PDA

View Full Version : Water

oops56
2007-06-02, 20:48
Now how long will water last in a sigg bottle its made for water in a car trunk or in car.Not that bottle buy ones.I am making a bob bag for the car for to make some coffee or cook some noddles at any time i feel like it need just pull to side road and do it.

Mutinousdoug
2007-06-02, 23:27
oops.
If it's not sterile when you put it in, it will grow stuff unless poisoned i.e. (chlorine/iodine) or frozen. If sterile, and the seal is airtight, you're good to go until the seal is broken.

oops56
2007-06-02, 23:38
oops.
If it's not sterile when you put it in, it will grow stuff unless poisoned i.e. (chlorine/iodine) or frozen. If sterile, and the seal is airtight, you're good to go until the seal is broken.

do you mean boil first?

dropkick
2007-06-03, 00:06
Rinse the bottle with a lite bleach/water solution before filling it to sanitize the bottle and the water in it will last a long time. (Don't rinse with pure water before filling - you want a small trace of the bleach left in the bottle when you fill it.)
I've drunk water that has been stored this way for 2 or more years and it didn't even taste stale.

-You should also store the water in a dark area, or in a bottle light can't pass through, as this will keep anything that was in the water when you bottled it (algea, etc.) from growing.

Added with edit- Boiling would work if you filled the bottle with the boiling water, but it also makes the water taste flat.

oops56
2007-06-03, 00:47
Yep ok these sigg bottles are alum. with a liner made for water only mybe cool aid:beer:

Mutinousdoug
2007-06-03, 00:52
I think Dropkick is right that in a dark environment not much stuff in tap water is likely to grow. Just not enough nutrients in clear water to support life without photosynthysis (sp?) i. A drop or two of chlorine would help to normalize your mix although humankind drank alot of untreated water before anyone ever thought to boil or treat it first and the majority survived to beget us pitiful weaklings. (Actually, the VAST majority of them have died, but they begat us first.)
Don't be storing your beer this way, though.

Pappyhighlife
2007-06-04, 17:23
Yep I agree with the guys. To make the water taste better after long storage put the air back in it by pouring it from glass to glass or cup to cup it will put the air back in it and make the coffee or noodles tastes better