PDA

View Full Version : Rope?

Spice1
2007-06-23, 12:40
Any of you guys carry rope? I always carried 550 cord, but I also knew that wasn't rope. I recently accquired 200 feet of climbing/rapelling rope and have been working on teaching the girl all the fun things I learned in Air Assault school. It would have come in handy in two places on our last hike, and I can think of dozens of places where I could have used it in the past, but I never owned any. The more I use it on my 40 acres (recently had to measure 400 feet down the side of a ridge to estimate pipe length from our water tanks which included a very fun fast rope off a madrone down the last 25 feet, amazing the 18 year old volunteers helping me. )

But honestly, in every case before, I found another way around without rope. In the case of the 12 streams that turned out to be chest deep torrential surges, we had to cruise through on a kind man's giganitic 4x4 pickup truck. There was no way I was fording those without ropes, and even with ropes, I doubt I could have convinced my fiance that we could do it.

So I'm curious? Do any of you guys carry rope, and if so, what kinds and what uses do you find for it? I have been considering doing a multi-tarp setup, since learning how to make hammocks last year, and could use climbing rope to secure the hammock, leaving it in a long length for traversing with a shorter length used as an expedient swiss seat.

Bear
2007-06-23, 13:48
Spice,
I have been camping almost all my life and when camping out of a car I always carry plenty of rope. My backpacking experience is limited but I have always felt that heavy rope is too bulky and heavy to carry on the trail. When it comes to crossing steams, especially chest deep and with a current, I am not going to even try. I once read a chart that listed water depth and current flow that was required to sweep you off your feet. I was amazed at how little it took. I am surprised the 4X4 you spoke of made it across.

While on a Boy Scout canoe trip in Manitoba years ago one of the boys dropped a large cook pot in a stream that connected two lakes. I took a couple of steps into the stream and knew right off there was no way I could even get knee deep and I am 200 pounds. Fortunately the pot washed into a calm shallow spot in the stream and we were able to retrieve it out of the water.

The consequences if you lose your grip on the rope while crossing a swollen creek or river are too great for me.

Amigi
2007-06-23, 15:15
When hiking I carry that ultralight ultrastrong twine Rock recommended me awhile back. Cant remember the name of it, but I'm sure he knows.

Turk
2007-06-23, 17:44
I carry rope on every trip.
Whether in canoes or kayaks, I think 2 - 50ft coils of a good quality rope are essential. I really try and evaluate the rope I carry as per the "lightweight" philosophy. For groups of 2-4 I usually carry one heavy rope, and one UL rope. I keep both coiled in a homemade mesh throw bag. I LOVE throw bags.
They are a great way to both carry a long rope and have it instantly accessible for a variety of tasks.

Here are my 2 top choices:

1 - 50' x 1/8" spectra 12 strand. B.S.=1650lbs I believe. I use this primarily for hanging my food bag, and lining my kayaks and canoes through shallow rapid sections. Its fantastic around camp. I think it is identical to the hammock lines on the HHULBA. This is the stuff I use for clotheslines, extending my hammock pitch, and experimental moose perimiter. A really great, extremely light general utility rope. Never snarls in the throw bag, floats in water and retains an almost wire-like stiffness. LOVE IT! Highly recommend picking some up. My DIY version weighs 6oz with bag and 2 D-ring tensioners
Here is a commercially available one. A bit overkill and pricey. But good.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1823&deptid=961

1 - 50' x 3/8 nylon double braid glow rope. Pretty cool. Just got this stuff as a present. Only had it out on my last trip in May. It serves as my heavy duty line for hauling boats up steep inclines, ferrying, setting up multi-hang hammock pitches etc. Pretty cool at night, when slung around a camp site with alot of trees. I haven't figured out how to photograph it glowing at night, without making it just look white and ruining the picture with flash. If I am only backpacking, a rope of this size stays home and I stick with the spectra. When there is grunt work to be done, you just need a fairly thick rope in your hands or even with gloves on, small dia ropes will leave you looking like hamburger at the end of the day.
http://www.pelicanrope.com/glowropes.html

Turk
2007-06-23, 17:51
Spice, not sure what you mean by multi-tarp set up. But I posted a pick in another thread of a multi-hang set up using 3/8" nylon rope. I had no problem at all with bounce, or tension supporting 2 adults and hammocks off that size of line. In most recent use, I keep one adult supported by trees, and myself and 4yr old suspended by tension rope. Just for safety.
pics here:
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2282&page=2

Take-a-knee
2007-06-23, 18:01
A section of bluewater 11mm static rope will unstick a toyota truck, I think they make a 7mm cord that would be strong enough for anything but technical climbing while hiking. They make a 9mm that is climb rated now. Static rope with the knowledge and gear (slings, pulleys etc.) to set up a Z-haul can break a stuck canoe free from a rock, drag a deer up a steep bank, etc, etc.

deadeye
2007-06-23, 18:43
Rope? Nope. But I do carry along about 30-50 feet (tops) of mason's twine. Nylon, about 1/8", and strong enough for hanging a food bag, pitching a tarp, or general repairs.

Amigi
2007-06-23, 20:24
On the topic of "line", does everyone here carry a small roll of unwaxed dental floss? I have forever. You can sew with it, stitch bad cuts if necessary, fix a tent or rain gear, tie up young wom... forget you read that one. The stuff is God-awful strong. Oh, and you can clean your teeth, too!

Iceman
2007-06-24, 10:52
Spice, I have must often carried a small hank of double braid rope used in boating applications, about 20'. Basically my deer drag rope, round shape and softer to the hands than others IMHO. Have used it to help traverse a few scary sections, but 20' doesnt really help you do much...maybe assure that both hikers will fall to their deaths...Like Deadeye, I also have some poly masons twine in my kit, bright pink, easy to see at camp when used for drying clothes, guyouts... No stretch mason line is pretty strong stuff.

Turk, that glow in the dark stuff is really cool--gotta get some!

Amigi, I floss with food. :biggrin:

dropkick
2007-06-25, 02:32
Unless I'm boat or car camping I don't carry rope, but in place of it I carry:
1) a small reel of 80 lb test Spiderwire braided fishing line for emergency repairs, snares, stiches, etc.
2) 50 foot of para cord for my bear bag or any other purpose I might need it for (this is why I carry 50 ft instead of the 30 really needed for my bear bag).
3) an undetermined amount of nylon kite string wrapped around a piece of cardboard (I use this to tie up anything that I'm not real worried about breaking loose and blowing away, plus as clothes line - much cheaper than spiderwire or para cord, but still fairly strong and I don't mind cutting it for a single job)
4) eight 10 foot lengths of para cord tied to my tarp (I leave these attached so I won't loose them)
5) two 10 foot lengths of 1" webbing for hanging my hammock.
6) occasionally I bring 30 foot of 1/4 steel cable for my bear bag (I've been told some bear and racoon have learned to chew the rope through)

I would most likely kill myself if I tried to repel down a cliff or rock so I walk around.

Turk
2007-06-25, 10:33
Here is the best price I have found on that glow rope:
http://www.aksarbendistributing.com/products/rope/rope.html

the 1/16" would be nice for tarp tie-outs. And only $0.18 per ft.

sailingsoul
2007-06-26, 10:53
Very intriguing ! Do you have some of this glow rope Turk? The first thing I read after clicking on your link was "Our nylon ropes glow all night long!". I remember seeing "glow in the dark" items in the past. They required charging from a light source and would start to dim slowly once in the dark, they didn't last all night long. So, this claim is surprising. I researched on the net and have not found information supporting this ability. I know that some areas in extreme North and South Latitudes have times when nights that lasts a few hours. Maybe this is their case. Can anyone give any user feed back on this rope? Even with limitations it could be of value when camping etc.. Knowing them would be helpful in considering uses. Thanks. SS

Turk
2007-06-26, 16:35
The link I posted to is not the same brand of glow rope I have. Mine is good for maybe 2hrs tops. It claims 3-4 hrs, but its a hard call. Also, any dirt or mud on the rope seriously impedes the glow intensity.

I am also interested in the claims of this "all night glow" from the company in that link. Might have to buy some of the 1/16" stuff and find out. The glow rope I have is 3/8.
I thought about buying some of their other stuff just to play with. Like imagine a tarp sprayed in waterproof glow paint!
.... and then I saw their price at $350.00 a gallon :(