PDA

View Full Version : The World is a Emptier Place

KBob
2007-07-06, 12:34
I have not seen it posted here, so I will. On June 12th 2007, we lost Colin Fletcher. Most of you backpack because of books that he wrote. Books that made backpacking popular. He changed our world, at least I know he changed mine. I remember reading one of his books in early 73, a time of great trouble for our country, I had just returned from that trouble and found solice in backpacking in our "silent world". Thru the years I have enjoyed all of his books, and the outside world he wrote about. Now he is gone, but his words will live on. For those of you who haven't read him get a copy of "The Man who Walked Through Time" and "The Thousand Miles Summer" and of course "The Complete Walker"

Take-a-knee
2007-07-06, 14:46
I'm 47 and I read "The Complete Walker" in high school (it was in the library), I think I read it three or four times. Colin was a fan of the SVEA 123 stove, I bought one for twelve dollars in 76, it still works like new. I think Mr. Fletcher really started the ultralight trend, compared to today's gossamer types, his gear was heavy, but not compared to what it replaced. I remember reading that he was a WWII vet, his war experiences probably led him to the peace and solitude of the wilderness also.

dropkick
2007-07-07, 00:50
The Complete Walker is the best hiking/camping/outdoor book that I have ever read, and I have read many of them.

He will be sorely missed.

Spice1
2007-07-07, 02:24
I have to agree. I'm trying to get a book published now on non-conventional backpacking, and when my agent asked me, "is there any book out now that you hope your book could become" I cited the Complete Walker. Albsolutly brilliant, thorough and almost always at arms reach in my "office". . . Shamelessly right next to Commager's documents of american history.

Oh god, I've become my dad.

Fletcher will be missed.

KBob
2007-07-07, 09:12
The sad part of the story is after being hit by a vehicle while walking several years ago he had to live in an assisted living home. Death was probably a blessing to this active man. On the business side think of the companies that he "made" Trailwise, Kelty, Gregory, etc. All he had to do was mention that he used a piece of gear and it became a best seller. Take time to have a cup of Lipton in his memory.