PDA

View Full Version : Boot Question For Sgt Rock

Buggyman
2007-05-20, 02:30
I was watching one of my favorite tv shows, Mail Call, the other day and the "Old Gunny" was highlighting some of the gear you military guys were using in Iraq. He mentioned the Oakley Men's S.I. Assault Boot 8 that apparently is standard issue over there. What is your opinion of this boot sarge? Would it be ok for backpacking? It is actually available to civilians for about $170, which is a little expensive. There was a time early in my backpacking career when I used G.I. jungle boots that I bought from an Army/Navy store. Now I stick to trail runners, but the jungle boots weren't too bad. If any of you are interested to see what our guys are using over there, just google Oakley Men's S.I. Assualt boot 8!

dixicritter
2007-05-20, 20:01
Buggyman, I just asked SGT Rock about this post and he said he's never worn a pair and they are definately not standard Army issue. He said no one he knows has been issued them anyway. However, he does know one guy that bought a pair and he's a "geardo". LOL.

Sorry he couldn't answer you directly right now, but hope this helps a little bit.

(FYI... to find out about a "geardo" google Bob on the Fob Geardo, I guarantee a good laugh.)

dropkick
2007-05-20, 23:39
Geardo plus (www.bobonthefob.com/pastbob.html)

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-23, 14:11
I want a pair of these boots, I just can't find out too much about them and don't want to leap before I look.

Anyone have an opinion on them?

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=5509&TabID=1&CatID=6

Take-a-knee
2007-05-23, 16:57
A pair of 8in. tall Danner Acadias is a far superior boot, similar ankle support, same waterproofness (though 2in shorter) and nearly 2# lighter. The Acadias are available uninsulated, with 200gm and 400gm(?) insulation. If you want more leather and more ankle support, look at the Danner Elk Hunter or the Lowa Sheephunter.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-24, 17:01
A pair of 8in. tall Danner Acadias is a far superior boot, similar ankle support, same waterproofness (though 2in shorter) and nearly 2# lighter. The Acadias are available uninsulated, with 200gm and 400gm(?) insulation. If you want more leather and more ankle support, look at the Danner Elk Hunter or the Lowa Sheephunter.

These seem nice.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=96495&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

But I was looking for something more multi purpose, they seem like a warmer weather boot, but I think you know more about boots then I do.

Take-a-knee
2007-05-24, 17:54
Boots are boots, even heavy leather boots will freeze your feet in a deerstand. That thinsulate stuff really works, on a morning near freezing, 200 gram thinsulate keeps my feet "comfortably cool". Any colder than that, I need 400gm, or I just wear my "boot blankets". Once you get down below 0 Farenheit the only thing that will keep you feet warm sitting still is a pair of Mickey Mouse (vapor barrier) boots. The downside to thinsulate is you'll get more blisters if you wear them on a hot day, 'cause they hold more heat in, and heat produces blisters. Also, if you step in water over the top of the boot, the goretex acts like a bucket, and the thinsulate makes a good sponge, they take a long time to dry out. A pair of uninsulated Acadias, sized with a liner sock and a thick smartwool sock, is, in my opinion the most versatile boot, but your feet will be cold on a frosty morning sitting still.

Iceman
2007-05-25, 00:45
You are all going to think I am crazy, (I know, you already think I am crazy...) but take a look at these "boots". I have hunted and hiked in these for the past three years and am getting to love these; http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020767811948a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=speed+hunter&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=speed+hunter&noImage=0

$99 and only just over three pounds for the pair. I now have two pairs...

Extremely comfotable. And I have hiked my over 300 pound body in these things all over hill and dale, and finally blew out some stiches in them last fall draggin a deer down and out a very very steep area. Cobbler fixed em' for 20$. That is three years of hunting/hiking etc... in heat, rain, rock and mud, flat, steep, for under $100. Finally bought the second after the first ripped a thread.... Very happy with this boot.

Rhino-lfl
2007-05-25, 13:00
You are all going to think I am crazy, (I know, you already think I am crazy...) but take a look at these "boots". I have hunted and hiked in these for the past three years and am getting to love these; http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020767811948a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=speed+hunter&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=speed+hunter&noImage=0

$99 and only just over three pounds for the pair. I now have two pairs...

Extremely comfotable. And I have hiked my over 300 pound body in these things all over hill and dale, and finally blew out some stiches in them last fall draggin a deer down and out a very very steep area. Cobbler fixed em' for 20$. That is three years of hunting/hiking etc... in heat, rain, rock and mud, flat, steep, for under $100. Finally bought the second after the first ripped a thread.... Very happy with this boot.

Hmm, the results for reviews were pretty much a 5 or a 1 lol, seems like luck of the draw on quality. I looked at these (off your link http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_811948&id=0026541812159a) and they said the same thing.

I think it might be a trip to the surplus store to get a pair of black canvas jungle boots. Great soles, can't waterproof them to save you life though. But summer use and for $25 ... http://www.armybarracks.com/shopDetails.asp?CatId=63&SubCatId=294&ProductId=569