PDA

View Full Version : Researchers heading to the U.P. to look for Bigfoot evidence

GGS
2007-06-27, 03:20
Read in the Lansing State Journal, http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/NEWS01/706260355

Associated Press

MANISTIQUE - Researchers will visit the Upper Peninsula next month to search for evidence of the hairy manlike creature known as "Bigfoot" or "Sasquatch."

The expedition will center in eastern Marquette County, following the most recent Bigfoot eyewitness account, said Matthew Moneymaker of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.

"We'll be looking for evidence supporting a presence. ... We hope to meet local people who might have seen a Sasquatch or heard of someone else who had an encounter," Moneymaker told the Daily Press of Escanaba.

[Advertisement]

Most experts consider the Bigfoot legend to be a combination of folklore and hoaxes, but there are a number of authors and researchers who think the stories could be true.

Among all U.P. counties, Marquette County has logged the most reported Bigfoot sightings with four, Moneymaker said. Bigfoot encounters also have been reported in Ontonagon, Baraga, Dickinson, Luce and Schoolcraft counties.

In all but three of 30 expeditions in the United States and Canada, BFRO investigators have either glimpsed Bigfoot or gotten close enough to hear the creature, Moneymaker said.

Dr. Grover Krantz, a scientist specializing in cryptozoology, believes Bigfoot is a "gigantopithecus," a branch of primitive man believed to have existed 3 million years ago.

But mainstream scientists tend to dismiss the study as pseudoscience because of unreliable eyewitness accounts and a lack of solid physical evidence.
----------
GGS Comments:

LOL!

Great. My hiking not only includes the risk of possibly encountering one of 19,000 Michigan black bears or one of 434 wolves... Now it includes the possibility of seeing a glimpse of Bigfoot!

I wonder... Since, say 1900...

How many [human] deaths have been attributed to a Bigfoot attack?
How many maulings have been attributed to a Bigfoot attack?
How many car/Bigfoot collisions have occured?
How many livestock/pet deaths have been suspected to be caused by Bigfoot? Or if Bigfoot is a vegetarian, how much crop or forest foliage damage?
Does anyone know whether Bigfoot is a vegetarian, an omnivore, or a carnivore?
Would pepper spray work against Bigfoot? Would just a 2oz bottle work or would you need to get the 8oz "fire extinguisher" type?
Is Bigfoot afraid of dogs?
Is my dog afraid of Bigfoot? Or will she jump on it for attention? Gotta know this stuff, she can't jump up for attention...
Is Bigfoot a transplanted species from outer space?
Will the above article result in a show on the Discovery channel?
Does Marquette County get too much snow thus too many people infected with Cabin Fever? Has such a study been done? Is there a link between the results of this study and Bigfoot sightings?
What are my chances of encountering Bigfoot? Of getting a glimpse of Bigfoot? Of stepping in Bigfoot s--t?
Will Bigfoot be afraid of me in my Hennessy? Will he view it/me as a "Bigfoot Pinata"? Will Bigfoot try to climb in and sleep with me?

...So much to worry about... So few answers...

-GGS

Iceman
2007-06-27, 23:42
Hopefully these researchers are privately funded.

I love the idea of Bigfoot, but the reality out here is; come elk season, every damned canyon to every ridge top will have some dufus (like me) slogging thru it, over it and under it, in search of Wapiti, the real bigfoot. In so many years, still no wild eyed elk hunter has blasted a bigfoot. Everything else yes, bigfoot no.

oops56
2007-06-28, 00:13
Yep Iceman i can see why you don't see one . With a cup coffee in one hand and sun glasses or is the cup for Bigfoot.

dropkick
2007-06-28, 01:48
Was looking at some of the old pictures I had on my computer, popped up one of Iceman's pulk snowcamp and on closer examination danged if I didn't find Bigfoot sign. (It's amazing the new things I keep finding in this picture when I study it).
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/bigfoot.jpg
I think Iceman owes us an explanation!
Is he part of a Bigfoot cover up conspiracy?
Maybe he's taking part in some Bigfoot/extra-terrestrial/Elvis clone plan to take over the world. He could be spying for them even now!

Spice1
2007-06-28, 01:50
Come on! The researcher's name is Mathew Moneymaker.

And my bet is, ol mathew is gonna catch a glimpse of iceman up there, snap a few shots and sell them to the Weekly World News.

How much you wanna bet they are rolling in an RV?

Spice1
2007-06-28, 01:52
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/bigfoot.jpg

That image is obviously photoshopped.

The bed is still made.

BigJohn
2007-06-28, 09:10
I wonder... Since, say 1900...

How many [human] deaths have been attributed to a Bigfoot attack?
How many maulings have been attributed to a Bigfoot attack?
How many car/Bigfoot collisions have occured?
How many livestock/pet deaths have been suspected to be caused by Bigfoot? Or if Bigfoot is a vegetarian, how much crop or forest foliage damage?
Does anyone know whether Bigfoot is a vegetarian, an omnivore, or a carnivore?
Would pepper spray work against Bigfoot? Would just a 2oz bottle work or would you need to get the 8oz "fire extinguisher" type?
Is Bigfoot afraid of dogs?
Is my dog afraid of Bigfoot? Or will she jump on it for attention? Gotta know this stuff, she can't jump up for attention...
Is Bigfoot a transplanted species from outer space?
Will the above article result in a show on the Discovery channel?
Does Marquette County get too much snow thus too many people infected with Cabin Fever? Has such a study been done? Is there a link between the results of this study and Bigfoot sightings?
What are my chances of encountering Bigfoot? Of getting a glimpse of Bigfoot? Of stepping in Bigfoot s--t?
Will Bigfoot be afraid of me in my Hennessy? Will he view it/me as a "Bigfoot Pinata"? Will Bigfoot try to climb in and sleep with me?

...So much to worry about... So few answers...

Jeeze GGS, OUCH!! :ahhhhh:...put away the claws man...but I have to admit totally hilarious.:aetsch:

Iceman
2007-06-28, 10:51
Man, Ive got to stop wearing my ghillie suit, before I get shot!

Actually, that's my hunting buddy after a week long hunt, forgot his razor at home!:biggrin:

Dropkick, youv'e got way too much freetime on your hands! (I love it!)

GGS
2007-06-28, 16:49
Jeeze GGS, OUCH!! :ahhhhh:...put away the claws man...but I have to admit totally hilarious.:aetsch:

Sorry. It hit me as a parody of the black bear issue we were all discussing and I got on a roll and couldn't stop. :D

Thudley
2007-07-01, 09:15
We've been stomping around the woods here for a few weeks now, but alas...nos sign of Bigfoot. Whitehall, not far from here, is a prime area for Bigfoot researchers.

This week we're changing targets. It's off to lake Champlain to get a peek at Champie!

dropkick
2007-07-02, 02:47
Iceman had a glib explanation for the photographic evidence of him with Bigfoot (actually he had two!) Let's see him explain away this indisputable proof of the presence of the Lake Champlain Monster (Champie)!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/champy_big.jpg

GGS
2007-07-19, 18:45
Hopefully these researchers are privately funded.

A few years ago Discovery had a show on Loch Ness. The science vessel studying the lake used the Loch Ness Monster "hype" to generate funds to do an otherwise objective scientific study of the lake.

Hopefully something similar is being done here in the UP.