PDA

View Full Version : Getting old stinks!

dropkick
2007-06-09, 23:53
Bent down to put on my underwear and my back let out a soft "Pop!"
OOOWWWW!!!!!

So now I'm hobbling around the house wearing a back brace and using a cane to stand up.

Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow. Missed out on perfect hiking weather today.

I remember when my body didn't pull these little surprises.
.....I miss those days.....

Geo.
2007-06-10, 07:50
Bent down to put on my underwear and my back let out a soft "Pop!"

Could be worse - last time my 'back' let out a soft pop I had to change my underwear. ;)
Know what you mean though.
Like they say, "gettin' old ain't for cissies!"

oops56
2007-06-10, 08:02
Now getting old when you need glasses and put them down cant find cause you need glasses. Or you can only keep one thing in you head at a time like going to town to buy something i know i was after 3 or more things only can remember 1 and you forgot the paper that you wrote in on:bike:

Take-a-knee
2007-06-10, 09:15
Dropkick, that pop could have been a number of things, you need to get to a good orthopedic guy and get an Xray done. Depending on what the doc says, you need to get on a good stretching program as soon as he clears you to do so. If you don't have any bulging or herniated discs, you're chief complaint is most likely soft tissue, and physical therapy will fix that. Once the pain subsides, try this:
1) Find a chair or something 18in. tall to place your foot on.
2) KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT!
3) Bend forward at the waist (you might want to locate the chair so you have something to hold on to with one hand), and stretch that leg for 15-20 seconds.
4) Repeat for the other leg
5) Try to do this every hour throughout the day.

This is just one of many possible stretches/exercises that a good therapist will start you on, this is one we should all be doing. You may need some core strengthening also.

Amigi
2007-06-10, 17:15
I have arthritis in my big left toe, two blowing out discs, surgically repaired knees, C4-C6 are covered in bone spurs, the thecal canal in my neck is pinching, carpal tunnel in my right wrist ( now have to use a left handed mouse ), and suffered a subarachnoidal bleed 3 years ago leaving me with perpetual migraines....

Who cares, live life the best ya can, and hike when EVER you can. I am one of those who feel like I'm in church when I'm in the woods.

Geo.
2007-06-10, 20:33
Dropkick, that pop could have been a number of things, you need to get to a good orthopedic guy and get an Xray done. Depending on what the doc says, you need to get on a good stretching program as soon as he clears you to do so. If you don't have any bulging or herniated discs, you're chief complaint is most likely soft tissue, and physical therapy will fix that. Once the pain subsides, try this:
1) Find a chair or something 18in. tall to place your foot on.
2) KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT!
3) Bend forward at the waist (you might want to locate the chair so you have something to hold on to with one hand), and stretch that leg for 15-20

Good advice Take-a-knee!
I've been lucky as far as back pain goes and I put it down to regular stretching exercises that I've done daily for maybe 20yrs now. (a legacy learnt from karate training of long ago!)
Every day I sit on the deck with my legs out in front of me, then bend one leg at the knee and back to my side flat on the ground, then bend forwards to get my chest down on the other leg that's extended to the front of me. This stretches the same areas as you described.
I'll then lie belly down and do a 'press up', fully straightening my arms but keeping my hips on the deck, and hold for a 10 seconds or so. This helps the lower back.
I reckon back problems (if not genetic) are caused mainly by a combination of lack of suppleness and/or too much weight in the gut pulling the spine out of kilter, so if you can sort those factors out, it's got to be a move in the right direction.

Jim Henderson
2007-06-11, 13:24
Yup, as we age, we get paid visits from friends of our younger days.

The conversation usually goes like this, me... "Ow ow ow". Back... "remember when you were showing off by lifting the engine block when you were 20?"

Now that I am fuh fuh fuh fifty, lots of little reminders.

Some older friends told me lots of stuff starts to pop after 50. My mom tells me it is all down hill after 60, oh joy. And of course my doctor says this is the year that they start to use the rubber hose on me, huh? Something about Sig somebody.

Now at 50 I just discovered I have arthritis in my right shoulder, what a pita. Feels like someone stuck a match in the socket when I do certain things. I still have the power to lift stuff, but I don't like it and sleeping on that side can be a pain. Friend of mine told me this would happen years ago. Said those of us who lifted lots of loads with our arms and shoulders when we were young( he milked cows, I played with engines and heavy stuff) get this when we get older.

At least my legs and knees are in decent shape, I once told my wife my legs were the best part of me, as I flexed my mucsles and then had leg cramps, traitorous body parts. I have a friend who is maybe 10 years older and he has two artificial knees, that has got to be fun.

Well, I guess the alternative is worse, we could be pushing up daisies, so I guess I will use what I got and keep it in gear.

Jim Henderson

Thudley
2007-06-11, 13:48
Some older friends told me lots of stuff starts to pop after 50. My mom tells me it is all down hill after 60, oh joy. Jim Henderson

Jim,
Hang in there. I'm 69 now and still very active with no health concerns yet. I think the reason is that I've always treated injuries properly and never tried to "gut" my way through. The only major injury I had was a spinal compression that occurred in an ejection. The Doc told me to take up running to strengthen my back muscles, and I've had no problems with it since (although I am 1" shorter than prior to the event).

If you maintain an active life style and have a good outlook on life in general, I think you'll find that gettin' "old" ain't all that bad. :beer:

CoyoteWhips
2007-06-11, 16:42
Wow. As I approach 50, I feel fortunate that I've barely used my body at all. A couple of years ago I had a nasty flu and my doctor decided that I also had asthma. I brought home an inhaler. Lungs made a funny whistling noise at bed time. My knees were going -- apparently not rated for 320+ pounds. Any kind of cramp or mysterious pain in the chest area made me pause and wonder if it was the early stages of that massive heart attack.

Fortunately, about this time last year, I stumbled on some lifestyle changes that put me on a new vector. The weight has been dropping off. Recently I fell into the weight class for a new Hennessy Hammock Desert Rat, which is why I found this forum. I'm easing into some overnight hiking.

When you feel a little better and healthier every month, what do they call that? Seems like just the opposite of aging. At some point I'll be past repairing past damage and entropy will reassert herself. Right now, though, I'm looking forward to the next decade.

Frolicking Dino
2007-06-11, 19:34
I'm in general agreement about old age. When the dinos get out of bed, it kinds sounds like popcorn popping these days. :D

Iceman
2007-06-12, 23:58
Testing, testing, testing, no posts today.... you all must be getting really old, did you forget?

sailingsoul
2007-06-13, 18:00
This thread stinks. Here's my $.02. This thread started out with a "POP" that delivered a real bang. Even Giants are mortal and can suffer from the mistake of taking on one more straw or putting on a underwear. This thread is titled "getting old stinks". I disagree ! I think getting old is great. Going about living exposes us to injuries. Some of them leave residual damage, that stinks. Getting old(er) from my point of view is great because I learn. That knowledge makes my living better. Who, old enough hasn't thought "I wish I knew when I was younger, what I know now". You couldn't say that if you weren't older. Hell! sometimes I think "OUCH! I knew that was going to happen, OOOWW!" and that stinks. This happens from not having or implementing knowledge. So here's to life, getting old, getting older and never thinking, getting old stinks. Don't get me wrong I have in the past thought "getting old stinks" then I got older had the same thought again and again. Then it hit me. This thought stink!! I recognized I couldn't destroy it, so I did the only thing I could, I replaced it with "in five years I'm going to wish I as young as I am now". Any time you think getting old stinks, think " in five years I going to wish, I'm as young as I am now". I say to everyone "enjoy your youth, because when think your old, your as good as dead". IMHO SS :captain:

JAK
2007-06-14, 16:05
Speaking of getting old I turned 45 today. Going on a small hike. Cheers.

sailingsoul
2007-06-14, 17:31
Happy, happy birthday, Jak. Just think you could have 45 more or more! Wouldn't that be nice! SS:captain:

Frolicking Dino
2007-06-14, 17:51
45 !!! Happy birthday, you young whipper-snapper.

Amigi
2007-06-15, 19:55
Damn, happy belated birthday dude. I was too busy yesterday to blog or post.
Cheers.