and other fixes/preventative measures?

Shea Butter in my opinion is the best for this and then follow up with a daily powdering of Gold Bond.

Rick
2008-01-12, 09:29
I carry either Beaudroux's Butt Paste or Desinex. I also use Body Glide several times per day to avoid heat rash. If it is too late and the pain is there, then you really need diaper rash cream with zinc to ease the pain and burning.
I used Gold Bond over the years, but really like body glide better. Besides, it's tough to get the taste of Gold Bond off the squirrel after using it to powder your butt, .

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 14:46
guys - ARE NONE OF YOU PARENTS? I didn't see anyone else post this most obvious solution to crotch rot so I will mention it to help out.

The antifungals do absolutely diddly when you first get the rot - you have to get it clean and dry first. Many people can in fact have the adverse reactions to the antifungals - not something you want to find out on the trail - so try them at home first:

Clotrimazol (oral antifungal):
Adverse Reactions
Oral:

>10%: Hepatic: Abnormal liver function tests

1% to 10%:

Gastrointestinal: Nausea and vomiting may occur in patients on clotrimazole troches

Local: Mild burning, irritation, stinging to skin or vaginal area

Vaginal:

1% to 10%: Genitourinary: Vulvar/vaginal burning

<1% (Limited to important or life-threatening): Vulvar itching, soreness, edema, or discharge; polyuria; burning or itching of penis of sexual partner

Tolnaftate (Lots of brands have this too):
can cause local skin irritation and sensitization (can be hard to tell from a fungal infection so you keep using it even after the fungus is gone and you are still hurting.)

Patient Information
Tell patient to cleanse skin with soap and water and dry thoroughly before applying.
Emphasize to use only externally in small amounts massaged well into affected area and surrounding skin.
Instruct patient to wash hands before and after applying medication.
Tell patient to avoid contact with eyes.
Advise patient to wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes and to change shoes and socks at least daily.
Tell patient not to cover treated site with bandages unless ordered specifically by health care provider.
Instruct patient to notify health care provider if there has been no apparent improvement after 10 days of treatment.
Emphasize that product should not be used on nail and scalp infections unless using in addition to internal medication prescribed by health care provider.
Tell patient to store at room temperature and not in bathroom (especially powders).
Instruct patient to report these symptoms to health care provider: persistent or severe irritation, itching, rash, stinging.

Butenafine Hydrochloride (Lotramin ultra):
Adverse Reactions
Worsening of condition, burning, stinging, itching (1%).

Vaseline is great for relieving chafing and helping to prevent it. (It's also great to put on a cotton ball for starting a roaring fire in damp conditions.)

But, Desitin, A+D Ointment, and Balmex Diaper creames are the answer to crotch rot. Be sure to get the kind with zinc oxide. Zinc oxide coats your skin to provide a waterproof layer. Without moisture - the fungus dies, or goes dormant enough for the antifungals to be able to handle it.

I also couldn't find ANY adverse reactions to zinc oxide when used topically (except if you put it in your eyes).

In fact, ePocrates drug lookup shows this regarding Desitin:

Desitin: Adverse Reactions
Serious ReactionsThis information is currently unavailable or not applicable for this drug.

Common ReactionsThis information is currently unavailable or not applicable for this drug.

Credit years of summer camp taking care of boys who run jump swim, and don't dry off for this gem. It takes the rot out of your crotch, (and makes it harder for the guy playing banjo music to find you!) :o

GGS
2008-01-15, 15:21
OUCH! WHAT'S UP WITH oh sorry 'bout that. What's up with the loud size 6 font??

Good information though.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 15:28
there was so much informative junk, wanted to make sure ppl could find the point - zinc oxide is a miracle cure if you have ever had 'the rot'

pure_mahem
2008-01-15, 19:31
So would it make sense to use an antifungal as a prevenative treatment before going on the trail? Like say knowing you weren't alergic or had adverse reaction to the antifungal. If you applied it starting 2-3 days before you were headed out would it prevent the latter condition?

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-15, 22:01
Rather than a prophylactic application of antifungal, I would recommend you keep yourself and "yer privates" clean and dry. If you start to develop a rash - zinc oxide is an easy answer - and 1/2 oz of that goes a LONG way.

Iceman
2008-01-16, 00:49
So the squirrels are out?

pure_mahem
2008-01-16, 03:45
I figure I'll just have to hike in a mini skirt with no undies. maybe I'll tie a flag some where so when someone asks me are you pervert I can so No I'm playing capture the flag and this it the best place I could think of to hide it!

dixicritter
2008-01-16, 09:50
Now there's an image...LOL.

Iceman
2008-01-16, 09:54
Unless someone mistakes you for playing flag football and gives it a yank! :argh: :saint:

bish777
2008-01-16, 20:06
Shea Butter in my opinion is the best for this and then follow up with a daily powdering of Gold Bond.

Mmmmm sounds quite appetising!

As a preventative measure a medical grade anti persprant like odaban stops sweating and the resultant rashes and chafing.

JAK
2008-01-16, 20:50
I got a prescription for some suppositories once.
For all the good they did I may as well have stuck them up me.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-17, 00:47
Mmmmm sounds quite appetising!

As a preventative measure a medical grade anti persprant like odaban stops sweating and the resultant rashes and chafing.

Odaban is Aluminum based - most formulations of this include an astringent - which can burn and sting on an existing erythematous area. In addition, it can cause many of the symptoms you are trying to prevent. As a general rule, I try to apply underarm antiperspirants and deodorants to my axilla.

The zinc oxide formulas were made for perineal use on babies, I figure they are pretty safe for teens and adults. I don't recall Aluminum being in vitamins, but Zinc is.

A related joke:

A blonde went to her local drug store and asked for "bottom deodorant".

The pharmacist insisted they had no such thing.

To which she replied in a huff: "I'll just go get it and show you."

Shortly she returned with a stick of deodorant, and he told her: "Ma'am, this is for your arms."

She replied indignantly that it was BOTTOM DEODORANT. "See, right here it says "TO APPLY, PUSH UP BOTTOM"!

For reference I give you the info on Odaban from the cosmetic safety database:

Aluminum chloride has been shown to increase the incidence of cancer in subject groups; cause developmental and reproductive abnormalities; cause organ system toxicity (non-reproductive; cause skin irritation in lungs, eyes, and skin; exhibits neurotoxicity; causes endocrine disruption; and is a proven occupational hazard in some jobs. However, these adverse reactions occur in less than 2% of the population, so it is considered a low risk chemical. What you have to ask yourself is: Are you one of one hundred or not?

Medication treatments (for hyperhydrosis, e.g. sweatin' like a pig)
• Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate) solution: Common brands of aluminum chloride solution (as antiperspirant) include, MegaDry® (which uses a non-irritating blend of aluminum chlorohydrate), B+Drier®, Odaban®, Sweat-Stop forte® and Driclor®. While aluminum chloride is used in regular antiperspirants, Hyperhydrosis sufferers need a much higher concentration to effectively treat the symptoms of the condition. A 15% aluminum chloride solution or higher usually takes about a week of nightly use to stop the sweating, with one or two nightly applications per week to maintain the results. An aluminum chloride solution can be very effective; some people, however, cannot tolerate the irritation that it can cause but these constitute a minority of all patients. Also, the solution is usually not effective for palmar (hand) and plantar (foot) Hyperhydrosis - for which iontophoresis (that's usin 'lectricity to drive that nasty chemical clean into your body) may yield better results in some circumstances.

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-17, 00:50
I got a prescription for some suppositories once.
For all the good they did I may as well have stuck them up me.

Sooooooooooo,

How did they taste?

john pickett
2008-01-17, 02:31
YR,
He didn't eat them, silly; he inhaled them.:afraid:
john pickett

Wise Old Owl
2008-01-21, 16:20

Totally unecessary, A small bottle of Listerine to first kill the germs and dry the skin, pat dry with TP add regular Corn starch powder to get it really dry. Leave yur crotch Minty Fresh - No Pain.:bootyshak

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-22, 00:10
Totally unecessary, A small bottle of Listerine to first kill the germs and dry the skin, pat dry with TP add regular Corn starch powder to get it really dry. Leave yur crotch Minty Fresh - No Pain.:bootyshak

you MUST be as flexible as my cat if you KNOW that!

scoutdad
2008-01-25, 13:41
I'm a stocky build guy and used to have a real problem with inner thigh chafing when hiking as well as playing golf in humid climates. Have been wearing UnderArmour compression shorts for a couple of years now and the problem has been completely eliminated. When on the trail I rinse them out at the end of the day and they are usually completely dry next morning.

Rick
2008-01-27, 18:25
I figure I'll just have to hike in a mini skirt with no undies.....
Wow!!! Are you hot????? :adore:

Rick
2008-01-27, 18:31
Wow!!! Are you hot????? :adore:
Oh Yuck!!!!! I'm Completely Grossed out now!! Your a dude!!!!!! Is there a Gag me vomit Icon anywhere?????:ahhhhh:

pure_mahem
2008-01-27, 21:15
Would you prefer I call it a kilt? LOL! Hey let me know what bar you go to I'll find a really cute girl with a deep voice to dance with you!LOL!

MalTheElder
2008-01-28, 09:49
I'll find a really cute girl with a deep voice to dance with you!LOL!

Shouldn't that be LOLA?

:thrasher:
Mal

yuppie_redneck
2008-01-28, 17:03
Shouldn't that be LOLA?

:thrasher:
Mal

Lola with banjo music in the background!

What happens on the trail STAYS on the trail!

dixicritter
2008-01-28, 20:06
Oh y'all are just wrong! LMAO

pure_mahem
2008-01-28, 22:36
I just could not resist....."can you squeel like a pig...oink...oink, oink here piggy piggy" LMFAO!

Wise Old Owl
2008-02-20, 03:07
I'm a stocky build guy and used to have a real problem with inner thigh chafing when hiking as well as playing golf in humid climates. Have been wearing UnderArmour compression shorts for a couple of years now and the problem has been completely eliminated. When on the trail I rinse them out at the end of the day and they are usually completely dry next morning.

Honest, that really works up to a point, on a long hike I would still take the Zinc Oxide in Petroleum. I also just saw a new product of Prep H in a confortable wipe.

Onkel Bob
2008-02-21, 02:06
Just joined and noticed the thread and thought I add this...
Ex Officio clothing is the cat's meow for me. The pants have a mesh underwear built into them. These are great as the sweat/perspiration wicks away quickly. I bring one pair that I rinse/was every day in the field. They dry quickly - in about 1/2 hour in the sun. Because I hike almost exclusively in the high Sierra, I bring a rain/wind overpants. I wear these while my pants are drying. Avoid cotton underwear as it keeps the moiture next to the skin.
I have the convertible versions that allow you to zip off the legs into shorts.
The frau is a MD (although she's a researcher not practioner) and she seconds the zinc oxide advice. I get prickly heat once in a while and this is dermatitis - inflammation of the skin. Zinc oxide does a good job of treating this condition. Fungal infections need a stronger medication. the ones mentioned here are good.
The way to identify what you have is the symptoms, fungal infections will not cause the skin to initially swell. The skin will be irritated and discolored in a more contained manner. Dermatitis is widespread with swelling and a chaotic pattern, that is some areas will be afflicted, then nothing, then usually lesser degree of swelling.
Finally, widespread rash with a defined geometric patterns is usually a reaction to a plant. Usually you'll have lines, parallel to each other extending from point of contact. This usually needs to be treated with a steroid cream. Zinc oxide may offer some relief, anti-fungal medications will do more harm then good.

bfitz
2008-02-21, 14:38
Anti-fungal powder spray. Tough-actin tinactin. The creams are too wet and contribute to the problem, dryness is key.

sailingsoul
2008-02-21, 20:02
Oh Yuck!!!!! I'm Completely Grossed out now!! Your a dude!!!!!! Is there a Gag me vomit Icon anywhere?????:ahhhhh:
Maybe He's Scottish, that's legal there!
In the states, you mean like this :puke:puke:puke: