PDA

View Full Version : Straw Box Cooking

CoyoteWhips
2007-06-25, 09:52
I've been playing with my alcohol stoves. They seem very good for getting water to a boil, but then the fuel runs out -- not good for simmering.

A straw box is a big box, lined with straw -- yeah, that's a stretch -- put a boiling bot of beans in it and the insulation keeps it hot while the food cooks. Like a slow cooking crock pot that you don't have to plug in.

At home, I've done this with my wide-mouth stainless steel thermos. Little bit of meat, some veggies, spices, boiling water; then just leave it alone a few hours until it it's stew. However, the thermos weighs about three pounds.

We have one of those As-Advertised-On-TV pasta makers. Put in a handful of spaghetti and boiling water. Fifteen minutes later it's ready to go. Still kind of heavy.

I'm thinkin' something cut out of a windshield shade and some CC foam with snug space for a beer can to keep it cozy while my pasta cooks.

Has anybody already invented this wheel, before I head down to Coyote Labs for some research?

Skidsteer
2007-06-25, 17:11
I've been playing with my alcohol stoves. They seem very good for getting water to a boil, but then the fuel runs out -- not good for simmering.

A straw box is a big box, lined with straw -- yeah, that's a stretch -- put a boiling bot of beans in it and the insulation keeps it hot while the food cooks. Like a slow cooking crock pot that you don't have to plug in.

At home, I've done this with my wide-mouth stainless steel thermos. Little bit of meat, some veggies, spices, boiling water; then just leave it alone a few hours until it it's stew. However, the thermos weighs about three pounds.

We have one of those As-Advertised-On-TV pasta makers. Put in a handful of spaghetti and boiling water. Fifteen minutes later it's ready to go. Still kind of heavy.

I'm thinkin' something cut out of a windshield shade and some CC foam with snug space for a beer can to keep it cozy while my pasta cooks.

Has anybody already invented this wheel, before I head down to Coyote Labs for some research?

Yep. They're called cooking cozies and there are bunches of variations.

Good place to start. (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com)

oops56
2007-06-25, 17:24
Yep just made one took took 3 min. a wool hat put a drew string in it all set.